Singapore Expats

Singpost estimated delivery times

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
ozchick
Editor
Editor

Singpost estimated delivery times

Post by ozchick » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:55 am

Was checking prices of postcards to Oz and came across the estimated delivery times. I see Melbourne listed as 4-6 days! :shock:
Que?! Memo Singpost: Try 6-7 days, NEVER less.
I wonder if Singpost has ever actually CHECKED their information.
I guess it's just the happy nature of Singaporeans to always think positive. I't would be nice if my snail-mail got there under 6 days but in my 3 years here that has never happened. I'm pleased as punch that the actual 6-7 days is reliable though. At least I can plan for birthdays etc, but Singpost should get this right...
Just checked this again- it's to the 'office of mail exchange' only, but still it's misleading and would better read 5-8 days.
http://www.singpost.com.sg/quick_servic ... itTime.pdf
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 1:15 pm

Ozchickie, I recently sent a 102 gram padded envelope to NSW, AUS, via normal airmail and put it in the post office (physically) on 31 May with a return receipt attached to it, so that I would know it was delivered. It was signed for on delivery on the 4th of June. Reckon that worked out to 5 days including PO dropoff date & actually delivery date. I'm sittin' here looking at the AR and it's postmarked 04 Jun 2010 Macarthur Square NSW 2560.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 1:17 pm

Seems like they have their own system. We moved here last August and so far 3 greeting cards have been lost on their way from the UK to here (two birthday cards and a Christmas one, all from people who I know always send one) - we were in Japan for 14 years and never had anything go astray.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 4:57 pm

missis wrote:Seems like they have their own system. We moved here last August and so far 3 greeting cards have been lost on their way from the UK to here (two birthday cards and a Christmas one, all from people who I know always send one) - we were in Japan for 14 years and never had anything go astray.
Could it be that the senders made an error on the address, I have made errors sending to my own address, my house number is 514 and more than once i have wrote 145, found my packages sitting in Singpost Sent from USA. It's so easy to make a mistake when moving into new properties, Just a part of the address missing or wrong, without the post code and its totally not delivered. The post code must tally with the correct blk address if it doesn't it will sit in Singpost office for the next 6 months, before being destroyed. Just my own experience!

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 6:58 pm

ksl wrote:Could it be that the senders made an error on the address, I have made errors sending to my own address, my house number is 514 and more than once i have wrote 145
LOL! :D :)

you need doctor kawashima's brain training. :P :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 7:30 pm

Nah, he just need to address his mail when he's not been on the Baron's! :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 8:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nah, he just need to address his mail when he's not been on the Baron's! :P
Come to think of it, that might be true :lol:
Well it's time to punish myself http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/uJFdSEM7yow

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by missis » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 9:49 pm

ksl wrote:
missis wrote:Seems like they have their own system. We moved here last August and so far 3 greeting cards have been lost on their way from the UK to here (two birthday cards and a Christmas one, all from people who I know always send one) - we were in Japan for 14 years and never had anything go astray.
Could it be that the senders made an error on the address, I have made errors sending to my own address, my house number is 514 and more than once i have wrote 145, found my packages sitting in Singpost Sent from USA. It's so easy to make a mistake when moving into new properties, Just a part of the address missing or wrong, without the post code and its totally not delivered. The post code must tally with the correct blk address if it doesn't it will sit in Singpost office for the next 6 months, before being destroyed. Just my own experience!
Absolutely no way - we have a very brief address which is a street name and a single digit number, followed by Singapore and the post code! Sent by 3 different people.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:31 pm

Haven't had trouble sending or receiving snail mail from the more popular destinations- US, UK, Finland and even Belgium. However, it took 20 days for a letter to get to a penpal in Armenia!! So much for "air"mail!!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:45 pm

missis wrote:
ksl wrote:
Absolutely no way - we have a very brief address which is a street name and a single digit number, followed by Singapore and the post code! Sent by 3 different people.
Then you should really ring them up to complain, that your mail is disappearing, if its anything like British Post Office they will find it in a dustbin some place, along with the football players, what an embarrassment OMG, Don't mention the bloody football Faulty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0 Well done Germany you deserve to win :oops: What a disgrace for England!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Singpost estimated delivery times

Post by Splatted » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 1:10 am

ozchick wrote:Just checked this again- it's to the 'office of mail exchange' only, but still it's misleading and would better read 5-8 days.
Totally agree. I sent a single A4 sheet of paper in a standard envelope on the 11/6/10 to the RTBA so that I could get my rental bond back. RTBA website states the form was received on 24/6/10.

Not counting weekends and Queens Birthday, that's 8 business days in total I had to wait.