Singapore Expats Forum

Aussie Elections

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Aussie Elections

Postby Splatted » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 9:55 am

Is it too late to take my name off the electoral roll?

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

New registrations until 6pm SGT

Postby The Ref » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 5:44 pm

You have until 8pm AEST (6pm SGT) to register so I *guess* the same to withdraw.

A question - why do you want to withdraw? I mainly want to know if it is for tax reasons to not be treated as a resident for tax reasons.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Sat, 17 Jul 2010 5:59 pm

a) I'm not longer a resident of Australia
b) in order for me to vote here in Singapore, I have to waste part of my annual leave

sparkling
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon, 26 Jul 2010

Postby sparkling » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:26 am

You can vote at the Australian High Commission in Singapore.
August 21 is on a Saturday.
If you have a five-day work week, there is no need to take annual leave.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Mon, 26 Jul 2010 8:03 pm

I was listening online to an aussie radio station the other day, and they mentioned that people had up till 8pm that evening to update their addresses if they had recently moved.

I presume this also means we have a chance to update our voter eligebility as well, so I printed the form and emailed it off on time

So I think I'm no longer on the electoral roll... but will confirm in the next few days to make sure....

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 4:06 am

Splatted

DId you watch the debate between Julian and Tony. What a bloody joke to say the least. When Julian flick Kevin out, I thought what the hell ? I say to myself, maybe to Tony has a chance but now I am not so sure.Both candidates need alot of work to convince OZ voters.
BTW some companies in SG allows their foreign workers to go for vote without needing to take leave
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
amiee40
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon, 20 Oct 2008

Postby amiee40 » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 8:45 am

Did you lodge an 'Overseas Notification Form' with the AEC when you left Australia? If you have, then you don't need to vote but you may vote if you want to.
I think you can still try and submit one now and get your name off the electoral roll.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 5:18 pm

amiee40 wrote:Did you lodge an 'Overseas Notification Form' with the AEC when you left Australia? If you have, then you don't need to vote but you may vote if you want to.
I think you can still try and submit one now and get your name off the electoral roll.


I lodged this form via email last week, on the last day everyone could update their address before the election.

I'll be calling them in the next few days to make sure I don't need to vote.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Postby Splatted » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 5:20 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Splatted

DId you watch the debate between Julian and Tony. What a bloody joke to say the least. When Julian flick Kevin out, I thought what the hell ? I say to myself, maybe to Tony has a chance but now I am not so sure.Both candidates need alot of work to convince OZ voters.
BTW some companies in SG allows their foreign workers to go for vote without needing to take leave


Totally missed it. Lots of things happening behind the scenes at the moment here in Sg... will need to sit an exam soon, so a bit out of touch with full stories of what's happening back in Oz.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 27 Jul 2010 6:23 pm

Splatted wrote:Totally missed it. Lots of things happening behind the scenes at the moment here in Sg... will need to sit an exam soon, so a bit out of touch with full stories of what's happening back in Oz.


Oh well, nothing will change , we installed a puppet and now we have a mannequin, not sure what's next?
Good Luck on your exam !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests