Singapore Expats Forum

Applying Singapore Citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
HopeFulfill

Applying Singapore Citizenship

Postby HopeFulfill » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 4:07 pm

I am seriously thinking of applying for SG citizenship. Have been here since early 2006. I gained residential status in late 2007. It is going to be 3 years pretty soon holding my PR status. I am Burmese, single, age 39, have a decent job with an income of S$ 3200.

If I apply now, what is the chance for me getting citizenship based on your experience? Greateful if you could shed some lights on this.

Thank you in advance.
HopeFulfill

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 9:23 pm

39 & Single? Are you Male or Female? Although at 39 I doubt it makes much difference. I'd give you less that 50% chance of being successful. What would the government stand to gain if you are given citizenship? Do you own a business here that is employing Singaporeans? At 39 already and single to boot, what are the chances of you marrying & having children? Male, yeah, maybe. Female? Doubtful. Therefore it would look like you wouldn't even be able to fuel their military machine or create additional bun ovens.

But, that's looking at thing from purely my POV. The government may look at it differently so give it a try. What's the worst that can happen? They say no. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. And, finding out early will give you food for though about your future. (Oh, by the way, there are lots of long term PR's here - I'm one as well). Good luck.

sms

HopeFulfill

Postby HopeFulfill » Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:40 am

I'm a female. I am just a company's employee. Less than 50% chance? Hmm...!! If I were married and kids, might it change my situation? :D Fyi, I am a dregree holder (fr Malaysia's private Uni, have 4 yrs working exp in Malaysia and almost 5 yrs in Sing) I'm aware that it's just your POV but invaluable since you have been here long enouogh to underderstand Singapore's trend.

SMS - where are you orignally from?

Thanks anyway. I appreicate it.
HopeFulfill

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 18 Jul 2010 4:26 pm

Having a Malaysian degree is only one step up from having a degree from your own country (I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about). Your ability to produce offspring (especially male offspring) would be about the only thing you could offer to Singapore that you could not do as a PR. As a wage earner, you are no different than every other PR out there. So, with the current view towards PR's and new citizens and other foreigners, I see the card stacked against you. Primarily I see your age as being the biggest problem. You primary productive years are just about behind you. For health reasons the first pregnancy should take place before 38 as the risks for downs syndrome children increases for 1st pregnancies. After that, at higher and higher risk levels as each year goes by. Therefore, without children now, the government might see a bigger chance of producing a ward of the state rather than a future asset to the military or future production of more children.

As I said in my first post, try it anyway. The worst they can do is say no. If you are prepared for a "No" and you get a yes, you'll be even happier! ;-)

Oh, I'm a Yank who's been here 28+ year and still counting......

sms

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 4:43 am

If you are already a PR, look for business venture with a Sger while you are working. Start something up, it will look good on your CV when applying for SG Citizenship.Be a volunteer or PAP activist to boost up your CV
IMHO, to bear a child in a stressful environment in SG is not ideal. It will only push its low fertility rate lower. Even the Malay race which has a birth rate of 2.1 has now fallen to 2.07 on last year census.This is PAP world and you have to abide by it as I recall one phrase before
PAP says "Pay and Pay" but WP says "Why Pay" hence SDP said "So Don't Pay" but at the end SJP said "So Just Pay"
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Biogentic

Postby Biogentic » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 5:03 am

if it is possible, i dun mind exchanging my spore citizenship with your burmese citizenship. i would treat you to a big meal for saving me the hassle for going annual ICT and IPPT. well.. if the ICA allows and can approve me PR status, do let me know..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 23 Jul 2010 6:38 am

Biogentic wrote:if it is possible, i dun mind exchanging my Singapore citizenship with your burmese citizenship. i would treat you to a big meal for saving me the hassle for going annual ICT and IPPT. well.. if the ICA allows and can approve me PR status, do let me know..

I think You REALLY NEED to have your head examine. Your recent posts are nut cracker to say the least. Trolling are we ??

Wait for this reply tic .... toc.... tic.... toc......
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

HopeFulfill

Postby HopeFulfill » Sat, 24 Jul 2010 1:42 pm

Biogentic wrote:if it is possible, i dun mind exchanging my Singapore citizenship with your burmese citizenship. i would treat you to a big meal for saving me the hassle for going annual ICT and IPPT. well.. if the ICA allows and can approve me PR status, do let me know..

I know you are joking. So..sorry folk. There is NO way that you can get the Burmese citizenship. Even if you marry a Burmese (just a scenario), you will forever be a Singaporean.
HopeFulfill

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 1:19 pm

Hi new here,
Been here since 1997. Came here as a bachelor to work for a bank. Got married in 2000, became PR with my wife in 2001. Three kids were born here in the last 9 years and all are SPR (all are girls). Been with the same bank and earn a decent income. If i apply for a citizenship, what are my chances?

azp123

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 1:41 pm

First question I would ask is why in the world would you want it?

Flip a coin? Odds are in your favour but who knows?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 1:42 pm

azp123 wrote:Hi new here,
Been here since 1997. Came here as a bachelor to work for a bank. Got married in 2000, became PR with my wife in 2001. Three kids were born here in the last 9 years and all are SPR (all are girls). Been with the same bank and earn a decent income. If i apply for a citizenship, what are my chances?

azp123

I'd have a tenner on you being successfull!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 1:45 pm

Have you ever received a letter inviting you to apply for Citizenship? :-k

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks Saint. SMS, actually yes, once in 2005 - which i politely declined due to family reasons. Things have materially changed at hometown. I had successfully renewed my REP in 2006 for 10 years.

Why do i want to apply for citizenship? - to answer that - i started to feel this as home more now and active in the local community events. All my initial apprehentions have disappeared.

azp123
Regular
Regular

Postby azp123 » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 2:56 pm

one more important question which i left out - to apply citizenship "now" . Is the time right or should i wait when the sentiments are ok with the general population.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 26 Aug 2010 3:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Have you ever received a letter inviting you to apply for Citizenship? :-k

You can be offered to apply by ICA if you meet their criteria. This will fast track your application .Hence it is a pre acceptance application per se

Or you can apply if you think you fit the bill

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=132