Singapore Expats Forum

Student Pass + EPEC

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Student Pass + EPEC

Postby kooltilldend » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 2:24 am

Hi Y'all,

So I've been reading through this forum (and elsewhere such as the MOM and ICA website) as extensively as I could yet there were still a few queries that I could not figure out an answer for. Therefore, I decided I'd just ask them here instead as from what I've read before, you people (well at least some of you anyways heh) seem to be really well versed in this stuff and will thus, hopefully, be able to help me out. So anyways here's the deal:

I'm an Indian citizen, aged 23, who's been living for about the last 16 yrs in Thailand (dad works here). I did my BSc. from USA and now I will be joining NTU (Nanyang) for my MSc. next month.

However, naturally the university (and more specifically the department I'll be joining) is unable to guarantee me of any job opportunities after the completion of the 1 year degree.

As such, I have been doing all my job related research in advance by myself (which led me to this forum in fact).

Now here's where you guys hopefully come in:

You see, firstly, I saw no information about as to when I should apply for a EPEC while I'm on a student pass (or even if I can for that matter). I understand the student pass allows me to stay in Singapore for an year so naturally I shouldn't apply for EPEC atm since that'll just waste time from the EPEC even if I get it....however, can I apply for it while I'm about to finish my degree, yet still am on the student pass? Or do I have to wait till the student pass expires before I can apply for the EPEC?

I'm sure the uni will offer this info. in due course of time however, I figured it doesn't hurt to know in advance since its only a single year degree so I won't exactly have a lot of time to search for jobs and stuff.

Secondly, how hard do y'all feel the job market there is atm? I did my BSc. from a reasonably reputed university in the States and I did manage to secure a job eventually (during the 4 year degree), however, I didn't last very long since I was working in NY and the recession hit us really badly (which is why I lost my job). That was in early-mid 2009 though and I've been back in Thailand ever since. I had a short stint here as well but the job was more of a cause and effect of me wanting to stay with my family than something I would've loved to do otherwise.

Needless to say, I'm a little short on work experience (about an year - give or take a month or 2). That said, my first job in NY (understandably I suppose) was very well paid (upwards of $50k USD) so I'd imagine I'd probably rank at least on the second tier (P1) if not P2...that is, if I can even manage to find a job first.

So yeah, its not so much my current circumstances I want to discuss (which aren't exactly great to be honest)...but more a case of me wanting to know the current situation in Singapore where it seems people aren't getting anywhere near the amount of PR's and EP's that they used to get (from what I've gathered from the various threads here anyways).

So in your opinion, do I stand a chance of securing employment after/during the course or am I just running a lost cause? I understand everyone has different circumstances but even a general opinion is worthwhile in my humble opinion.

Oh and feel free to ask me anything that I may have forgotten to add...cheers again for a great forum and for (hopefully!) being a great help!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Student Pass + EPEC

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 5:31 am

[quote="kooltilldend"] guys hopefully come in:

You see, firstly, I saw no information about as to when I should apply for a EPEC while I'm on a student pass (or even if I can for that matter). I understand the student pass allows me to stay in Singapore for an year so naturally I shouldn't apply for EPEC atm since that'll just waste time from the EPEC even if I get it....however, can I apply for it while I'm about to finish my degree, yet still am on the student pass? Or do I have to wait till the student pass expires before I can apply for the EPEC?

You can apply for EPEC prior to your student pass expires. You have to return your student card once it expires. If you do not have any pass after that, you need to apply a standard bog Social Visit Visa of 30 days or else you have to pack and go.

Secondly, how hard do y'all feel the job market there is atm? I did my BSc. from a reasonably reputed university in the States and I did manage to secure a job eventually (during the 4 year degree)
So in your opinion, do I stand a chance of securing employment after/during the course or am I just running a lost cause?
You have one year to think about job in SG. You can work part time while on student pass if you MEET the criteria. Read this
http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... reignStuds

To find a job in SG now, your guess is as good as mine. Your uni degrees will be vetted. It does not matter where you get your Uni from as long as it is approved by MOM and your skillset is not available here, your chance is good. If you can get a P1 pass then you are on a different class of expat which Gahmen is desperately looking for

[quote]
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Postby kooltilldend » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 5:59 am

thanks for the response mate!

So when you say I can apply for the EPEC before my SP expires....does that mean I could apply for it now and the EPEC's starting date would automatically begin after my Student Pass expires or is it that I can simply apply beforehand (and should thus apply near the end of my student pass?)...I know you make no such suggestions of the above being the case but I figured I'd err on the side of caution and ask anyhow

Secondly, indeed its tough to guess what the job possibilities are for any specific person hence why I was hoping for a general scenario (like would you say jobs aren't very easily available there as I certainly feel is the scenario in USA)...again its just a matter of perspective really so I figured I'd get as many opinions as I can (not that it will affect my plans much as I'm def. coming there next month)

As for the P1...well to be quite frank, I have no idea what I would qualify for...I simply converted my salary in NY to SGD and based upon that figured I'd qualify for a P1 "if" I earned the same amount in Singapore (highly unlikely I suppose)...regardless, with my qualifications I'm certain I'd qualify for more than the S-Pass...I'd imagine it'll be higher than the Q1 too but I guess that depends on the MOM and ICA rather than me

cheers again for all your help!

p.s. oh and for the part-time work thing...based on that link, I probably don't require a work permit (as I will be a full-time NTU student among other things)...that said, I was told by my department that we won't have the time to work part-time at all as the course is very work-intensive...if that does turn to be the case, then no biggie but if it doesn't...then I'd def. look into the part-time work when I get there (after consulting with NTU ofcourse) since I'm on a very very strict budget for the year I'll be spending there (since my dad's sponsoring me and we are facing some severe financial constraints atm)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 8:07 am

kooltilldend wrote:thanks for the response mate!

So when you say I can apply for the EPEC before my SP expires....does that mean I could apply for it now and the EPEC's starting date would automatically begin after my Student Pass expires or is it that I can simply apply beforehand (and should thus apply near the end of my student pass?)...I know you make no such suggestions of the above being the case but I figured I'd err on the side of caution and ask anyhow
Nearing towards your Student Pass expire. EPEC starts when you go and collect it personally at MOM if you qualify that is.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular

Postby kooltilldend » Tue, 20 Jul 2010 4:55 pm

cheers for the info mate!

I'd imagine I "should" qualify for the EPEC fairly easily but then again, when it comes to such things...you never know really