Singapore Expats

Physical and speech therapy for children

Are you looking for a Special Needs School for your child? Discuss the options here.
crelfma

Physical and speech therapy for children

Post by crelfma » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:38 am

Hi, I have a 21 month old daughter who has developmental delay and we're planning to move to Singapore next year while my husband goes to business school. Do anyone know how much does physical therapy and/or speech therapy for children cost in Singapore? Or is there any government funded programs that would provided therapy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:24 pm

Hi, private speech/physio/occupational therapy will cost anything from 120 to 200 per hour, depending on the place, facilities, location etc.

To get subsidy for such services (delivered in hospitals and polyclinics) one has to be Singaporean or PR. Then, you may qualify for some % of discount. I do not know exactly how it works, but you can get from 40% to 70-80% subsidy. In hospitals 45 minutes session (or half an hour, depending on the place) costs something between 60-100 dollars. The frequency of the therapy is not that convenient as in private sector (where you can get services even few times a week), you will have visits once a month or even less frequently.

You may wish to contact local professional associations for each of the disciplines SHAS for speech (www.shas.org.sg) and SPA for physiotherapy (http://www.physiotherapy.org.sg/) to get information how to proceed with hospital based therapy.

crelfma

Post by crelfma » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:10 pm

gravida wrote:Hi, private speech/physio/occupational therapy will cost anything from 120 to 200 per hour, depending on the place, facilities, location etc.

To get subsidy for such services (delivered in hospitals and polyclinics) one has to be Singaporean or PR. Then, you may qualify for some % of discount. I do not know exactly how it works, but you can get from 40% to 70-80% subsidy. In hospitals 45 minutes session (or half an hour, depending on the place) costs something between 60-100 dollars. The frequency of the therapy is not that convenient as in private sector (where you can get services even few times a week), you will have visits once a month or even less frequently.

You may wish to contact local professional associations for each of the disciplines SHAS for speech (www.shas.org.sg) and SPA for physiotherapy (http://www.physiotherapy.org.sg/) to get information how to proceed with hospital based therapy.
Hi Gravida,

Thank you so much for the information. Since we're not Singaporean or PR, we'll have to pay everything out of pocket. :( Do you have any recommendation for a good private speech/physio/occupational therapist?

Thanks again!

gravida
Chatter
Chatter

Post by gravida » Sat, 24 Jul 2010 5:28 pm

I am too related to the business to recommend, it would not be ethical.
I am sorry.
The best recommendation is anyway from other parents, who are clients of such therapy practices, so lets hope somebody else will answer your post :)

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Sat, 24 Jul 2010 6:29 pm

My daughter is going to dynamics for OT and ST

We've been very happy with her progress and she's happy to go there.

crelfma

Post by crelfma » Sun, 25 Jul 2010 11:42 am

merichan wrote:My daughter is going to dynamics for OT and ST

We've been very happy with her progress and she's happy to go there.
Thanks for the replies.

Merichan, how much does Dynamics charge for OT and ST?

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Miss Swan » Sun, 01 Aug 2010 9:35 am

A friend of mine, Germaine, just returned from a work attachment after graduating from Sydney where she took a Masters in Creative Music Therapy.

She's been through several work attachments, using specialized creative music programs for both children and adults with autism, developmental delays and special needs.

I think she'll be able to help your daughter progress well, as her lessons are individually tailored and one-to-one, so there's 100% attention between teacher and child. She has a website:

http://www.taramusicstudio.com/

For Germaine's contact number, please drop me a PM.