Singapore Expats Forum

Place to buy new or second hand books

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Place to buy new or second hand books

Postby carlsum1986 » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 2:51 pm

I am looking for Tom Clancy's Hunt For Red October Hard Cover edition to complete my collection. Does anyone know where I can find a book store that sells it in Singapore?
I dont want to buy from MPH or Popular type of book stores.

Thanks

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:01 pm

how about books kinokuniya or borders?

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:06 pm

http://www.gohd.com.sg/site/

I know the owner personally: Deyana will do her best to find any rare or special book for you (at very reasonable price).
If she can't get it for you, nobody in Singapore can. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:48 pm

nakatago wrote:how about books kinokuniya or borders?


I try to avoid these stores as they seem to have their books at fixed prices....thanks for the suggestion anyway

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:50 pm

beppi wrote:http://www.gohd.com.sg/site/

I know the owner personally: Deyana will do her best to find any rare or special book for you (at very reasonable price).
If she can't get it for you, nobody in Singapore can. Good luck!

Regards,
Frank


Thanks
I will check it out now and get in touch with the owner...

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:16 am

anyone knows where to get ebooks online?I want to try to get a copy of the once a jolly hangman book

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:29 am

carlsum1986 wrote:anyone knows where to get ebooks online?I want to try to get a copy of the once a jolly hangman book


I saw somewhere that the MDA already banned it [citation needed] and with geo-restrictions of ebooks, it may be difficult to get a copy legally.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 22 Jul 2010 2:11 pm

nakatago wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:anyone knows where to get ebooks online?I want to try to get a copy of the once a jolly hangman book


I saw somewhere that the MDA already banned it [citation needed] and with geo-restrictions of ebooks, it may be difficult to get a copy legally.


yes it been banned...i was thinking of going to JB to read that book where i heard it is selling like hot cakes....

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 22 Jul 2010 3:15 pm

carlsum1986 wrote: selling like hot cakes....


if only to take potshots at singapore, well, yeah... :P

i guess you could buy one, bury it in a bag full of stuff. print doesn't show up in x-rays, right? maybe even go as far as covering/removing the original cover. :roll:

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 22 Jul 2010 3:41 pm

nakatago wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote: selling like hot cakes....


if only to take potshots at singapore, well, yeah... :P

i guess you could buy one, bury it in a bag full of stuff. print doesn't show up in x-rays, right? maybe even go as far as covering/removing the original cover. :roll:


never been checked at the border for books before so i guess it shud be ok....worst case scenario book a holiday at jb and read the book.... :lol:

User avatar
FelineUK
Regular
Regular
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon, 13 Nov 2006

Second hand books in Holland Village

Postby FelineUK » Sat, 24 Jul 2010 8:46 am

If you are still looking for 2nd hand books then there is a fab place in holland Village. You can even hand in / sell them your old books too. If you head for the cold storage in Holland Village and to the right is as escalator, go upstairs and along back wall is a book store jammed to the ceiling with books by type and from what I saw alot of thrillers. A great shop and one worth looking at. They rent as well as sell and the prices are ok.

E books - well i am only just venturing into that area. I have an app on my itpod touch that seems ok but so small to read by. Ipad is much better to read from however it doesnt work with flash so be careful on which place you buy e books from if you are getting one of those.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Re: Second hand books in Holland Village

Postby carlsum1986 » Sat, 24 Jul 2010 2:26 pm

FelineUK wrote:If you are still looking for 2nd hand books then there is a fab place in holland Village. You can even hand in / sell them your old books too. If you head for the cold storage in Holland Village and to the right is as escalator, go upstairs and along back wall is a book store jammed to the ceiling with books by type and from what I saw alot of thrillers. A great shop and one worth looking at. They rent as well as sell and the prices are ok.

E books - well i am only just venturing into that area. I have an app on my itpod touch that seems ok but so small to read by. Ipad is much better to read from however it doesnt work with flash so be careful on which place you buy e books from if you are getting one of those.


thanks alot...never been to holland village....this would be the best excuse I can use to venture and explore holland village :D

trumpet
Regular
Regular
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat, 02 May 2009
Location: east

Postby trumpet » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:29 am

If you are in the East ;

There's a second hand book store in Parkway (on the 4th level if I'm not wrong) there's also one at the marine parade hawker centre.

There's also one in Tampines mall.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Re: Second hand books in Holland Village

Postby carlsum1986 » Sun, 19 Sep 2010 5:34 pm

FelineUK wrote:If you are still looking for 2nd hand books then there is a fab place in holland Village. You can even hand in / sell them your old books too. If you head for the cold storage in Holland Village and to the right is as escalator, go upstairs and along back wall is a book store jammed to the ceiling with books by type and from what I saw alot of thrillers. A great shop and one worth looking at. They rent as well as sell and the prices are ok.

E books - well i am only just venturing into that area. I have an app on my itpod touch that seems ok but so small to read by. Ipad is much better to read from however it doesnt work with flash so be careful on which place you buy e books from if you are getting one of those.


this is at holland road shopping centre?what is the name of the shop...
tried looking for it but couldnt find it?

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Postby carlsum1986 » Sat, 25 Sep 2010 8:39 pm

is there any place where I can sell my second hand books in singapore?the shop in holland village are not accepting books anymore due to over stock.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests