Singapore Expats Forum

PR approved, should I reject??

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kc0793

PR approved, should I reject??

Postby kc0793 » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 8:29 pm

Hi there,

I applied for PR in March, got approval letter on June 9th.

Unfortunately, my circumstances have changed, and I am thinking of not taking up my PR.

Reasons:
1) I have decided to go for higher studies abroad and might/might not be back here in the future.
2) I already have PEP, which is a one-time pass, and might as well use it for the remainder of my Singapore stay before I leave for studies.
3) I am too lazy to get all the medical checkups, forms filled for the final PR approval :)

My question is this:
If I do not take up the PR status now, and come back to Singapore in a few years time (quite possible), and then reapply for PR, will my earlier rejection be a factor in their decision making process?

Thanks for all your help

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:26 pm

Probably not. You didn't take it up to abuse, so there is no reason for them to hold it against you.

However, ICA changes their protocol from time to time as it sees fit. So, it's always a possibility that they won't approve it later if the goalposts have changed. That's a gamble you will have to take.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: PR approved, should I reject??

Postby Saint » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 8:47 am

kc0793 wrote:
My question is this:
If I do not take up the PR status now, and come back to Singapore in a few years time (quite possible), and then reapply for PR, will my earlier rejection be a factor in their decision making process?

Thanks for all your help

I hope so and it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

You do realise that your PR approval was part of a quota for that period so probably means a more deserving and thankful applicant didn't get approved

kc0793

Postby kc0793 » Wed, 07 Jul 2010 7:32 pm

Saint wrote:I hope so and it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

You do realise that your PR approval was part of a quota for that period so probably means a more deserving and thankful applicant didn't get approved

Saint, thanks for your forthright response. I say this again - I decided to go for higher studies after I applied for PR, so its not like I had preplanned this. And, if I decide not to take up PR, I'll let ICA know in a week, and they would give my place to someone else. I don't see what the issue is frankly.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 9:20 am

kc0793 wrote:
Saint wrote:I hope so and it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

Saint, thanks for your forthright response. I say this again - I decided to go for higher studies after I applied for PR, so its not like I had preplanned this. And, if I decide not to take up PR, I'll let ICA know in a week, and they would give my place to someone else. I don't see what the issue is frankly.

The issue you had and wanted advise on was whether not taking up PR this will affect a future PR application? From my experience and advise from the ICA a couple of years ago, I would definitely say yes. When my PR was approved it was virtually impossible for me to complete the PR formalities within the 2 months as stated. I ask if I could defer/extend the period until I was in a position to complete. They said no as PR approvals were one off offers so take it or leave it. Finally they realised my situation was a little different from the norm so they extended the 2 months to 4 months.

I did complete the PR process after 10 weeks but I started to get a grilling from the ICA officer for nearly wasting my opportunity to ever coming PR by leaving it so long to complete. It was only after showing the officer all the correspondence with the ICA and the approved extended deadline that the officer chilled a bit.

So it's up to you to take the chance

kc0793

Postby kc0793 » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 5:10 pm

I talked to ICA today. They confirmed that if I reject PR status now, and reapply later, they will treat it as a new application, and that my rejection now will have no bearing on the decision they make, since I have a valid reason for not taking up PR now, and because I am not abusing the system. I will still call them up again tomorrow and double-check this with another service agent, just to be sure.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 5:33 pm

kc0793 wrote:I talked to ICA today. They confirmed that if I reject PR status now, and reapply later, they will treat it as a new application, and that my rejection now will have no bearing on the decision they make, since I have a valid reason for not taking up PR now, and because I am not abusing the system. I will still call them up again tomorrow and double-check this with another service agent, just to be sure.

Just my 2 cents

Note that Your new application later will have a record to show that you turned down an earlier PR approval.

If the requirements are strict like today when you apply the next time, surely they would think twice before approving your application. Reason : What if you turn down the new approval with another valid reason by then?

kc0793

Postby kc0793 » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 5:51 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:Just my 2 cents

Note that Your new application later will have a record to show that you turned down an earlier PR approval.

If the requirements are strict like today when you apply the next time, surely they would think twice before approving your application. Reason : What if you turn down the new approval with another valid reason by then?

Fair point, I am willing to take that chance, I think my CV is strong enough.
Singaporeflyer, sorry i can't reply to PMs, so in answer to ur PM, I'm Indian, 2.5 years here, work in investment banking

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 5:52 pm

kc0793 wrote:I talked to ICA today. They confirmed that if I reject PR status now, and reapply later, they will treat it as a new application, and that my rejection now will have no bearing on the decision they make, since I have a valid reason for not taking up PR now, and because I am not abusing the system. I will still call them up again tomorrow and double-check this with another service agent, just to be sure.

KC, there is one case here and one I came across years ago of similar situation. Go to ICA and show them that you have a place in overseas Uni and ASK their advise as you will definitely not able to meet the REP guideline on your PR if you take it up hence it will become invalid if you took it and not stay in SG.
From memory , they will give a letter that state you decline PR status and would come back to SG upon completion to study.
You can write a letter to that effect too to show sincerity. Of course your next application will be a new one BUT with that letter it carries weight as you are not an abuser. The other case is ICA advise the PR applicant to give up and reapply when he returns due to his job description from his SG Office. He got it back when he settled down in SG after the overseas assignment.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 12 Jul 2010 12:11 pm

kc0793 wrote:
Reasons:
1) I have decided to go for higher studies abroad and might/might not be back here in the future.

How long are you planning to be abroad to do higher studies?

2) I already have PEP, which is a one-time pass, and might as well use it for the remainder of my Singapore stay before I leave for studies.

And you'll lose your PEP status after not working for 6 months so wont be able to use that to gain employment in Singapore in the future

3) I am too lazy to get all the medical checkups, forms filled for the final PR approval :)

I travelled half way around the world to do my medical and to complete the PR process!

My question is this:

Not sure why I'm even suggesting this as it goes against my normal PR principals, but if you still go ahead and complete your PR, if you weren't so lazy of course, you could still complete your studies and if that was only for a couple of years that would still give you time to try and gain employment back in Singapore and have a couple of yearly tax returns under your belt before you need to reapply for REP after 5 years.

Thanks for all your help

KindnessFirst

Postby KindnessFirst » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:44 pm

I think Mad Scientist's answer from July 8 at 5:52 pm gives you the right answer. If I were you, I would follow his advise on this. Ask ICA what to do in your situation, and ask for a written and stamped letter stating their advise. You can include that letter with your next PR application.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 4:33 pm

=D>

ancientmariner

Postby ancientmariner » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 7:48 pm

My question is this:

Not sure why I'm even suggesting this as it goes against my normal PR principals, but if you still go ahead and complete your PR, if you weren't so lazy of course, you could still complete your studies and if that was only for a couple of years that would still give you time to try and gain employment back in Singapore and have a couple of yearly tax returns under your belt before you need to reapply for REP after 5 years.

Thanks for all your help[/quote][/quote]

HI KC0793,

IF I WOULD BE YOU, I WOULD DEFINITELY CONSIDER AS SUGGESTED BY SAINT!!!
Nobody knows about future!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:11 pm

Put it another way. You don't know what the future holds re: gaining PR. It could change dramatically (has done since Sept 09 already). You might not be able to get it then. But if you already have it. Well, need I say more?