Singapore Expats

car - what can I expect for S$2000

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 5:46 pm

No further word from OP?

ian 66

Post by ian 66 » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 6:53 am

The point about child seats in cars is an interesting one.

We were out in Singapore last summer. We stayed with my brother-in-law who has a car. I felt very uncomfortable taking the children in the car and taxis without the child seats. I guess it is just what you are used to.

Since Singapore has strict laws on many things it is surprising to me that the use of child seats is not enforced. Could it be that there are significantly fewer major road accidents in Singapore (relative to population size) compared to say the UK for example???

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 7:08 am

That and the severity of the accidents here are much more minor (with exceptions).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

FlyingScotsman

Re: car - what can I expect for S$2000

Post by FlyingScotsman » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:40 am

We have three young kids therefore looking for something that can take 2 adults and 3 kids seats. [/quote]

Since kids seats were mentioned by the op I am assuming he is used to having them (yes, it is what you are used to) and he would like his kids to be as safe as they are at home rather than 'ok in a not-so-bad-accident rattling about in a taxi' in Singapore.

As for me, well, I would like a child safe taxi company to spring up in Singapore, since we can't all afford the luxury of a car of our own. Anybody want too take that on?
Hey ho...

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:50 am

ian 66 wrote:The point about child seats in cars is an interesting one.

We were out in Singapore last summer. We stayed with my brother-in-law who has a car. I felt very uncomfortable taking the children in the car and taxis without the child seats. I guess it is just what you are used to.

Since Singapore has strict laws on many things it is surprising to me that the use of child seats is not enforced. Could it be that there are significantly fewer major road accidents in Singapore (relative to population size) compared to say the UK for example???
Interestingly, Levitt and Dubner in their book SuperFreakonomics come to the conclusion, after testing, that for children over 2 years, child seats offer no more safety than traditional seat belts.

Even more interesting, stickers on the inside of taxis remind you that it is the law to wear a seat belt. Yet the same sticker shows occupancy of the backseat can be up to four children...I ain't never seen a Sonata or Crown with four seat belts on the back seat.

Why have a seat belt law, and then allow workers to ride in the back of trucks? Nobody said Singapore law is consistent :)

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:57 am

Found the Levitt and Dubner article on the NYT site from 2005:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/magaz ... .html?_r=1

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:30 pm

ian 66 wrote:The point about child seats in cars is an interesting one.

Sometimes I have to cringe when I read things like this. You already knew about the fact that child seats are a relative rarity here and yet you would deliberately take up a foreign Expat Posting to a country that doesn't have your same mindset. Singapore is strict but it is also pragmatic. :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 1:40 pm

curiousgeorge wrote: Even more interesting, stickers on the inside of taxis remind you that it is the law to wear a seat belt. Yet the same sticker shows occupancy of the backseat can be up to four children...I ain't never seen a Sonata or Crown with four seat belts on the back seat.
The mid seat belt is just a waist belt so I guess two children may fit under it.

watching_a_sunset
Regular
Regular

Post by watching_a_sunset » Sat, 07 Aug 2010 9:01 am

well unless you wouldnt mind buyin a 91' civic esi... which cost around 3 - 9 grand.. go to www.sgcarmart.com =]]... hope this helps :)

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Mon, 09 Aug 2010 5:05 am

I have used Prime cars for the last 2 years and they have been brilliant....I used Orix before and they were the opposite!
Call Fiona at Prime cars and you can even tell her I passed her name as she is so helpful.....
Any probs are sorted without any grief...great service and decent prices

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Aug 2010 10:30 am

watching_a_sunset wrote:well unless you wouldnt mind buyin a 91' civic esi... which cost around 3 - 9 grand.. go to www.sgcarmart.com =]]... hope this helps :)
I bought an excellent 92 Civic for $3,000. Trouble is that COE has to be renewed in September of next year. I can already see it is going to happen. Wife has seriously adjusted to having a car.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:58 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
watching_a_sunset wrote:well unless you wouldnt mind buyin a 91' civic esi... which cost around 3 - 9 grand.. go to www.sgcarmart.com =]]... hope this helps :)
I bought an excellent 92 Civic for $3,000. Trouble is that COE has to be renewed in September of next year. I can already see it is going to happen. Wife has seriously adjusted to having a car.
You will buy another "COE vehicle" :)

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 09 Aug 2010 1:54 pm

x9200 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
You will buy another "COE vehicle" :)
Since COE is refundable on a straight line basis, I'll probably renew and runn the wheels off it.

watching_a_sunset
Regular
Regular

Post by watching_a_sunset » Mon, 09 Aug 2010 7:37 pm

ahahah oh well ... at least its better off not havin a car =]

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 10 Aug 2010 8:24 am

Strong Eagle wrote: Since COE is refundable on a straight line basis, I'll probably renew and runn the wheels off it.
So if I understand this correctly you can terminate it at any time and get back your COE on prorated basis? Hmmm, pretty interesting option. Lots of COE cars looking really good. I guess a good car mechanic is a must before buying anything of this type.