Singapore Expats Forum

Applying Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 4:37 pm

azp123 wrote:Thanks Saint. SMS, actually yes, once in 2005 - which i politely declined due to family reasons. Things have materially changed at hometown. I had successfully renewed my REP in 2006 for 10 years.

Why do i want to apply for citizenship? - to answer that - i started to feel this as home more now and active in the local community events. All my initial apprehentions have disappeared.

Can you please tell me about the community events. I am also interested in participating. Thanks

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:03 pm

Walk-in into your closest Community Club will be the best starting point. You will have a look to the activities they organize, they plan, ... Looking online can give you some idea, but in this case, the personal visit is worthy.

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:43 pm

Asdracles wrote:Walk-in into your closest Community Club will be the best starting point. You will have a look to the activities they organize, they plan, ... Looking online can give you some idea, but in this case, the personal visit is worthy.

If I am not wrong Community Club accepts only PRs and Citizens as volunteers? I tried asking them 2-3 times before

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asdracles » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 5:47 pm

You said participate.....

If you are looking for volunteer options, check http://www.nvpc.org.sg

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:15 pm

thanks a lot guys for all your advice.

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Zeenit » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 7:03 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Asdracles wrote:Walk-in into your closest Community Club will be the best starting point. You will have a look to the activities they organize, they plan, ... Looking online can give you some idea, but in this case, the personal visit is worthy.

If I am not wrong Community Club accepts only PRs and Citizens as volunteers? I tried asking them 2-3 times before

I am a DP and 2 weeks after we arrived I started to do Vol work at a Community Centre for 18 months. :D
So saying you can only do Vol work if you a PR or Citizen is incorrect.
Zeenit

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:54 pm

Zeenit wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

I am a DP and 2 weeks after we arrived I started to do Vol work at a Community Centre for 18 months. :D
So saying you can only do Vol work if you a PR or Citizen is incorrect.

As per their policy only PR and Citizens are allowed to join as volunteers. Only in certain CC's they accept foreigners as volunteers. You can try checking this with a different CC rather than yours.

There are many other homes or associations where anyone can volunteer even being a foreigner.