Singapore Expats

Looking for American TV shows

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 3:23 am

WHOTTA ABOUT....the late night talk shows... cbs.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 11:25 am

taxico wrote:WHOTTA ABOUT....the late night talk shows... cbs.
Haven't seen any of those...that's in the download category. We watch Daily Show and Colbert Report off comedeycentral.com. Maybe the others are available on CBS' website? Not sure since I'm not a fan.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 6:50 pm

poodlek wrote:
Haven't seen any of those...that's in the download category. We watch Daily Show and Colbert Report off comedeycentral.com. Maybe the others are available on CBS' website? Not sure since I'm not a fan.
wow, does it work? i've tried in the past, and i usually get a msg telling me it won't work in my location...

i miss letterman.

previously cbs.com would only stream the monolog but not the whole show... then they revamped it and it disappeared.

i know the daily show international edition is shown on CNBC, but damnit, it's a mish-mash of the weeks' 5 eps, and it's annoyingly edited.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 08 Aug 2010 9:01 pm

taxico wrote:
poodlek wrote:
wow, does it work? i've tried in the past, and i usually get a msg telling me it won't work in my location...

i miss letterman.

previously cbs.com would only stream the monolog but not the whole show... then they revamped it and it disappeared.

i know the daily show international edition is shown on CNBC, but damnit, it's a mish-mash of the weeks' 5 eps, and it's annoyingly edited.
Oh yeah...my husband signed up for some (completely legal, I was assured) service that gives us an American IP, for the purpose of accessing American online media content. If you're interested I'll find out more about it from him and pass on the info.

joebean

American channels

Post by joebean » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 6:33 am

Thanks for the ideas guys. I saw www.a2btv.com in another forum and i think i like it. Tried their demo and it's live streaming from Los Angeles. No need to download coz all shows are updated. If anyone else is looking for real time American channels, i think you should check it out too.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Re: American channels

Post by Calmday » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:24 am

joebean wrote:Thanks for the ideas guys. I saw www.a2btv.com in another forum and i think i like it. Tried their demo and it's live streaming from Los Angeles. No need to download coz all shows are updated. If anyone else is looking for real time American channels, i think you should check it out too.
After reading this thread I checked this out. It looks pretty good. No more reruns for me.
Thanks for the link joebean

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 11:43 am

Calmday wrote:
joebean wrote:Thanks for the ideas guys. I saw www.a2btv.com in another forum and i think i like it. Tried their demo and it's live streaming from Los Angeles. No need to download coz all shows are updated. If anyone else is looking for real time American channels, i think you should check it out too.
After reading this thread I checked this out. It looks pretty good. No more reruns for me.
Thanks for the link joebean
I'll second that! Thanks joebean! I've often though about the Slingbox setup but I don't have high speed internet down on the farm and wireless is even iffy on a cell there. This looks like it might be the way to go. I could also trim my local Starhub package down to a minimum with only one or two single channel additions.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 4:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll second that! Thanks joebean! I've often though about the Slingbox setup but I don't have high speed internet down on the farm and wireless is even iffy on a cell there. This looks like it might be the way to go. I could also trim my local Starhub package down to a minimum with only one or two single channel additions.
SMS agreeing? Who's hacked his account?

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:19 pm

carteki wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll second that! Thanks joebean! I've often though about the Slingbox setup but I don't have high speed internet down on the farm and wireless is even iffy on a cell there. This looks like it might be the way to go. I could also trim my local Starhub package down to a minimum with only one or two single channel additions.
SMS agreeing? Who's hacked his account?
LOL

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 7:38 pm

:tongue: :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

joebean

Post by joebean » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 6:47 am

You're welcome guys! Just ordered my service and just waiting to be activated.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 1:57 am

I would just buy dvd boxed sets with all your fav shows.

Forget tv where you have to tune in to a certain channel, at a certain time... those days are over unless you're keen on catching something live (sports).

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 3:50 pm

The package comes with 100 hours of DVR. You can watch whatever you want whenever you want.

And in this day and age there is no reason to wait until your favorite show comes out in a box set. It usually over a year old by then.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 4:08 pm

Calmday wrote:The package comes with 100 hours of DVR. You can watch whatever you want whenever you want.

And in this day and age there is no reason to wait until your favorite show comes out in a box set. It usually over a year old by then.
If it's even available here... do they censor the DVDs too?

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Sun, 29 Aug 2010 4:31 pm

Yes it works here. It’s just a Los Angeles cable package that is forwarded to you via slingbox. There is some trick software that lets you control the cable receiver from your computer here in Singapore. I have a 10 meter HDMI cable so that I can plug my laptop to the TV while sitting on the couch.
I’m loving it. NHRA, NFL, sitcoms that aren’t 3 years old.