Singapore Expats

Expired Singapore Exit Permit

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
scwc

Expired Singapore Exit Permit

Post by scwc » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 5:09 am

Hello,
I am a Singapore citizen and have completed my national service. I left Singapore in 1991 and my exit permit expired in 1996. I have since become a citizen of the US and am thinking of visiting Singapore. I have contacted the CMPB regarding the issue and their instructions were to inform them of my return date so that immigration can take me into custody when I return to Singapore. I would like to renounce my Singapore citizenship and would like to know if there was anyway I can resolve this matter before returning to Singapore. I have also tried to ask CMPB if this matter can be resolved outside of Singapore and have not gottne a response. Thnx.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Expired Singapore Exit Permit

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 6:44 pm

scwc wrote:Hello,
I am a Singapore citizen and have completed my national service. I left Singapore in 1991 and my exit permit expired in 1996. I have since become a citizen of the US and am thinking of visiting Singapore. I have contacted the CMPB regarding the issue and their instructions were to inform them of my return date so that immigration can take me into custody when I return to Singapore. I would like to renounce my Singapore citizenship and would like to know if there was anyway I can resolve this matter before returning to Singapore. I have also tried to ask CMPB if this matter can be resolved outside of Singapore and have not gottne a response. Thnx.
You have to serve at least three years of your NS Reservist cycle in order for you to be allowed to renounce.
You can only resolve this by returning to SG and face the music. As you are about 40 yrs old now, wait till you are 40 then return. Pay the fine, most likely, and get the release letter from Mindef that you are no longer require to serve the NS Reservist then you can renounce.
You may go to jail, 3 yrs , if Mindef wants to show example to others. It all depends on the prosecutor asking for deterrent punishment
Another way do not come back at all. Not even in transit.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!