Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas Lights & Snow

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
fatmouse76
Regular
Regular
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat, 15 May 2010

Christmas Lights & Snow

Postby fatmouse76 » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 9:31 pm

Hii there can anyone suggest a nice place to go in December where there will be snow and nice christmas lightings ... somewhere not too far from home ... not too expensive also ehhee..i do have 2 kids with me

thanks !!! :)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Christmas Lights & Snow

Postby nakatago » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 9:52 pm

fatmouse76 wrote:Hii there can anyone suggest a nice place to go in December where there will be snow and nice christmas lightings ... somewhere not too far from home ... not too expensive also ehhee..i do have 2 kids with me

thanks !!! :)


orchard road for the lights, snow city for the, well, snow.

:P

failing that, japan.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34266
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:32 pm

Tanglin Mall had snow one year? Unfortunately it was created by using a fake foam snow blower. :(

Image

fatmouse76
Regular
Regular
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat, 15 May 2010

Postby fatmouse76 » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:04 pm

hahhhahha so common in Singapore Expats forum to get replies like these ..its ok .

:cool:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34266
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 12:01 am

Korea or Japan.

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 5:51 pm

One of my kids came out in a rash after we went to that Tanglin Mall snow thingie once - it's like concentrated detergent!

As SMS says, Japan or Korea might be the places to go for snow (what about Taiwan, do they get snow?), but I don't know if the Asian countries go for the whole Christmas Tree, Santa Claus thing like they would do in Europe or the USA/Canada.

I've always fancied going to Harbin for the ice festival but I read that it doesn't start until early Jan so not much point going there for Christmas.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 6:15 pm

BigSis wrote:One of my kids came out in a rash after we went to that Tanglin Mall snow thingie once - it's like concentrated detergent!

As SMS says, Japan or Korea might be the places to go for snow (what about Taiwan, do they get snow?), but I don't know if the Asian countries go for the whole Christmas Tree, Santa Claus thing like they would do in Europe or the USA/Canada.

I've always fancied going to Harbin for the ice festival but I read that it doesn't start until early Jan so not much point going there for Christmas.


[Tokyo] Japan does, albeit a very commercialized occasion...like Valentine's Day.

fatmouse76
Regular
Regular
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat, 15 May 2010

Postby fatmouse76 » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:39 pm

hi thanks for the chweet replies. but in Japan ,do they celebrate X-mas the same as in EU?

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 29 Jun 2010 11:14 pm

fatmouse76 wrote:hi thanks for the chweet replies. but in Japan ,do they celebrate X-mas the same as in EU?


not really. it's a working day but the commercialization gives it recognition--hence the decorations, the carols, the TV specials. it's a "date day" for couples so if you're out on christmas eve night, expect to see a lot of lovebirds. think orchard road during christmas.

oh, i forgot to mention, it rarely snows in tokyo. it does, but rare.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Travel & Holidays”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests