Singapore Expats

Very slow mac internet connection

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
mateyboy

Very slow mac internet connection

Post by mateyboy » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 10:49 am

Hi I recently arrived in Singapore from the UK with my beloved iMac and since arriving here I have been experiencing very slow internet connection speeds for browsing, email etc.

I used speedtest.net and it reports the speed of my connection to be 0.2 mbps but when I run the same speedtest from a Macbook, PC or iphone they all record much higher results, up to 10 mbps.

The upload speed from the offending iMac is reported as about 1mbps

I've spent hours googling and trying different stuff and have gone through a multitude of things with Apple Support but nothing has worked. Included in the things I've adjusted are: DNS, MT, used different browers, pointed the iMac in different directions, connected to three or more different routers, both by wire and wirelessly.

I can only think there is something different about the network in Singapore that my iMac doesn't like and I need to adjust an obscure setting somewhere or something?

Does anyone have any ideas of something I can adjust, or a piece of hardware I could use to just bypass the problem?

Thanks

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 1:27 pm

You might try a Windows machine to see if your results are any different. This would tell you whether it is a machine issue or a network/service problem.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 9:13 pm

scarbowl wrote:You might try a Windows machine to see if your results are any different. This would tell you whether it is a machine issue or a network/service problem.
Possibly you missed the OP's comment:
I used speedtest.net and it reports the speed of my connection to be 0.2 mbps but when I run the same speedtest from a Macbook, PC or iphone they all record much higher results, up to 10 mbps.
?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 11:45 pm

I would suggest scanning for an internet worm!

Definition: Computer worms are malicious software applications designed to spread via computer networks. Computer worms are one form of malware along with viruses and trojans. A person typically installs worms by inadvertently opening an email attachment or message that contains executable scripts.
Once installed on a computer, worms spontaneously generate additional email messages contaning copies of the worm. They may also open TCP ports to create networks security holes for other applications, and they may attempt to "flood" the LAN with spurious Denial of Service (DoS) data transmissions.
Being embedded inside everyday network software, computer worms easily penetrate most firewalls and other network security measures. Antivirus software applications attempt to combat worms as well as viruses.

Also Known As: malware

Failing that, read this thread on the apple support forum, some have found a conflict between the modem firewall and airport express!

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 6&tstart=0

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:51 pm

have you checked the settings? I know, stupid question, but what version of Mac OS are you on?

Do you have any DNS settings specified? You need to check your connection to the router. Hardwired is always faster but if you're still getting a bottleneck on one machine but not the other then it's the machines settings. Do a comparison to see if one is setting them dynamically. Another thing to try is to renew your DHCP settings. That does help aswell sometimes. Personally I would have the 2 machines connected to the router at the same time and compare your network settings to see what's different.

What you might want to do is to remove all your settings, including airport and add them afresh. That might help resolve the problem. If it was just airport then there were problems last year on 10.5 but that's been resolved, and hallelujah Apple! That was a nightmare trust me.

I also don't think this sounds like malware. Macs luckily enough don't tend to suffer much on that side, nor any viruses. read this for more info http://www.macworld.com/article/142457/ ... lware.html

Just out of curiosity have you connected your iphone and tethered it to see if that gets you better speed?

And one final thing. Are you connecting to Singtel, Starhub or M1?

Starhub is crap, M1 is worse and Singtels ADSL or wireless stick are the only ones that the mac seems to like, well mine anyway.

If you need any other help just buzz. I own 4 macs now and have had about 10 or 11 over the years so know my way round them pretty well.
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

vivienshoshanna

Post by vivienshoshanna » Wed, 04 Aug 2010 2:27 pm

scarbowl wrote:You might try a Windows machine to see if your results are any different. This would tell you whether it is a machine issue or a network/service problem.
where to find windows machine?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 04 Aug 2010 2:46 pm

vivienshoshanna wrote:
where to find windows machine?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 04 Aug 2010 2:52 pm

why would you wanna find a windows machine?

I HATE MS products, bloody awful.

mateyboy

So far....

Post by mateyboy » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 11:29 am

Hi thanks for your suggestions.

I have checked the settings and compared with my Macbook which tends to have better speeds but is still way off that of a PC in connection speed.

I'm on the latest version of Mac OS, I've checked and no update available (Snow Leopard).

I've replaced the DNS settings on the Mac with Open DNS, but nothing changed.

Currently the option of hard wired isn't available since the router is located in a shared location not in my apartment (it's a Serviced Apartment). The landlord says Starhub routers are individually programmed so it couldn't be moved to my apartment (I do have cable connection) but I'm dubious about that.

I haven't tried renewing my DHCP - do you mean on the router? I can access the router control panel so I'll do that, I'll also check a similar setting on the Mac.

I've tried running the machines side by side and checking settings, as well as going through all the settings with Apple but nothing has jumped out as different.

I've deleted with Apple lots of settings and started again but haven't removed Airport, I'll try that. Also I did wonder if getting an external wireless card of some kind and plugging that in might help but am loathed to spend the money and then not be able to take it back if it doesn't. Carrefour who are good at returns don't have anything Mac compatible.

I hadn't thought of Malware, I know it's unlikely but worth checking so I will look into it.

I haven't tethered iPhone I'll try that although I've used Skype on the iphone and that also had connection speed issues although the Speedtest Iphone app suggests everything is fine. Skype on the other hand reported it as 'average' or below average speed at times.

It's Starhub I'm afraid.

Does this info inspire any other ideas?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Thu, 05 Aug 2010 12:04 pm

Then I suggest using star hubs proxy server settings, ring the tech support and request the proxy server settings, explain your problem. I had this problem on Singtel for a very long time, i was so cheesed off on my speed issues and phoned them, the proxy address solved the problem.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Fri, 06 Aug 2010 7:32 pm

If you're getting the same, slow speed via ethernet cable as well as wifi then something's up with the software.

You mentioned running Snow Leopard with all the updates, but you might want to install an anti-virus as something is definitely amiss. You can also see some additional information about the system under "Utilities", "System Profiler" (having the free app HimmelBar installed - it shows up as a cloud in the top bar - makes it easy to access call applications and utilities).

As for an antivirus (with firewall as well) I'd recommend VirusBarrier X6 by Intego as their software is specifically designed for the Mac (and not just a Mac version of a PC product).

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:45 am

I have a feeling its the dns servers. What version of os is the macbook running? the imac is running 10.6 right? 10.6 isn't as fast as 10.5 I've found. It's not a software problem per se. Without looking at your settings its hard to know. Maybe do a screen capture and email me. I'll compare to my own settings. I have 4 machines, 3 running 10.6 and 1 running 10.5 so I can compare against 2 of them for you.

Installing antivirus is gonna make it even worse. If there's a virus it's one that no-one has ever heard of. As yet there has not been any malicious viruses for macs, although I have a feeling that that'll change as macs become more and more popular.

Personally I'd ring starhub and moan my head off at them. Tell them you want a line reset and an engineer out to do a line test at your place with your mac. They'll more than likely be able to help but also I think you'll find that laptops have a stronger signal than the desk machines. Whether its the position of the card in them I'm not sure. My laptop has a mega signal on it and I can pick up wi-fi from about 5 floors each way.

Also, what card does your macbook have? Airport or Airport extreme?

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 11 Aug 2010 6:49 am

The OP mentioned that the problem persists when switching from wifi to ethernet.

Something is definitely off, because even with 10.6 internet use is lightning fast, there should be no crazy delays whatsoever.

I'd recommend trying out both Firefox and Safari, and when one is slowing down try to see if the same page will load up straight away using the other browser.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by prkravi » Sat, 28 Aug 2010 7:25 pm

I've done that test of comparison between Safari / Mozilla and Google Chrome on my Mac and I found it to be nothing to do with the browser as such. In most cases, a router on / off helped. I guess it some how renews the settings and helps. I'm with Starhub using a Macbook pro running on snow leopard.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Fri, 08 Oct 2010 3:04 am

I am not sure if you have resolved your issue yet.

If you want to check if dns is causing the problem, try going to a website by their IP number. Big companies are best avoided for this test as they do lots of tricky things to help balance traffic globally.

Universities are good for this. Try the following...

Open a web browser and connect to

http://118.138.255.250

Notice how quickly it loads. Does it come up straight away? Or does it take ages to load?

Now try doing the same but for ..

http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au

Observe the difference.

If the problem is dns then the first page will load up fast, and the second page will take a really long time if at all.

These are both addresses for the same machine. The general purpose Unix machine at Monash University in Australia.

If you feel the problem is Mac OS or hardware related, then you could always install Bootcamp and Windows on your Mac so it is dual boot. If the speed problems still occur under Windows, it is likely to be a hardware problem.

There are more obscure problems with network card chipsets and routers cache-ing values, but they are the type of problem you need to talk through with the technician on a help desk.

Good luck with it.