Singapore Expats Forum

Really , those flocking for so many procedures are pitiable

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

looks don't account for anything at all

Postby JWilliamson » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aadvark wrote:does 'not pretty' = 'butt-ugly'?
I assume you are talking abt the plain ones whom carry themselves with a lot of confidence.
what abt those whom everyone will consider ugly? not many guys will even spare the time to get to know these people better...


Those kind of guys a girl doesn't need. If a guy is that shallow, there not too much to build a relationship on is there? I mean the guy is more interested in himself apparently and if he is looking for a certain "look" he is not interested in the girl except as eye candy or window dressing. e.g., what will make him look better. Rather pathetic in my opinion. But each to his own I guess. Eventually, much to their dismay, they will learn that looks don't account for anything at all.


looks don't account for anything at all? He he in the long run it sure wont but it does in the beginning. i am all for the inner beauty but looks do help! But if there is nothing more then looks for me it will never last. JW
John Williamson

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Re: looks don't account for anything at all

Postby poodlek » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:17 am

JWilliamson wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aadvark wrote:does 'not pretty' = 'butt-ugly'?
I assume you are talking abt the plain ones whom carry themselves with a lot of confidence.
what abt those whom everyone will consider ugly? not many guys will even spare the time to get to know these people better...


Those kind of guys a girl doesn't need. If a guy is that shallow, there not too much to build a relationship on is there? I mean the guy is more interested in himself apparently and if he is looking for a certain "look" he is not interested in the girl except as eye candy or window dressing. e.g., what will make him look better. Rather pathetic in my opinion. But each to his own I guess. Eventually, much to their dismay, they will learn that looks don't account for anything at all.


looks don't account for anything at all? He he in the long run it sure wont but it does in the beginning. i am all for the inner beauty but looks do help! But if there is nothing more then looks for me it will never last. JW


Looks are subjective. There's somebody out there for everybody. Despite my single-fold eyelids and pale complexion I would never get a second glance from an East Asian man, but if I walk past a group of Indian men they get positively titillated. And my darling husband loves my looks, although they're certainly not to everyone's taste. Even the real fatties that you might suspect nobody wants are somebody's preferred body type. It goes both ways too--I'm always amused to see (in North America, anyway, I don't see it as often here) some really butt-ugly white dude with a gorgeous Asian woman. There's a running joke about how the Asian women love the ugliest white men. (I'm not suggesting anything about you guys, SMS an JW :-D the rules must be different in Asia) It's in the eye of the beholder!

JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: looks don't account for anything at all

Postby JWilliamson » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:25 am

poodlek wrote:
JWilliamson wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
aadvark wrote:does 'not pretty' = 'butt-ugly'?
I assume you are talking abt the plain ones whom carry themselves with a lot of confidence.
what abt those whom everyone will consider ugly? not many guys will even spare the time to get to know these people better...


Those kind of guys a girl doesn't need. If a guy is that shallow, there not too much to build a relationship on is there? I mean the guy is more interested in himself apparently and if he is looking for a certain "look" he is not interested in the girl except as eye candy or window dressing. e.g., what will make him look better. Rather pathetic in my opinion. But each to his own I guess. Eventually, much to their dismay, they will learn that looks don't account for anything at all.


looks don't account for anything at all? He he in the long run it sure wont but it does in the beginning. i am all for the inner beauty but looks do help! But if there is nothing more then looks for me it will never last. JW


Looks are subjective. There's somebody out there for everybody. Despite my single-fold eyelids and pale complexion I would never get a second glance from an East Asian man, but if I walk past a group of Indian men they get positively titillated. And my darling husband loves my looks, although they're certainly not to everyone's taste. Even the real fatties that you might suspect nobody wants are somebody's preferred body type. It goes both ways too--I'm always amused to see (in North America, anyway, I don't see it as often here) some really butt-ugly white dude with a gorgeous Asian woman. There's a running joke about how the Asian women love the ugliest white men. (I'm not suggesting anything about you guys, SMS an JW :-D the rules must be different in Asia) It's in the eye of the beholder!


Hehe i love your writing and thoughts. m ok with all of it. Some say im good looking and many more say im butt ugly thats fine with me. I like and appreciate all flavors. Every woman has something special. That thing with one eye lid whatever i never gave a thought about eye lids if she has something over her eyes thats good enough for me. I think those white gringo men you talking about have some form of good income. Which i dont. JW
John Williamson

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Re: looks don't account for anything at all

Postby poodlek » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:35 am

JWilliamson wrote: I think those white gringo men you talking about have some form of good income. Which i dont. JW


You'd think, but the ones I have in mind are jazz musicians :???:

JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

Re: looks don't account for anything at all

Postby JWilliamson » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:54 am

poodlek wrote:
JWilliamson wrote: I think those white gringo men you talking about have some form of good income. Which i dont. JW


You'd think, but the ones I have in mind are jazz musicians :???:


I read in the past that Jazz musicians get laid the most, i do not know why. maybe they just cool like that. JW
John Williamson

astrogirl
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu, 08 Jun 2006

Postby astrogirl » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 3:53 pm

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is certainly very subjective.

We've often seen some well educated Caucasian men married to Asian women that we consider not attractive at all, little education, loud and crass (by typical Asian standards). Their husbands find them exotic, vivacious and fun loving.

Most people want plastic surgery because they feel if they look more attractive, they can feel more confident and, or they will have an advantage in life. It doesn't matter what we think, it's how they feel about themselves and perceive plastic surgery as a means of getting an advantage.
astrogirl

JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Postby JWilliamson » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 4:19 pm

astrogirl wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is certainly very subjective.

We've often seen some well educated Caucasian men married to Asian women that we consider not attractive at all, little education, loud and crass (by typical Asian standards). Their husbands find them exotic, vivacious and fun loving.

Most people want plastic surgery because they feel if they look more attractive, they can feel more confident and, or they will have an advantage in life. It doesn't matter what we think, it's how they feel about themselves and perceive plastic surgery as a means of getting an advantage.


How you feel comes from how you think. as long as someone continues thinkingin a way that makes them feel bad they will continue feeling bad. But what you are saying is that once you modify a part in your body then when you se yourself in the mirror you will think you look better then you will feel better and have more confidence with men.

I met butt ugly women who i ended up enjoying their company because of their confidence and mental wit that i stop seeing their physical faults.
John Williamson

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 5:04 pm

astrogirl wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is certainly very subjective.

We've often seen some well educated Caucasian men married to Asian women that we consider not attractive at all, little education, loud and crass (by typical Asian standards). Their husbands find them exotic, vivacious and fun loving.

Most people want plastic surgery because they feel if they look more attractive, they can feel more confident and, or they will have an advantage in life. It doesn't matter what we think, it's how they feel about themselves and perceive plastic surgery as a means of getting an advantage.


Very astute post. Unfortunately, come full circle now. Why, or should I say, Who sets the standards for looks? The media? TV primarily? Why? I ask because most of the media content is controlled by men. Also the fashion world, with some exceptions, also controlled by men. But one poster claims men have nothing to do with it. If that were the case, then women wouldn't think that their looks were inferior and wouldn't need the PS in the first place. Their idea of beauty is generally a direct result of what they think men or other women want and is purely a product of advertising. That is why history goes through phases, Reubenesque Women used to be the ideal, then stick thin boob-less anorexics, and now Asian women have been sucked into the nose & eyelid & maximizer thing. They are now becoming a parody of the beautiful Asian woman.

The best part of all this is going to be in the future when heavily PS'd John Lee meets and marries completely revamped Dorothy Doh and decide to have a family. Just think, the kids may actually grow up with an inferiority complex, thinking they are either a birth defect or adopted because they won't look "perfect" like their parents. :-k

JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

Who sets the standards for looks?

Postby JWilliamson » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 5:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
astrogirl wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is certainly very subjective.

We've often seen some well educated Caucasian men married to Asian women that we consider not attractive at all, little education, loud and crass (by typical Asian standards). Their husbands find them exotic, vivacious and fun loving.

Most people want plastic surgery because they feel if they look more attractive, they can feel more confident and, or they will have an advantage in life. It doesn't matter what we think, it's how they feel about themselves and perceive plastic surgery as a means of getting an advantage.


Very astute post. Unfortunately, come full circle now. Why, or should I say, Who sets the standards for looks? The media? TV primarily? Why? I ask because most of the media content is controlled by men. Also the fashion world, with some exceptions, also controlled by men. But one poster claims men have nothing to do with it. If that were the case, then women wouldn't think that their looks were inferior and wouldn't need the PS in the first place. Their idea of beauty is generally a direct result of what they think men or other women want and is purely a product of advertising. That is why history goes through phases, Reubenesque Women used to be the ideal, then stick thin boob-less anorexics, and now Asian women have been sucked into the nose & eyelid & maximizer thing. They are now becoming a parody of the beautiful Asian woman.

The best part of all this is going to be in the future when heavily PS'd John Lee meets and marries completely revamped Dorothy Doh and decide to have a family. Just think, the kids may actually grow up with an inferiority complex, thinking they are either a birth defect or adopted because they won't look "perfect" like their parents. :-k


Yeah men but maybe many are GAY men. Nothing wrong for them being gay but they look at it in a different way than a horny, hungry striaght (non-gay) man. JW
John Williamson

astrogirl
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu, 08 Jun 2006

Postby astrogirl » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 1:02 am

I did not mean that they felt inferior about their looks, I meant perhaps they see that they would like to have an option, an advantage by looking more attractive, to be noticed at a first meeting. It is in their mind and few would be able to convince them otherwise.

For Caucasian, some have a nose job, to fix a crooked nose or make it smaller. In Asia, nasal implants serve to make the nose higher profile to make the face look less flat, double eye lid surgery enlarges the eyes to look more expressive

If one had bad skin, terrible acne and they sought help through skin care, laser treatments etc, is this altering their body parts, is not the skin a body part/organ?

If one had bad teeth, wearing braces; doing dental work like crowns or implants, is this altering their body parts?

Where do we draw the line on altering our body parts? It's not just about bagging a man. It could be for a job interview selling cosmetics, job as a guest relations officer showing VIP guests the hotel's conference facilities. Is it selfish to want to look better and get ahead, or is it selfish to want to look unattractive and blame the whole world for missing out on getting ahead. We can discuss till the cows come home and it is still about boundaries, of what we would do to achieve our objectives, and we are all different people with different agendas.

In this competitive world, most people would seek whatever means they could to have a competitive edge or advantage to achieve their objectives. Be it plastic surgery, another degree, join a social network, a club, attend seminars, read self help books.....the list goes on. Some people would zero in on plastic surgery and say it's shallow. Most people are shallow and don't really have the time or want to make the time to discover 'inner beauty' of the other person.

John and Dorothy may decide to bring they children for plastic surgery. Korea is the plastic surgery capital of the East and Brazil is the plastic surgery capital of the West, simply because with high volume of cases and practice, hence innovation. It is not uncommon for parents in these places to gift their children plastic surgery on their sweet sixteen birthday. It is not our place to judge what is right or moral values that should be.
astrogirl

User avatar
aadvark
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1589
Joined: Tue, 10 Apr 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby aadvark » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 3:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
astrogirl wrote:Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is certainly very subjective.

We've often seen some well educated Caucasian men married to Asian women that we consider not attractive at all, little education, loud and crass (by typical Asian standards). Their husbands find them exotic, vivacious and fun loving.

Most people want plastic surgery because they feel if they look more attractive, they can feel more confident and, or they will have an advantage in life. It doesn't matter what we think, it's how they feel about themselves and perceive plastic surgery as a means of getting an advantage.


Very astute post. Unfortunately, come full circle now. Why, or should I say, Who sets the standards for looks? The media? TV primarily? Why? I ask because most of the media content is controlled by men. Also the fashion world, with some exceptions, also controlled by men. But one poster claims men have nothing to do with it. If that were the case, then women wouldn't think that their looks were inferior and wouldn't need the PS in the first place. Their idea of beauty is generally a direct result of what they think men or other women want and is purely a product of advertising. That is why history goes through phases, Reubenesque Women used to be the ideal, then stick thin boob-less anorexics, and now Asian women have been sucked into the nose & eyelid & maximizer thing. They are now becoming a parody of the beautiful Asian woman.

The best part of all this is going to be in the future when heavily PS'd John Lee meets and marries completely revamped Dorothy Doh and decide to have a family. Just think, the kids may actually grow up with an inferiority complex, thinking they are either a birth defect or adopted because they won't look "perfect" like their parents. :-k


i read this same article in Times b4 abt the state of surgery in Korea, many beautiful parents with plain-looking kids
Next: Forehead augmentation, botox, RF

JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

crowns or implants

Postby JWilliamson » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 9:50 am

astrogirl wrote:I did not mean that they felt inferior about their looks, I meant perhaps they see that they would like to have an option, an advantage by looking more attractive, to be noticed at a first meeting. It is in their mind and few would be able to convince them otherwise.

For Caucasian, some have a nose job, to fix a crooked nose or make it smaller. In Asia, nasal implants serve to make the nose higher profile to make the face look less flat, double eye lid surgery enlarges the eyes to look more expressive

If one had bad skin, terrible acne and they sought help through skin care, laser treatments etc, is this altering their body parts, is not the skin a body part/organ?

If one had bad teeth, wearing braces; doing dental work like crowns or implants, is this altering their body parts?

Where do we draw the line on altering our body parts? It's not just about bagging a man. It could be for a job interview selling cosmetics, job as a guest relations officer showing VIP guests the hotel's conference facilities. Is it selfish to want to look better and get ahead, or is it selfish to want to look unattractive and blame the whole world for missing out on getting ahead. We can discuss till the cows come home and it is still about boundaries, of what we would do to achieve our objectives, and we are all different people with different agendas.

In this competitive world, most people would seek whatever means they could to have a competitive edge or advantage to achieve their objectives. Be it plastic surgery, another degree, join a social network, a club, attend seminars, read self help books.....the list goes on. Some people would zero in on plastic surgery and say it's shallow. Most people are shallow and don't really have the time or want to make the time to discover 'inner beauty' of the other person.

John and Dorothy may decide to bring they children for plastic surgery. Korea is the plastic surgery capital of the East and Brazil is the plastic surgery capital of the West, simply because with high volume of cases and practice, hence innovation. It is not uncommon for parents in these places to gift their children plastic surgery on their sweet sixteen birthday. It is not our place to judge what is right or moral values that should be.


First of crowns or implants are not for decorating its about repairing a dying tooth. Without them i would have been in tremendous pain and infections. About plastis surgery well to each its own but i hope they really think it through and find out where their desires are coming from and then choose. JW
John Williamson

astrogirl
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu, 08 Jun 2006

Postby astrogirl » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:35 pm

Decaying teeth can be removed. With less teeth and gum problems, there might be problems eating certain food, unless it's cancer, it's not a life and death situation.

One just does not look that attractive with missing teeth when they smile/talking to others. Their confidence might take a dive. Dental crowns and implants are some form of decoration though it is not the primary objective but also serves to help tear and chew food.

Having little confidence is a form of psychological pain for some.
astrogirl

JWilliamson
Regular
Regular
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri, 04 Jun 2010
Location: Singapore

Dental crowns and implants are some form of decoration

Postby JWilliamson » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:44 pm

astrogirl wrote:Decaying teeth can be removed. With less teeth and gum problems, there might be problems eating certain food, unless it's cancer, it's not a life and death situation.

One just does not look that attractive with missing teeth when they smile/talking to others. Their confidence might take a dive. Dental crowns and implants are some form of decoration though it is not the primary objective but also serves to help tear and chew food.

Having little confidence is a form of psychological pain for some.


What? Dental crowns and implants are some form of decoration? Why remove a tooth if i can have it saved? If i let one tooth rot and then remove it the the tooth below it will also will come out. as long as the top tooth is missing the bottom tooth has not pressure and will eventually keep growing and come out. How do i eat and chew food with no teeth? I have a history of tooth decay, i brush 3 times a day and floss but i keep getting cavities and i have 6 ugly looking crowns which are no decorations. My mother and her father (my grand father) both have the same thing going on in their mouths. Dental crowns and implants are medical. Maybe you are talking about porcelen implants to have whiter teeth that many actors do well thats another story and that is not crowns, root canals and cavity fillings. JW
John Williamson

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 1:34 pm

Actually, they are called veneers and are purely cosmetic in nature, and are not related to normal dental work for the saving of teeth and prevention of gum disease.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Aesthetic Enhancement & Cosmetic Surgery”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests