Singapore Expats Forum

To apply for EPEC or LTVP or PR from marriage??? Please help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aquariuswinnie

To apply for EPEC or LTVP or PR from marriage??? Please help

Postby aquariuswinnie » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 4:09 am

Hello all,

I am a female Singaporean by birth and I am currently working in the US in the pharmaceutical industry with a decent paying job. Had been living in the US for the past 13.5 years - graduating from college (undergrad and masters). I am still a Singapore citizen. I will be marrying my fiance (US citizen) this September in the US. All of my family are all still in Singapore, and due to tight family ties and missing home, we decided to move back to Singapore early next year (Jan 2011). My soon to be husband will like to find a job in Singapore after we move. Now, after reading the majority of the posts, I am still confused about the options to get him over to Singapore and eventually getting a job.

1. Most likely I will be applying for an EPEC for him (He went to the United States Naval Academy which is an approved school for EPEC application). Should I get a LTVP instead? Which one is more preferable? He has an electrical engineering degree and currently studying for his MBA in finance. Can I still apply for a PR for him while he is on his EPEC?

2. Now to the topic of PR. Seems like most people are having a tough time getting their application approved. My family is in the finance industry in Singapore, and my soon to be husband will like to get a job in the banking/finance sector. However, it seems like they prefer to hire people who is a SC or a PR. Can I apply for his PR immediately after we get married in the US without wasting time? I am worried that not being married in Singapore and registering with the ROM, along with < 1-2 years of marriage might affect our application. Should I wait until we move to Singapore and apply later (i.e. 1-2 years) to have a stronger application and hoping he can get get a job and be sponsored for a EP or S-pass while in Sg. We plan to register with ROM when we get to Singapore.

Saint and littlegreenman, I have read your success stories on getting the PR while applying overseas, congrats! Any thoughts and inputs much appreciated!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: To apply for EPEC or LTVP or PR from marriage??? Please

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 8:02 am

aquariuswinnie wrote:Hello all,

1. Most likely I will be applying for an EPEC for him (He went to the United States Naval Academy which is an approved school for EPEC application). Should I get a LTVP instead? Which one is more preferable? He has an electrical engineering degree and currently studying for his MBA in finance. Can I still apply for a PR for him while he is on his EPEC?

EPEC is thru MOM whereby LTVP is thru ICA. If you can get P1 under EPEC which min. salary is $7K per month then he is on the high end and getting PEP or PR will be much smoother.Approval in Principle EPEC before arriving here where you can do it online save the hassle of would be employers in SG to submit to MOM as he will already have it on hand. Getting the approval is one part, convincing MOM by the would be employer would be another on why they need to employ a foreigner instead of a local
Both have their pros and cons. To get LTVP you must get married . One of the concern is marriage of convenience. You have to proof to ICA that both of you are in for the long run so to speak

2. Now to the topic of PR. Seems like most people are having a tough time getting their application approved. My family is in the finance industry in Singapore, and my soon to be husband will like to get a job in the banking/finance sector. However, it seems like they prefer to hire people who is a SC or a PR.

This is very true

Can I apply for his PR immediately after we get married in the US without wasting time?
Given the current time and political grumbling by the man on the street, your guess is as good as mine. I would be incline to apply the LTVP first then settled down for another year or so b4 applying PR.

I am worried that not being married in Singapore and registering with the ROM, along with < 1-2 years of marriage might affect our application. Should I wait until we move to Singapore and apply later (i.e. 1-2 years) to have a stronger application and hoping he can get get a job and be sponsored for a EP or S-pass while in Sg. We plan to register with ROM when we get to Singapore.

This would be my preference

Saint and littlegreenman, I have read your success stories on getting the PR while applying overseas, congrats! Any thoughts and inputs much appreciated!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

aquariuswinnie

Postby aquariuswinnie » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:45 am

Thanks Mad Scientist for your response. I thought that you can't work under the EPEC? How can you qualify for a P1 if you don't have a job yet? Sorry that I am still confused.

- aquariuswinnie

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:59 am

aquariuswinnie wrote:Thanks Mad Scientist for your response. I thought that you can't work under the EPEC? How can you qualify for a P1 if you don't have a job yet? Sorry that I am still confused.

- aquariuswinnie

After Getting EPEC the person will be issued an LTSVP (LTSVP approval is also on a case by case basis). Using the LTSVP he can stay in Singapore to search for a job. He can't work while being on a EPEC/LTSVP.

If he secures a job and falls in the category of P1 then he can convert into a PEP (or) PR in future with ease is what MS was mentioning

For PEP refer

http://mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/pass ... fault.aspx

For other passes refer

http://mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/pass ... fault.aspx

Good Luck!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:02 am

aquariuswinnie wrote:Thanks Mad Scientist for your response. I thought that you can't work under the EPEC? How can you qualify for a P1 if you don't have a job yet? Sorry that I am still confused.

- aquariuswinnie

Take a look at the link below. What MS is saying is if hubby to be is currently earning the equivalent of SGD 7k which relates to a P1 pass he can apply for a PEP.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal ... _pass.html

aquariuswinnie

Postby aquariuswinnie » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:28 am

Saint, the last pay check that hubby to be was USD $5200 after taxes. So that will be SGD $7200-$7800 per month for the last salary that he made (As of July 2010).

"The last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be no more than six months from the time of the application. "

Sounds to me that I have until end of this year to apply for PEP even since he makes the min. salary requirement for PEP. We don't plan to move until Jan 2011? Can I apply for it now, or wait until we are ready to move (Nov/Dec 2010)? How long does a PEP take for approval?

Thanks all for your valuable input and feedback! :D

- Aquariuswinnie

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:46 am

aquariuswinnie wrote:Saint, the last pay check that hubby to be was USD $5200 after taxes. So that will be SGD $7200-$7800 per month for the last salary that he made (As of July 2010).

"The last drawn fixed monthly salary overseas should be no more than six months from the time of the application. "

Sounds to me that I have until end of this year to apply for PEP even since he makes the min. salary requirement for PEP. We don't plan to move until Jan 2011? Can I apply for it now, or wait until we are ready to move (Nov/Dec 2010)? How long does a PEP take for approval?

Thanks all for your valuable input and feedback! :D

- Aquariuswinnie

Only apply for PEP just prior to when you plan to come to Singapore next Jan. The reason being that your unemployment period in Singapore can not exceed 6 months. It takes about 5 weeks to process the application.

The only problem I can see is you will have to personally submit the PEP application at a SingPost as the online process requires a SingPass. So it might make sense to come to Singapore in Jan 2011 and apply for a LTSVP and at the same time submit PEP application in person.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:18 pm

Saint wrote:
The only problem I can see is you will have to personally submit the PEP application at a SingPost as the online process requires a SingPass. So it might make sense to come to Singapore in Jan 2011 and apply for a LTSVP and at the same time submit PEP application in person.

You can apply for PEP when you are close to come over to Singapore. But you can apply for PEP from you being in US itself through a local contact in Singapore

Overseas applicants are required to submit their applications manually. You will be required to send the completed original application form to a local contact in Singapore. The local contact can then submit the application form and pay the $10 application fee to SingPost post office on the applicant’s behalf.

You can also refer below for applying from overseas. Refer Page 4 Question "How can I apply for a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)?"

http://www.contactsingapore.sg/faqs/?subcatid=8

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 5:05 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Saint wrote:

You can apply for PEP when you are close to come over to Singapore. But you can apply for PEP from you being in US itself through a local contact in Singapore

Overseas applicants are required to submit their applications manually. You will be required to send the completed original application form to a local contact in Singapore. The local contact can then submit the application form and pay the $10 application fee to SingPost post office on the applicant’s behalf.

You can also refer below for applying from overseas. Refer Page 4 Question "How can I apply for a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)?"

http://www.contactsingapore.sg/faqs/?subcatid=8

That kind of contradicts what it says on the MOM where it state you have to go to SingPost in person, so not sure.

Anyway I'm quite sure anyone who submits their PEP that way will only be donating the $10 fee towards the NDP fireworks display :cool:

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 5:28 pm

Hi Saint,
Just my 2 cents. I think it does not contradict. Please refer the link below taken from the FAQ Section of PEP from the MOM Site

http://ifaq.mom.gov.sg/CustomerPages/Th ... sID=665772

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 5:33 pm

•Submit the completed Personalised Employment Pass Application Form and supporting documents in person at any SingPost post office (MOM-appointed collecting agent).

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... ionprocess

Would be interesting to know just how many overseas PEP submitted by a local contact were actually approved

aquariuswinnie

Postby aquariuswinnie » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 9:41 pm

Singapore Flyer and Saint,

Thanks so much for sharing your adcive and knowledge, I will not be able to figure this out on my own.

Although my parents live in Singapore and had no difficulties to submit the application and pay the $10 at the SingPost, it seems unclear if we have to do it in person or have a local contact representative. In any case, we will apply for it (manual application) when we are in Sg. We don't want to risk getting the application delayed (5 weeks isn't too bad of a wait).

Now, I am still confused between EPEC or LTSVP. Looking at the ICA application for LTSVP, it seems that I will need to have a job in Sg when I apply and I don't have tax returns from Sg (I only have US tax returns since I had been working in the US only) and CPF contributions? It appears that the EPEC will be the more straightforward approach for my fiance (his college was in the EPEC approved list).

Please advise, once again, thanks for all your input! :D

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:22 pm

accidentally double posted and deleted
Last edited by singaporeflyer on Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:26 pm

aquariuswinnie wrote:Singapore Flyer and Saint,

Thanks so much for sharing your adcive and knowledge, I will not be able to figure this out on my own.

Although my parents live in Singapore and had no difficulties to submit the application and pay the $10 at the SingPost, it seems unclear if we have to do it in person or have a local contact representative. In any case, we will apply for it (manual application) when we are in Sg. We don't want to risk getting the application delayed (5 weeks isn't too bad of a wait).

Now, I am still confused between EPEC or LTSVP. Looking at the ICA application for LTSVP, it seems that I will need to have a job in Sg when I apply and I don't have tax returns from Sg (I only have US tax returns since I had been working in the US only) and CPF contributions? It appears that the EPEC will be the more straightforward approach for my fiance (his college was in the EPEC approved list).

Please advise, once again, thanks for all your input! :D

LTSVP for spouse will be granted only if ICA is convinced that the applicant would be financially able to support the dependant's (the person on LTSVP) stay in SG.

I personally feel it would be easy for him to go through the PEP route as he has a salary > 7000 SGD.

You can submit it through your local contact manually in November end for you to come over here in January.

Option 2 would be to go through the EPEC and LTSVP through EPEC with which he can search for a job in SG
Good Luck !

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:53 am

In addition to singaporeflyer's advice, please take note that getting an EPEC from MOM does NOT mean that ICA will give you a LTVP for one year. There are instances recently where an LTVP has actually be denied. So, don't count any chicken until they have hatched. I would agree that the PEP sounds a lot more reasonable at the moment if you have the income history to back it up.