Singapore Expats Forum

NS defaulter gets sentence reduced to fine

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

NS defaulter gets sentence reduced to fine

Postby Koalabear » Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:30 am

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 40/1/.html

This is getting interesting. I wonder if the prosecutors will appeal for the sake of appeal or appeal to really hammer out jail time. Im really eager to read the judgement letter.

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Koalabear » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 9:46 am

Judgement Letter: http://www.singaporelawwatch.sg/remweb/ ... medium=rss

Moral of the story: as long as you did not show intention of defaulting on purpose, did not enjoy socio economic benefits and can prove that your parents f you up, its more likely a fine, regardless of the duration of default.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:16 am

Provided which, your crime (sic!) has been committed BEFORE they change the law and make it mandatory that there is a custodial sentence. That seemed to also weigh heavily in the summation as well. So, caveat emptor. :-|

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Calmday » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 5:16 pm

I still don’t get the dodging NS thing. I mean it can’t be the that tough. The NS guys here look like Joe S*** the rag bag man (US Vets will understand). 300lbers are everywhere and I still can’t figure out when they are supposed to have their head gear on. Some ware it inside and some outside but most of the time they just don’t ware it. Shoe polish must be very expensive here as well. I do kinda like the iPods and colorful back packs. You would get your butt busted in most real militaries but this seems to be kinda like going to collage ore something.
NS can’t be any tougher than going to summer camp. Why does everyone want to ditch it?

OK This was my soap box rant for today. :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Nov 2010 5:30 pm

You wouldn't believe the real reason. But here it is (and this has been printed in the daily birdcage liner in the past-but in a much different timbre).

They (the milquetoast males) think it's unfair that they have to do military service for 21-24 months while the girls get to go out and get all the good jobs and get more experience and money before they do. Pretty pathetic I know, but let's face it, the modern Singapore Girl has a lot more cohones the their male counterparts. Wouldn't it be nice if they could trade places? Then they would have to carry their own pregnancies for 9 months instead of having the maid carrying their army backpack to and from the camp for them. :-({|=

Frankly, there's nothing more dangerous than a female with a gun and an attitude. Better still with a Stinger missile! :o