Singapore Expats Forum

PR and NS woes

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
wongkw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 03 Jul 2010

PR and NS woes

Postby wongkw » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 5:45 pm

Hi,

I know this topic has been done to death many many times over. However, what I've read so far on the forums does not give answers to my questions.

My situation is quite different from others. Currently, I am 15, studying in a Singapore Government School. After GCE O Levels, it is my intent to go to Australia for further education.

This poses a problem about NS however. It would be extremely troublesome to complete Foundation Studies and then have to come back for my 2 years of NS.

My intent is to renounce my PR after my O levels are completed. Seeing as I am born in April, this unfortunately means after the medical check-up.

I have not collected my Singapore Blue NRIC, I have not even registered for it. However, I do have a S95****** ID number (though I honestly have no idea where that comes from). Does that mean I have enjoyed socio-economic benefits of Singapore?

Anyway, the main question is, I intend to visit, not live or work in Singapore following renunciation of my PR. Assuming they approve the renunciation, will I get into trouble when entering Singapore? If yes, I honestly think that is pretty silly because they have every right to deny the renunciation of my PR if they really wanted me to serve.

I would like to stress that, once again, I do not intend to return to Singapore for work following renunciation of my PR.

Many thanks for any input.[/i]

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:29 pm

wongkw wrote:Hi,

I know this topic has been done to death many many times over. However, what I've read so far on the forums does not give answers to my questions.

Incorrect , there a a few in your situation. Go to the search button and you can find many in your woes

My situation is quite different from others. Currently, I am 15, studying in a Singapore Government School. After GCE O Levels, it is my intent to go to Australia for further education.

This poses a problem about NS however. It would be extremely troublesome to complete Foundation Studies and then have to come back for my 2 years of NS.

Deferment for overseas studies are only up to college. Tertiary education whether it is local or overseas are not allowed for deferment.You have no other choice as you are a 2nd Gen PR under the Enlistment Act Chap 93 and Section 33 of the same act that you are required to serve NS when you turn 16 and half for NS pre registration and 18 years of age for NS
My intent is to renounce my PR after my O levels are completed. Seeing as I am born in April, this unfortunately means after the medical check-up.

This is a one way street. There is no U turn. If you intend to renounce your PR, delay your medical check up prior or else you have two weeks to pack your bags if you renounce PR now.

I have not collected my Singapore Blue NRIC, I have not even registered for it. However, I do have a S95****** ID number (though I honestly have no idea where that comes from). Does that mean I have enjoyed socio-economic benefits of Singapore?

That is PR registration number or FIN Number. Yes, you have enjoyed Singapore Economic Benefit or else you never got to study in Singapore Aided School for a low fee

Anyway, the main question is, I intend to visit, not live or work in Singapore following renunciation of my PR. Assuming they approve the renunciation, will I get into trouble when entering Singapore? If yes, I honestly think that is pretty silly because they have every right to deny the renunciation of my PR if they really wanted me to serve.

You will not be allowed to visit, transit nor work in Singapore as you have ditch Singapore in the time of need which is to serve NS. YOU OWE THEM . Yes, they can deny your PR application. Nothing silly about this, They can allow you to renounce but do not step on foot back in SG after that.
This is the rule and you have to adhere to its guidelines


I would like to stress that, once again, I do not intend to return to Singapore for work following renunciation of my PR.

No one really cares if you want to return or not. If you ditch without serving or renounce the PR , you are committing an offense which is a 3 yrs jail or $10,000 fine or both as you are considered NS defaulter.
Many thanks for any input.[/i]
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

wongkw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 03 Jul 2010

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby wongkw » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:33 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
wongkw wrote:Hi,

This is a one way street. There is no U turn. If you intend to renounce your PR, delay your medical check up prior or else you have two weeks to pack your bags if you renounce PR now.


Many thanks for any input.[/i]


Hello,

Thanks for your input. The thing is, how do you delay your medical check-up?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:47 pm

wongkw wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
wongkw wrote:Hi,

This is a one way street. There is no U turn. If you intend to renounce your PR, delay your medical check up prior or else you have two weeks to pack your bags if you renounce PR now.


Many thanks for any input.[/i]


Hello,

Thanks for your input. The thing is, how do you delay your medical check-up?


I must admit you are so young , naive and wanting to do this and that and yet , you do not even know how to delay your medical check up. LOL
My child, on the day of your reporting, make sure you see the GP and get a medical chit to state you are ill. Keep that for proof with CMPB
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

wongkw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 03 Jul 2010

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby wongkw » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
wongkw wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
wongkw wrote:Hi,

This is a one way street. There is no U turn. If you intend to renounce your PR, delay your medical check up prior or else you have two weeks to pack your bags if you renounce PR now.


Many thanks for any input.[/i]


Hello,

Thanks for your input. The thing is, how do you delay your medical check-up?


I must admit you are so young , naive and wanting to do this and that and yet , you do not even know how to delay your medical check up. LOL
My child, on the day of your reporting, make sure you see the GP and get a medical chit to state you are ill. Keep that for proof with CMPB


We all have to start somewhere, don't we? You wouldn't be able to advise me of how to do this and that without learning from someone else.

However, there is only so long that the checkup can be delayed. Usually, when does CMPB (or MINDEF or whoever) send the checkup letter?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 6:55 pm

wongkw wrote:We all have to start somewhere, don't we? You wouldn't be able to advise me of how to do this and that without learning from someone else.

Incorrect, I have served the NS in the early 70s and no, I do not do these kind of nonsense.

However, there is only so long that the checkup can be delayed. Usually, when does CMPB (or MINDEF or whoever) send the checkup letter?
If you do not report , they will send a letter again usually about two weeks to a month max.

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

wongkw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 03 Jul 2010

Postby wongkw » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 7:00 pm

If you do not report , they will send a letter again usually about two weeks to a month max.

Assuming I really do get the check up letter at 16.5 years, that will be in October. The O levels are in November. I don't know how feasible it would be to delay the medical check up for so long (a month).

One more thing I forgot to address:
Deferment for overseas studies are only up to college. Tertiary education whether it is local or overseas are not allowed for deferment.You have no other choice as you are a 2nd Gen PR under the Enlistment Act Chap 93 and Section 33 of the same act that you are required to serve NS when you turn 16 and half for NS pre registration and 18 years of age for NS

Foundation Studies is a college course - it is not counted under tertiary education.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 7:08 pm

wongkw wrote:
Assuming I really do get the check up letter at 16.5 years, that will be in October. The O levels are in November. I don't know how feasible it would be to delay the medical check up for so long (a month).
Be creative, ask your DAD. Sorry I cannot teach you things that is against the law. This is an open forum. Please do not try to PM me , you will not get me to reply

One more thing I forgot to address:
Foundation Studies is a college course - it is not counted under tertiary education.
Does not matter, you need Exit Permit to leave SG for further studies. If you are nearing the age of NS, your EP max is only One Year. Usually it is 6 months. Proof of further studies in OZ, your parent must provide bond of $75K if you intend to study "college : foundation studies" for two or more years away from SG

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon, 27 Jul 2009

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby Koalabear » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 2:57 am

How does gahmen prevent quitters from transit in Singapore when they do not even go through singapore customs?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 6:58 am

Koalabear wrote:How does gahmen prevent quitters from transit in Singapore when they do not even go through singapore customs?


Who knows? Especially with today's technology and combined databases. Advance Passenger Manifest? Just a guess. Facial Recognition software? A combination of the two?

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby Plavt » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 7:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Who knows? Especially with today's technology and combined databases. Advance Passenger Manifest? Just a guess. Facial Recognition software? A combination of the two?


I doubt if it is combined databases (at least not international) or facial recognition software (a few years would alter some features - just like in your case) :P More likely the passenger manifest with names matched against a local database - hazarding a guess.

wongkw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 03 Jul 2010

Re: PR and NS woes

Postby wongkw » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 9:39 am

Plavt wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Who knows? Especially with today's technology and combined databases. Advance Passenger Manifest? Just a guess. Facial Recognition software? A combination of the two?


I doubt if it is combined databases (at least not international) or facial recognition software (a few years would alter some features - just like in your case) :P More likely the passenger manifest with names matched against a local database - hazarding a guess.

Well, I could see that posing some problems with common names such as John Tan, if that was the case.

It's definitely not face recognition, I don't know how they're going to do it when people in transit don't even pass immigration.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35184
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:57 am

Who knows, you may already be marked. You presence on this board/IP address/may already be flagged and any similarities on transitting passengers coming through the gates off the plane may well trigger a photo recognitions programme like they used the infrared camera during the SARS episode, they were able to pick up passengers getting off the planes with higher than normal temperatures. They were so successful, that the local creater/manufacturer of the systems are selling them to airports around the world for their efficiency. Or the body scanning systems using the low-level backscatter xray technology that has people up in arms as it leaves nothing to the imagination as somebody walks by it. Hey, I don't know, but as rapidly as technology advances today, certain things may already be in play that the laypeople of the world don't even know about yet.

Singapore as used Photo Recognition software successfully for several years now at immigration already (having picked up numerous Filippina's returning with "new" passports) from what I've been told.

So I guess, the only advice I could give is the same as Clint gave in Dirty Harry..... "Do you feel lucky?" :wink:

wongkw
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat, 03 Jul 2010

Postby wongkw » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Who knows, you may already be marked. You presence on this board/IP address/may already be flagged and any similarities on transitting passengers coming through the gates off the plane may well trigger a photo recognitions programme like they used the infrared camera during the SARS episode, they were able to pick up passengers getting off the planes with higher than normal temperatures. They were so successful, that the local creater/manufacturer of the systems are selling them to airports around the world for their efficiency. Or the body scanning systems using the low-level backscatter xray technology that has people up in arms as it leaves nothing to the imagination as somebody walks by it. Hey, I don't know, but as rapidly as technology advances today, certain things may already be in play that the laypeople of the world don't even know about yet.

Singapore as used Photo Recognition software successfully for several years now at immigration already (having picked up numerous Filippina's returning with "new" passports) from what I've been told.

So I guess, the only advice I could give is the same as Clint gave in Dirty Harry..... "Do you feel lucky?" :wink:

Interesting discussion. I've yet to see face recognition implemented for transiting passengers, it'll be interesting to see how they do it. I've only seen it done at immigration.

But would they really bar an ex-PR from entering Singapore as a visitor? Even if not on a SVP? :?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 11:43 am

wongkw wrote:But would they really bar an ex-PR from entering Singapore as a visitor? Even if not on a SVP? :?


it's not that they'd bar an ex-PR, it's that an opportunity to get back at someone who ran away from NS presented itself.

i'm not from the gahmen but i have the impression that the gahmen does everything it can, when it can, to enforce NS. vindictive? yes; legal? still yes.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Housing Maintenance and Repairs Woes - How To Manage?
    by American » Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:49 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    6
    2175
    by American View the latest post
    Sun, 19 Jul 2015 5:45 pm
  • Banking woes
    by Steve1960 » Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:20 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    34
    5672
    by JR8 View the latest post
    Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:52 pm
  • US Passport woes... no passport for you!
    by PNGMK » Tue, 09 Feb 2016 10:07 am » in Latest News & Current Affairs
    7
    2719
    by BBCWatcher View the latest post
    Tue, 29 Mar 2016 3:29 pm
  • Property Agent Woes - need guidance
    by fay12 » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:15 am » in Property Talk, Housing & Rental
    14
    5058
    by taxico View the latest post
    Tue, 23 Aug 2016 11:07 pm
  • Drones and explosives and tin foil hats
    by Sporkin » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 1:47 pm » in General Discussions
    30
    4946
    by JR8 View the latest post
    Sat, 26 Jul 2014 2:06 pm

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests