Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Indian

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
skpsiva

Singapore Indian

Postby skpsiva » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:03 pm

If any one interested shall join the group
Last edited by skpsiva on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 15 Jul 2010 10:38 pm

Wah Lau! So many typing error on the facebook page. Doesn't say much good about the organization does it.

Instead of IST, here you have SRT which is essentially the same thing. (Singapore Rubber Time). That's why Wedding Dinners are scheduled to start at 7 pm. So everybody is hopefully there by 8 pm. That's also why Singaporeans always seem to be eating for the first hour at work cause they get up 15 minutes before having to catch the train/bus.

februus
Regular
Regular

Postby februus » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 7:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Instead of IST, here you have SRT which is essentially the same thing. (Singapore Rubber Time). That's why Wedding Dinners are scheduled to start at 7 pm. So everybody is hopefully there by 8 pm. That's also why Singaporeans always seem to be eating for the first hour at work cause they get up 15 minutes before having to catch the train/bus.

I had a chap that works for me arrive late into the workplace the other day, when I asked why he was late he patiently explained to me that the company transport had only arrived 30 minutes ago and he needed to eat his breakfast, which took him an hour.

He surveyed me with disbelief when I wondered aloud whether he could have managed his breakfast in 30 minutes on this one day (like everyone else managed to). He looked at me rather sadly shook his head and shuffled off, clearly resigning me to the catagory of - "will never understand"

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 2:37 pm

februus wrote:
He surveyed me with disbelief when I wondered aloud whether he could have managed his breakfast in 30 minutes on this one day (like everyone else managed to). He looked at me rather sadly shook his head and shuffled off, clearly resigning me to the catagory of - "will never understand"

This is the classic East meets West stand off.

Westerners look at the long working hours in the East and wonder why everyone does it. Easterners look at the West and wonder how anyone can put work before food.

I used to manage large Filipino crews, and even when a project reached critical stage tools would still go down when it was meal time, whereas the round-eyes would carry on and enjoy complaining about not eating instead. An army marches on it's stomach you know! Rice Power!