Singapore Expats Forum

Homosexuality in Singapore: what is permitted and not?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
he4dband

Postby he4dband » Sun, 15 Aug 2010 1:28 pm

The law here prohibits homosexuality, but they don't act on it. This is Singapore's way to stay neutral, by keeping the law to satisfy the conservatives and religious, but not acting on it to keep the image of a "modern" nation. I personally find this ridiculous but oh well...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 7:02 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

carteki
Editor
Editor

Postby carteki » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 9:36 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Homosexuality of personal choice is NOT ILLEGAL in SIngapore. There are two MPs that are of this nature
Although the section 377 and 377A was amended
http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_163 ... 01-31.html

This info from wikipedia states what leeky said otherwise
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_37 ... ngapore%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history_in_Singapore

On 11 December 1998, Senior Minister Lee Kuan Yew responded to a gay man's question about the place of homosexuals in Singapore, live on CNN International by saying, '...what we are doing as a government is to leave people to live their own lives so long as they don't impinge on other people. I mean, we don't harass anybody.' Given Lee's stature as the venerated albeit authoritarian founding father of independent Singapore, these words helped set the tenor for official policy on homosexuality for many years to come. His comments may be regarded as the one of the most significant events, as far as gay rights are concerned, of the decade.

So what was all the hoo-haa in the press in early 2008 when the govt decided to repeal a law regarding homosexuality about? (Which failed too)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 16 Aug 2010 9:54 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jdaniel
Regular
Regular

Postby jdaniel » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 3:56 am

AND they need to bring the "gahmen" bs into the expat boards is there no escape from mangled language.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 4:21 am

jdaniel wrote:AND they need to bring the "gahmen" bs into the expat boards is there no escape from mangled language.

.... and your point is? Did you have one?

Man...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 9:18 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdaniel
Regular
Regular

Postby jdaniel » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 5:51 pm

You dont need to be white to be able to speak English :) And no I am not local. Singlish is not a language :) I.e Taiwanese can be as good at mangling Mandarin, by the way they speak it sometimes, see Chen Sui Bian.

My point is keep the rubbish to the local forums so as not to pollute this board the one refuge we have from that nonsense.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 6:01 pm

jdaniel wrote:You dont need to be white to be able to speak English :) And no I am not local. Singlish is not a language :) I.e Taiwanese can be as good at mangling Mandarin, by the way they speak it sometimes, see Chen Sui Bian.

My point is keep the rubbish to the local forums so as not to pollute this board the one refuge we have from that nonsense.

Funny, I wouldn't have considered the word 'gahmen' as being uniquely Singaporean, I'm pretty sur that I have seen it on English language boards based in Europe. If I use the expression I'm usually write it as 'gubment'.

For me, the mispelling simply conveys the disdain with which I regard them.

jdaniel
Regular
Regular

Postby jdaniel » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 6:11 pm

If I were to cut it short as I always do it would be gov, guvment etc stuff like that but, you know what to each his own. I couldn't be arsed :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Sep 2010 7:54 pm

jdaniel wrote: I couldn't be arsed :)

With your preferences? :lol:

Actually, just the opposite. You're trying to sound like a racist alpha gay and I'll bet you're probably not a bottom. :wink:

We welcome locals on this board, provided they can interact linguistically. However, that isn't always the case as the Plastic Surgery & Airlines threads are filled with locals with all their speech impediments intact. But if they descend into lower forums on the index page, then you might say the expats hold sway. Oh, even as a yank, I've been using 'gahmen' and alternatively 'the g-men' since my days as a tax accounting in Washington DC 30 years ago. You need to get out more.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 2:23 am

deleted
Last edited by Mad Scientist on Wed, 20 Oct 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdaniel
Regular
Regular

Postby jdaniel » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 2:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
jdaniel wrote: I couldn't be arsed :)

With your preferences? :lol:

Actually, just the opposite. You're trying to sound like a racist alpha gay and I'll bet you're probably not a bottom. :wink:

We welcome locals on this board, provided they can interact linguistically. However, that isn't always the case as the Plastic Surgery & Airlines threads are filled with locals with all their speech impediments intact. But if they descend into lower forums on the index page, then you might say the expats hold sway. Oh, even as a yank, I've been using 'gahmen' and alternatively 'the g-men' since my days as a tax accounting in Washington DC 30 years ago. You need to get out more.

gay gay gay where does the gay come into this? I dislike reading singlish/chinglish, and no I dont try and sound like anything, I am just honest and upfront. Quite like yourself, pretty upfront with your homophobia and snide gay remarks, which really I couldn't care less about, but I would love to see you say it to my face :)

Oh and it is people like you, the ones who make snide remarks, or who are overtly homophobic who always end up caught in public washrooms i.e Larry Craig so make all the snide remarks you want insecure lil man. Maybe some therapy would help you overcome your sexual issues and maybe solve that problem where you find it necessary to comment negatively either directly or with sarcasm about homosexuality.

I dislike interacting with people who speak singlish/chinglish, how is that racist? I should make it my life's work to screw your son or something.

Oh wait on 2nd thoughts the apple seldom falls far from the tree...so EWWWWWWWWWW NO !

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 7:22 am

Oh lordy... tick-tick...

Only a flaming poofta would display such hypersensitivity and lack of humour 8-)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 8:31 am

All one has to do is go to his profile page and read his posts from the last time he was flouncing around here around 9 or 10 months ago to see the truth of your statement, JR8.

I have nothing at all against gays. I have everything against pretentious people regardless of their personal proclivities.