Singapore Expats Forum

Pressurised ? Pressured?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 7:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Theoretically it is more correct than the British way, I would think. You can't do something on a day as it not a fixed object. I would think, to be totally proper, it should be "during Wednesday as it is a passage of time. Course, with my English, I'm lucky to be able to say Wen is day or is it Whens Day? :???:

Why do you always make out that your English is 'ordinary' SMS when you know damned well it's not? You ain't getting any praise from me though. Your use of English isn't ordinary. But that's all you're getting!! :P
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 7:53 pm

tartling wrote:
Also, would you orient or orientate yourself in the right direction? And what if you were to use it in a different context? E.g. I wish to get orient(at)ed with that handsome stranger.

A theme song for those confused about their 'orientation',
"Go West" ! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 8:09 pm

:o Brokeback Mountain?

Otherwise known as stump broken! :lol:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Fri, 02 Jul 2010 8:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Personally, I prefer women that are 'pneumatic' as opposed to 'pressurized'.

lol! :roll:

I never realized that "orientated" was an accepted word anywhere. I always thought it was a word with an extra syllable added to make it sound more correct, a la "irregardless".

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-ori1.htm

Now I know. I'm still going to use "oriented" myself. Does one "orientate" oneself? Or is it used only in the past tense? If I'm lost am I disorientated? It all sounds so strange to me.

I was also amused by the recent substitution of "discrete" for "discreet" in another post on this forum. Also the sign I saw at the beach that suggested vinegar as an antidote for a jellyfish "stunk". Being in Asia can make for some very funny Engrish...although I'm sure my Mandarin would be just as funny :D

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 7:59 pm

poodlek wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Personally, I prefer women that are 'pneumatic' as opposed to 'pressurized'.

I never realized that "orientated" was an accepted word anywhere. I always thought it was a word with an extra syllable added to make it sound more correct, a la "irregardless".

Now I know. I'm still going to use "oriented" myself. Does one "orientate" oneself? Or is it used only in the past tense? If I'm lost am I disorientated? It all sounds so strange to me.

I was also amused by the recent substitution of "discrete" for "discreet" in another post on this forum. Also the sign I saw at the beach that suggested vinegar as an antidote for a jellyfish "stunk". Being in Asia can make for some very funny Engrish...although I'm sure my Mandarin would be just as funny :D

Well 'oriented' was to me just hilarious 'til I looked it up just now. Can't believe it's a word. It sounds like you're facing east?! NEVER heard of that word with regard to one's position. I have images of the 3 wise men being 'disoriented' somewhere in the desert. :lol: But apparently THAT spelling is just as acceptable as 'disorinetated'. Living and learning.....

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 8:25 pm

ozchick wrote:
poodlek wrote:

Well 'oriented' was to me just hilarious 'til I looked it up just now. Can't believe it's a word. It sounds like you're facing east?! NEVER heard of that word with regard to one's position. I have images of the 3 wise men being 'disoriented' somewhere in the desert. :lol: But apparently THAT spelling is just as acceptable as 'disorinetated'. Living and learning.....
Orienteering is a sport all women need to try! It helps when driving too!

Return to “General Discussions”