Singapore Expats

Need Cleaning tips - Marble Floors....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
jaema

Need Cleaning tips - Marble Floors....

Post by jaema » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:45 pm

The new apartment we are moving into has marble floors (unfortunately) and I don't know how to clean/disinfect them without causing damage. :oops: :oops:

I generally clean around the house with just white vinegar and don't really use any chemical products, but a quick internet search shows we shouldn't use any vinegar on marble due to the acidity.

Is there any non-chemical way to clean marble floors? I have a baby at home so don't want to use chemical cleaners around the house if I can avoid it.

Sorry for the dumb/weird question....and thanks for any suggestions y'all may have. :)

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:07 pm

no idea.

but I can tell you definitely what NOT to do.

don't ever drop a can of beetroot on a marble surface. - the stain just doesn't come off as marble is porous

jaema

Post by jaema » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:14 pm

i hear ya....i really don't like the fancy floors, just too difficult to maintain. give me some nice simple wooden floors any day. :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 2:15 am

Just mop with detol!

x9200

Re: Need Cleaning tips - Marble Floors....

Post by x9200 » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 6:15 am

jaema wrote:The new apartment we are moving into has marble floors (unfortunately) and I don't know how to clean/disinfect them without causing damage. :oops: :oops:

I generally clean around the house with just white vinegar and don't really use any chemical products, but a quick internet search shows we shouldn't use any vinegar on marble due to the acidity.

Is there any non-chemical way to clean marble floors? I have a baby at home so don't want to use chemical cleaners around the house if I can avoid it.

Sorry for the dumb/weird question....and thanks for any suggestions y'all may have. :)
Firstly, cleaning marbles with vinegar will destroy it as acetic acid simply reacts with the marble material. Any other popular acid will do the same including these in oranges and other fruits. More over, clean water if left on marble floor for longer time may also stain it as it absorbs carbon dioxide from air turning water to slightly acidic. Wine will start destroying marble within few seconds. This is really painful material and I am very happy that in our current place at least we do not have it in the bathroom.
There are special products you may buy in Cold Storage or other similar places around and there is clearly said on the label that they can be used with the marble floor. We use Mr Muscle's Terra Care. Maintenance is not much expensive or tidious comparing to other stuff it is simply you have to be aware how sensitive is this bloody thing.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 1:33 pm

I have a toddler and use Detol Multi Action Cleaner. Given that my boy's hands are all over the floor then in his mouth I'm more concerned about germs, and this is also safe on the marble floors.

Don't spill red wine on the marble either, that leaves a stain before you can even get to the kitchen for a cloth, as I have found out.

The other alternative is one of the organic shops, either Four Seasons or Brown Rice do cleaning products which I guess are more natural but you'd need to check if suitable for marble - probably nice and pricey too! :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 2:12 pm

For extreme griminess use a mild mixture of ammonia, when mixed it should be weak enough you cannot smell the ammonia!

http://www.marblefloorpolishing.com/mai ... arble.html

jaema

Post by jaema » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 2:37 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions!! Will try to track down some pH-neutral dishwashing detergent, I have read that might work well if diluted well in water.

Have to do a general cleaning this weekend since we move in next week. :)

Thanks again for all the tips, they were all very helpful!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Re: Environmental Fluids

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 May 2018 8:24 pm

RobertMarsh wrote:We always try to save money as much as we can so these tips which you have given are really helpful for cleaning. thanks for sharing these collection for cleaning stuffs…
Well, Mr. "RobertMarsh" from Delhi, India, you have found these "cleaning stuffs" in an eight year old post "really helpful", have ye?