Singapore Expats Forum

Ideas exchange

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Coffeebreak

Ideas exchange

Postby Coffeebreak » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 2:01 am

I'm a 24yr old vibrant girl. I see alot of people complaining about having absolutely nothing to do in their free time or not having enough friends..

Seriously for me, I'm sick of sitting at cafes with friends talking about the same things, hanging out at clubs during weekends cuz it DOES nothing for me, catch movies ( That I hate - there's only so much movies you can watch ) , supper on the weekdays - Boring too since there's not much benefit and i end up overeating, overtalking , get exhausted the next day.

I'm starting to do new things now but i'm slowly getting sick of it.

- Flipping over books at Kinokuniya/borders and only able to buy one book because my salary won't allow it.

-Window shopping alone , putting a mental list of what i want to buy so i can work harder.

- Going to places like Arab Street, Old HDB Estates Shops.

Well i'm a boring person.. So MY POINT is..

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Of what to DO?

;)

unseen

Postby unseen » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 2:41 am

hmmm well picking up a hobby would be good.

heh try photography.. i'm getting into it.. i'd suggest spend some $$ on a good camera (i like the panasonic Z3 with mega zoom)
then you can start snapping pictures and maybe join the competition:
http://nikon.yahoo.co.jp/eng/web/index.html
if you're lucky, can make money out of it. otherwise, you can always occupy yourself by amazing at what wonderful pictures you can take.

Well, that's one wholesome thing you can do.
if you need excitement, can always go rock climbing, sky diving, yada yada..

Ed

Re: Ideas exchange

Postby Ed » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:39 am

Coffeebreak wrote:I'm a 24yr old vibrant girl. I see alot of people complaining about having absolutely nothing to do in their free time or not having enough friends..

Seriously for me, I'm sick of sitting at cafes with friends talking about the same things, hanging out at clubs during weekends cuz it DOES nothing for me, catch movies ( That I hate - there's only so much movies you can watch ) , supper on the weekdays - Boring too since there's not much benefit and i end up overeating, overtalking , get exhausted the next day.

- Flipping over books at Kinokuniya/borders and only able to buy one book because my salary won't allow it.

-Window shopping alone , putting a mental list of what i want to buy so i can work harder.

;)

As someone has mentioned, pick up a hobby, not expensiveone, maybe if u have a digital camera, you can take snap shots of places u been to and try to make a short story out of it. Quite cool.

For me, i find Singapore a boring place, not really a club person, so i just drive around town, i enjoy cruising with nice 80s music :lol:

YY

Postby YY » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:12 am

Do u want new things to do WITH company or alone?
anyway some suggestions:

Volunteer - it doesnt have to be a lifetime thing.. tell the organisation u want to get a 'feel', that u want to check yr comfort level and if they'd let u first spend a few hours or a day at that place..
Old Folk, handicapped, orphanges, etc

Places of worship - explore different ones (go to a buddhist temple one day, hindu temple another, a mosque. a church/churches... there's nothing wrong in doing that... just go and sit there, u dont have to participate.. just observe

Go to the spca or an animal farm and pet some animals

Organise a picnic

get together at someone's house and play some games...

At least u have some friends my dear... the ones i have are all with kids and boyfriends.. so whilst u have people to hang out with , i dont and long for company to do stuff with!!

Coffeebreak wrote:I'm a 24yr old vibrant girl. I see alot of people complaining about having absolutely nothing to do in their free time or not having enough friends..

;)