Singapore Expats

ID Card

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
User avatar
makale
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 4:26 pm

ID Card

Post by makale » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 9:29 am

I Singapore the same as Hong Kong in relation to having to carry and ID card at all times? If so, how long do you have to apply for one, once you have landed.

Cheers me Dears

I used to be dyslexic but i am KO now

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: ID Card

Post by x9200 » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:50 am

For short therm visits your ID is either your passport or the passport and a document confirming your legal status (LTSVP, EP etc. - use google). For the citizens and permanent residents there are different IDs.
I expect formally you need to carry such documents with you what regardless the legal requirements seems to be also a common sense.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40452
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:17 am

If you are here on a Social Visit Pass, you only need to carry some form of identification, e.g., passport (not advisable), driver's license or some other form of identification preferably with a photo affixed to it.

If you are here on any other type of LTVP or Dependent's pass you will be issued a special laminated pass identifying you and the type of pass it is. You must always carry it.

If you have gained residency here via an Employment Visa, e.g., Work Permit, S, Q, P1, P2, or PEP you should carry that pass.

If you have gained either PR or Citizenship, you must carry the NRIC Pass (either blue - PR; or, pink - Citizen)

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
makale
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 4:26 pm

Post by makale » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 9:32 pm

Many thanks for the info.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 1:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are here on a Social Visit Pass, you only need to carry some form of identification, e.g., passport (not advisable), driver's license or some other form of identification preferably with a photo affixed to it.

If you are here on any other type of LTVP or Dependent's pass you will be issued a special laminated pass identifying you and the type of pass it is. You must always carry it.

If you have gained residency here via an Employment Visa, e.g., Work Permit, S, Q, P1, P2, or PEP you should carry that pass.

If you have gained either PR or Citizenship, you must carry the NRIC Pass (either blue - PR; or, pink - Citizen)

sms

Never really got it, but then I am British :wink: 'I am a man, I am not a number!'

How liberating to hail from one of the few countries that appears to still not have ID cards. And how liberating that the new government abandoned the totalitarian plan to introduce one. You don't even have to carry a driving license when driving in the UK... now that's cool. You have to in SG but they're much worse drivers....

Why do you always have to carry ID in Singapore? I thought the concept of being able to 'present it [i.e. a driver's license, or equiv. id] within a reasonable time at a police station' carrried over from the UK to SG.

If I'm down at the pool in my Speedos, do I have to tuck one in, just in case? :)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 3:01 am

JR8 wrote:If I'm down at the pool in my Speedos, do I have to tuck one in, just in case? :)
It doesn't even have to be that extreme a case. For example, carrying an official ID while running could ruin the ID. My EP is still just a piece of laminated card (I didn't make it to the point where they're issuing plastic cards already) and it's falling apart already and it just stays in my wallet!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 6:30 am

JR8 wrote:'I am a man, I am not a number!'
So you do not register your child at birth in GB?

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 6:49 am

nakatago wrote: It doesn't even have to be that extreme a case. For example, carrying an official ID while running could ruin the ID. My EP is still just a piece of laminated card (I didn't make it to the point where they're issuing plastic cards already) and it's falling apart already and it just stays in my wallet!
I don't think you will be harshly punished for not having your ID with you. I expect nothing will happen if this is your first offence except some waste of time and possible embarrassment. If repeated you probably will be fined - a small administrative fee for wasting time of the authorities.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 10:56 am

x9200 wrote:
nakatago wrote: It doesn't even have to be that extreme a case. For example, carrying an official ID while running could ruin the ID. My EP is still just a piece of laminated card (I didn't make it to the point where they're issuing plastic cards already) and it's falling apart already and it just stays in my wallet!
I don't think you will be harshly punished for not having your ID with you. I expect nothing will happen if this is your first offence except some waste of time and possible embarrassment. If repeated you probably will be fined - a small administrative fee for wasting time of the authorities.
No authority figure has stopped me--or any of the others I see getting exercise--yet when I'm zipping around the neighborhood. I expect them to use common sense in those cases.

Here's a funny anecdote from Japan and this is a true story, I swear.
A bunch of colleagues--a German guy, someone who looks Indian and two Chinese dudes--were invited by their Japanese counterparts for a party after work. After the party, these four decided to walk to the train station. So, almost midnight, you have these four international guys, walking and talking through--inadvertently--a posh neighborhood.

A cop saw them and requested to see some ID. The two showed theirs, the other two forget theirs in their hotel rooms. The cop simply wouldn't let this pass and he really wanted to see their ID. What could they do, right? So, what the cop did was call some backup and eventually a squad car came. They all got in and went to the hotel so they could fetch their passports to show to the cops. The cops saw their visas--they were valid, of course--were satisfied, bid them a good night and drove off.
Free ride home.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 4:26 pm

nakatago wrote:No authority figure has stopped me--or any of the others I see getting exercise--yet when I'm zipping around the neighborhood.
There are places in Singapore where you will be stopped and ask to show your ID and I am not talking about painting graffiti inside a security area :)
I go from time to time off the beaten track with my camera and was checked already twice.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Sun, 27 Jun 2010 5:08 pm

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:'I am a man, I am not a number!'
So you do not register your child at birth in GB?
You do, that gets you a birth certicate. As far as I am aware it does not carry a number. I think I last needed to use mine applying for a passport (7 years ago)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests