Singapore Expats Forum

Forgot my sister's birthday!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Forgot my sister's birthday!

Postby ozchick » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 8:12 pm

About 2 weeks ago I went to HV to get a birthday card for my sister Rosie in Oz. Every card I saw at Lim's and Cold Storage had those awful 'sugary', 'lovey-dovey' "those-are-not-MY-words" type of sentiment.
So with good intentions I bought nothing in the hope of finding something better later in the week. But I forgot didn't I? Oh yeah. :cry:
So the birthday is tomorrow. I've penned this little verse below, and then I'm gonna try to find an animated birthday gif and chuck it all in an email. It's not the same as snail mail. Dunno about you guys but I reckon snail-mail is still hard to beat.

Two weeks ago I went to buy a simple birthday card
I never thought that finding such a thing would be that hard.
The words I read on all of them were nothing short of kitch
So personally I’ve penned a better Happy Birthday pitch!

I hope that on your birthday Melbourne's weather wil be fine
That all your little piano students come to class on time
I hope that someone's planned a meal so you can have a rest
With birthday cake and all- and Ro I wish you all the best!

(Copyright Ozchick 2010)

Not bad eh? :cool: No sentiments at all really. I don't do 'corny'. Mm...now for that avatar. Sometimes I find a cool animated one but when it reaches the other end it's not animated anymore. Maybe cyber-space is a tiring experience?! Any advice on why that happens? And I didn't buy an e-card cos last time I paid for somethng that apparently never arrived.
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Postby missis » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 8:19 am

Cute poem - in a good way! That you've sat down and thought about it should make up for not sending a card. It's frustrating here, my family think cards are important (while my in-laws couldn't give a stuff) - but most of the time you can't find a decent card to send!

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 9:00 am

At least , you did not forget your own birthday (wink-wink, nudge-nudge).

That said, animated gifs stop animating because of either they were wrongly saved or the browser doesn't support animated gifs (my Android browser doesn't show animated gifs animating).