Singapore Expats Forum

PRC Fiancé's Student Pass Application Rejected.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
beibei

PRC Fiancé's Student Pass Application Rejected.

Postby beibei » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:32 pm

Hi all,

I am a local female of 29yo; Need some valuable advice and here is the case below:

1. Fiancé is from China, an Ex-WP holder, had worked in SG last year as a performing artiste.
2. We had the intention to ROM in SG; initially applied social visit pass for him to visit SG but was rejected. Was told we needed permission to marry from MOM. Sent the application to MOM > permission granted > appeal to ICA to grant entry > Visa for short stay visit approved.
3. Concurrently, had applied for student pass to study English in Singapore. (He has intention to pursue a music degree in SG, hence to study English 1st).
4. He is now in SG on short stay visa. We had the intention to ROM only next year (for the sake of letting my parents to get to know him better first).

Now, we just got news from the school that his student pass is rejected. The school is also unable to give us a good reason, but there are some speculation:

a) In the application, his main financial support comes from me, but since we are not married yet, ICA will consider that he does not have any financial means to support himself.
b) He has been out of school for too long; had been working since graduated from high school in year 2000.

From the above details, can anyone advise what could have gone wrong in the student pass application? If we wish to appeal, what other information/documents can we provide which could be helpful?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jul 2010 11:12 pm

Probably the fact that he has no visible means of support. Unless there is a legal bind between you two, your contribution is not considered. Also, it's doubtful that MOM would grant a pass for only an English course. He would need to enroll in a full course of study I would think.

candypants

Postby candypants » Sat, 31 Jul 2010 3:37 pm

i think the fact that he was an ex-WP holder could have affected it..furthermore i believe that the financial statements have to be from direct family members. They don't really need to support him, just 3-6 months pay slips and bank statements should be ok :).

hope it all works out when you guys try again.