Singapore Expats Forum

PR invitation

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pilotmoon

PR invitation

Postby pilotmoon » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 5:40 pm

Is it true that if a foreigner takes up a post graduate degree (MS or PhD) here in Singapore, maybe NUS or NTU, that after graduation, or maybe right before graduation, the person is given the invitation to take up permanent residency?
Last edited by pilotmoon on Thu, 01 Jul 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
go brazil!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 5:55 pm

It used to be true until around September '09. I believe that they have stopped that now due to the flack about too many foreigners. They have found the most only stay a little while to abuse the system before moving on to Aust, UK or Canada, so I believe they have stopped it. At least the last classes didn't get any from what I've told here.

Clutching at straws, are we?

pilotmoon

Postby pilotmoon » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 6:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It used to be true until around September '09. I believe that they have stopped that now due to the flack about too many foreigners. They have found the most only stay a little while to abuse the system before moving on to Aust, UK or Canada, so I believe they have stopped it. At least the last classes didn't get any from what I've told here.

Clutching at straws, are we?

We are having some argument at the office about it with some colleagues :lol: Somebody mentioned that, half of us dont believe it. Personally i've never heard of it until today. Anyhow, cannot just go to
school if cannot work at the same time. School fees at the good schools not exactly cheap :P
go brazil!

KindnessFirst

Postby KindnessFirst » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 3:39 pm

Hi,

I think someone graduating with a Masters or PhD would be eligible to apply for PR, but it is very competitive. According to guidemesingapore.com, only the top 1% of students will be considered for Landed PR. As guidemesingapore.com put it, "The Government of Singapore welcomes the arrival of professionals and other foreigners who are able to make a positive contribution to the country’s development and economy. There are various permanent residence schemes in place to help you obtain Singapore permanent residence through the means that is most relevant to your situation."

Check out more here:
http://www.guidemesingapore.com/permane ... chemes.htm

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 19 Jul 2010 5:47 pm

KindnessFirst wrote:Hi,

I think someone graduating with a Masters or PhD would be eligible to apply for PR, but it is very competitive. According to guidemesingapore.com, only the top 1% of students will be considered for Landed PR.

This is bullshit !! Where and how you get this info on top 1%. From which ministries you gather this info. Please do not make statistic statement without proper backing from the ministries. You are making alot of people confuse.Guidemesingapore is NOT a Ministry or Gahmen Agency. Those guys are in legal profession making quick buck on vulnerable and unsuspecting people. Are you one of them ?? Nice try !! :twisted:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

kristin.shwe

Postby kristin.shwe » Sun, 05 Sep 2010 11:30 pm

sms..
sorry for trying to be helpful..
you, despite being a moderator, act like you own the forum. you have no right to be this horrid and mean for making a simple mistake
Last edited by kristin.shwe on Tue, 07 Sep 2010 1:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Sep 2010 6:51 am

If you had bothered to read the thread in it's entirety, you would have found out that the restrictions/eleminition of offerings happened only in Sept~Nov 2009. So, the fact that you received an invitation doesn't really have any relevance or bearing on the latest policies.