Singapore Expats Forum

how

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
kristin.shwe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 04 Dec 2008

how

Postby kristin.shwe » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 4:07 pm

hi
Last edited by kristin.shwe on Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: how to become a singaporean

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 01 Jul 2010 6:44 pm

kristin.shwe wrote:hi

i came to study engineering at nus in 2007 and i got an invitation letter to apply for singapore permanent residency after my first year in singapore.
So now i have been a PR for about one and a half years.

i was wondering if i can apply for singapore citizenship before graduating from university. Since people can normally apply for citizenship after 2 years of permanence residency, I don't know if that applies to my case as i don't have a job now or will not have a job soon.

thanks.


Not now Get a job and settle down with permanent employment. Wait till 2 yrs
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
xtasy010
Regular
Regular
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2007

Postby xtasy010 » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 1:05 pm

You mean to say you applied for and got your PR even before graduating? I thought you can use the invitation letter to apply for PR only after you graduate and find employment.

kristin.shwe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 04 Dec 2008

Postby kristin.shwe » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 1:59 pm

xtasy010 wrote:You mean to say you applied for and got your PR even before graduating? I thought you can use the invitation letter to apply for PR only after you graduate and find employment.


hi there

yes that's right. that's the usual route where the student gets the invitation letter in 3rd year of school or some time before graduation, at least from what i hear in polytechnics and unis. for people who haven't got the invitation letter, just find a permanent job first and apply for PR later.

but i think there was an accelerated PR scheme for certain people in universities. i got the invitation letter after my first year at nus and became a permanent resident by march 2009. so now i have been a pr for about 1.5 yr even though i won't graduate from nus until 2011.

that's why i am wondering if i have to follow the usual route to become a singaporean. if you have any information, would be grateful to know. thanks :)

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 3:12 pm

They were giving PRs out for fun back then, totally different the last 9 months or so

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 3:17 pm

What OP said is true , by any chance you are an Indonesian. If yes that would explain everything on your PR.
For SG Citizenship , you have to proof to Gahmen you are stayer hence gainfully employed , paying tax blah blah blah.
Wait 2 yrs you should be alright
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 1:11 pm

My girlfriend is a PR and went to apply for Singapore citizenship about 3 months ago, as she went to queue up they took a look at her form and told her not to bother as she wouldn't get it due to her salary not being high enough. I'm told that the Singapore average is 2500-3000 and she's in that ballpark so I assume it's probably election-related and if she tried again next year she'd get it.

They didn't actually register her application in the system or charge her the appication fee though, someone at the office literally took a look at her application and said don't bother going through with the application as you won't get it now. At least it saved the wasted money on the fee I suppose, although I thought it seemed a bit strange that people in the application office are giving out advice as to who will and won't get it (I thought the forms would go off to a government office to be reviewed by some beaurocrat somewhere)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 3:34 pm

As they don't wear uniforms there, are you sure it was an employee who looked at the application form? Might have been someone who was trying to reduce the waiting list in order to file their own application. That or one of the frustrated locals who doesn't like foreigners. :wink:

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 05 Jul 2010 4:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As they don't wear uniforms there, are you sure it was an employee who looked at the application form? Might have been someone who was trying to reduce the waiting list in order to file their own application. That or one of the frustrated locals who doesn't like foreigners. :wink:


In this 'country' nothing would surprise me :wink:

kristin.shwe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 04 Dec 2008

Postby kristin.shwe » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 3:14 am

JayCee wrote:My girlfriend is a PR and went to apply for Singapore citizenship about 3 months ago, as she went to queue up they took a look at her form and told her not to bother as she wouldn't get it due to her salary not being high enough. I'm told that the Singapore average is 2500-3000 and she's in that ballpark so I assume it's probably election-related and if she tried again next year she'd get it.

They didn't actually register her application in the system or charge her the appication fee though, someone at the office literally took a look at her application and said don't bother going through with the application as you won't get it now. At least it saved the wasted money on the fee I suppose, although I thought it seemed a bit strange that people in the application office are giving out advice as to who will and won't get it (I thought the forms would go off to a government office to be reviewed by some beaurocrat somewhere)


i see.. did you take the online thingy on ica website where you put in your salary and other details to see if you are eligible for citizenship application?
i thought the government might be wanting more citizens as there are so many PR unwilling to give up their own citizenships. well... i guess from the fact that they turned you away just by glancing at your application, the government itself is not really welcoming the applications at the moment.
i mean.. when they want to be generous, they really were generous at least with the PR applications back in 2008 or so.
maybe it's partly because of the election but i also heard that they are much more careful with citizenship than with PR apps.
so yea.. i guess i just have to wait and see. thanks. best of luck with your application!

kristin.shwe
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu, 04 Dec 2008

Postby kristin.shwe » Thu, 08 Jul 2010 3:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As they don't wear uniforms there, are you sure it was an employee who looked at the application form? Might have been someone who was trying to reduce the waiting list in order to file their own application. That or one of the frustrated locals who doesn't like foreigners. :wink:


it must be really horrible if it really was just someone milling about the place , saying non sense to applicants, purely out of spite.


Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests