Singapore Expats Forum

LPR Approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
alfaguyz

LPR Approved

Postby alfaguyz » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 2:16 pm

Hi, I have been following this forum for quite awhile but always in the silent mode and just register as a member as I think it is time for me to share something.

It took me totally by surprise that I received a email informing me that my LPR has been approve and today I have receive all the relevent documents. I submitted at the early March and it took three months and 2 weeks the result already out. When I submited in March, the person already informed me that since last year July09 the Singapore Government has tighten the rules and result will not be known so fast. They even let me know that the July09 cases submitted till that time not known yet. But that did not stop me for applying.

I have been travelling to Singapore once a month since 3 years ago after getting to know my current gf (next month will be my wife). hehe... She has been working there and just got her PR as well in May10 (apply in Nov09). After became a frequent tourist to Singapore, I started to like the environment there which prompt me to try my best to move over since last year. I had three jobs interview in investment bank since end of last year when economy start to pick up but then was not successful due to I am foreigner not easy to get employment pass nowaday, quota issue blah blah blah.

Before I submitted the LPR, I have done anything that I would think it will boost up my chances. I went to Singapore to sit for the relevent exam which relate to my financial career. Total 3 papers. Yes, I paid myself. I submitted my income tax records which I filed in my home country and photostate the tax payment slips to them, of course it need to be certified true copy. Open a bank saving account in Singapore (Please don't laugh, I know it is crazy, but I just do whatever I can to boost up my chance).

Results was known within 3.5 months. Before that I really did not give myself too much hope and my gf told me that worst come to worst she will come back at the end of next year. Oh well, now I have to utilize this LPR and move to Singapore ASAP. I just bought myself a brand new car last month. Sigh... I going to miss her much. Will resign next week and move forward to be in Singapore soon.

Sorry for the long dull story telling, I just feel that I have something to share with anyone from here who already apply LPR, do not give up your hope. Pray hard and God will do the rest. Cheersss!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 2:40 pm

Sounds like you followed protocol and kept your patience. Patience usually pays off in the long term. Congratulations. Now, once you arrive with the LPR getting a position should be pretty easy as you had already had some interviews. When you get here on the LPR, the employer hasn't got a gripe as it's the same as hiring a local, except for the first 2 years, their CPF contributions will be reduced for you.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 2:43 pm

Good On you , Mate !! Congratulations on your LPR !!

Perseverance does counts !!

Welcome to Singapore !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

serve_the_servants
Regular
Regular

Postby serve_the_servants » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 5:28 pm

Great news alfaguyz, congrats!

Could you tell a bit more about your profile?

e.g. nationality, degrees, industry, age.

Thanks!

alfaguyz

Postby alfaguyz » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I am 28 Chinese from Malaysia. I did my Bachelor of Commerce Degree (Economics and Finance) in Australia and been working in Financial Industry for the past 5 years in Malaysia.

Just some update for the LPR. It allow me to look for job within 1 year and extendable to another 3 months extra. Cheerss...

reality1

Postby reality1 » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 3:54 pm

Congrats alfaguyz! You're so lucky to get approval in such a short time!

This is my first post and am currently waiting for the lpr outcome. My husband applied for the lpr in Oct 09 and until now still no news. We got a letter in Feb stating that our application is currently in process. Last week, we got another letter from ICA requesting us to return our blue IC (we were SG PR few years back but we left coz my husband went to the States to pursue his MBA). So, our PR expired while we were overseas.

Just wondering what is our chances when ICA asked for the blue IC back. I know it is illegal to hold the blue IC when PR expired. So, we've returned the ICs to SMC for them to forward it ICA. At least we know that they are looking into our application now.....

My husband and I studied and work in Singapore prior to moving to the States. Now that we have 3 kids on our own, we decided to move back to Singapore to settle down, mainly because I love SG and I can trust that my kids will get world class education.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 9:40 am

reality1 wrote:Congrats alfaguyz! You're so lucky to get approval in such a short time!

This is my first post and am currently waiting for the lpr outcome. My husband applied for the lpr in Oct 09 and until now still no news. We got a letter in Feb stating that our application is currently in process. Last week, we got another letter from ICA requesting us to return our blue IC (we were SG PR few years back but we left coz my husband went to the States to pursue his MBA). So, our PR expired while we were overseas.

Just wondering what is our chances when ICA asked for the blue IC back. I know it is illegal to hold the blue IC when PR expired. So, we've returned the ICs to SMC for them to forward it ICA. At least we know that they are looking into our application now.....

My husband and I studied and work in Singapore prior to moving to the States. Now that we have 3 kids on our own, we decided to move back to Singapore to settle down, mainly because I love SG and I can trust that my kids will get world class education.

This is one of the holy grail of PR. If you are PR b4 and further studies to overseas and inform ICA , they will advise you to relinquish or not if your intention is to come back to SG again. We had two forumers here who did that and they got it back once completed their studies. However if you just hold to your PR for the sake of getting a few more and intent to return since you feel that the pasture are no more greener on the other side, well, your guess is as good as mine. Yeah , one would say I was not inform on this issue blah blah blah.. But there are many things Gahmen did not say explicitly, let your imagination runs wild. The trick is to preempt and take counter measure of what "if" this and that..Moreover PR expired in 5 or 10 yrs, it is the reentry permit that will determine if you are either stayers or quitters.
It tells a lot of many here when they want to come back and looking for advise after whatever reason but when they left it is all quiet as a whistle
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

reality1

Postby reality1 » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 11:28 am

Mad Scientist wrote:This is one of the holy grail of PR. If you are PR b4 and further studies to overseas and inform ICA , they will advise you to relinquish or not if your intention is to come back to SG again. We had two forumers here who did that and they got it back once completed their studies. However if you just hold to your PR for the sake of getting a few more and intent to return since you feel that the pasture are no more greener on the other side, well, your guess is as good as mine. Yeah , one would say I was not inform on this issue blah blah blah.. But there are many things Gahmen did not say explicitly, let your imagination runs wild. The trick is to preempt and take counter measure of what "if" this and that..Moreover PR expired in 5 or 10 yrs, it is the reentry permit that will determine if you are either stayers or quitters.
It tells a lot of many here when they want to come back and looking for advise after whatever reason but when they left it is all quiet as a whistle

6 months before our PR expired, we returned to Singapore and my husband's company issued a letter stating that he is furthering his study (he was on no-pay leave). ICA extended the PR for a year and told us to apply again if we're not back in time before the PR expired. So, basically ICA did not tell us to give up the PR on the spot but extended for us. Therefore, they totally knew the reason we left.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:46 pm

Ok, when you had your PR , how long did you stay overseas. Say, you got it 2005, did you left immediately for further study or did you inform ICA b4 you left ?
When ICA extend for you what is the time span between living overseas

reality1

Postby reality1 » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 1:38 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Ok, when you had your PR , how long did you stay overseas. Say, you got it 2005, did you left immediately for further study or did you inform ICA b4 you left ?
When ICA extend for you what is the time span between living overseas

We were PR for 4 years b4 we left. 6 months later we came back to settle some stuff and got our PR extented. Because we're unable to come back in time to renew and after my husband graduated, he paid off his company's bond and found a job in the States. We were there for 3 yrs and decided to come home to be nearer to family. Our kids need to grow up knowing their cousins and grandparents.

So when we are still PR and away from Singapore, ICA definitely aware about it. They did not give us any time span between living overseas. They just gave us a year extension and should it expired we will come back look for job and apply again. We were back from the States last Sept and my husband found a job in Malaysia (we're Malaysian) when he was still in the States. So we decided to move back first but we applied for LPR immediately when we returned. We would have move back to Singapore immediately if we can, but we can't coz we're no longer PR.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 3:55 pm

reality1 wrote:
We were PR for 4 years b4 we left. 6 months later we came back to settle some stuff and got our PR extented. Because we're unable to come back in time to renew and after my husband graduated,

This is not what I meant. B4 you left for further study , you seek ICA permission to go for further studies i.e their blessing in writing that once finish you want to come back to SG. You did not do that

he paid off his company's bond and found a job in the States. We were there for 3 yrs and decided to come home to be nearer to family. Our kids need to grow up knowing their cousins and grandparents.

Looks like ICA already knew that you are leaving for good

So when we are still PR and away from Singapore, ICA definitely aware about it. They did not give us any time span between living overseas. They just gave us a year extension and should it expired we will come back look for job and apply again. We were back from the States last Sept and my husband found a job in Malaysia (we're Malaysian) when he was still in the States. So we decided to move back first but we applied for LPR immediately when we returned.

IMHO your chances are slim but no harm in trying . Just do not keep too much hope or else you will be disappointed

reality1

Postby reality1 » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 4:46 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
reality1 wrote:
We were PR for 4 years b4 we left. 6 months later we came back to settle some stuff and got our PR extented. Because we're unable to come back in time to renew and after my husband graduated,

This is not what I meant. B4 you left for further study , you seek ICA permission to go for further studies i.e their blessing in writing that once finish you want to come back to SG. You did not do that

he paid off his company's bond and found a job in the States. We were there for 3 yrs and decided to come home to be nearer to family. Our kids need to grow up knowing their cousins and grandparents.

Looks like ICA already knew that you are leaving for good

So when we are still PR and away from Singapore, ICA definitely aware about it. They did not give us any time span between living overseas. They just gave us a year extension and should it expired we will come back look for job and apply again. We were back from the States last Sept and my husband found a job in Malaysia (we're Malaysian) when he was still in the States. So we decided to move back first but we applied for LPR immediately when we returned.

IMHO your chances are slim but no harm in trying . Just do not keep too much hope or else you will be disappointed

Btw, who are u to judge who gets it or not and where did you get all the info from? You know all the requirements of ICA?
Last edited by reality1 on Sat, 26 Jun 2010 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 4:57 pm

reality1 wrote:
Btw, who are u to judge who gets it or not and where did you get all the info from? You know all the requirements of ICA?

You are right, I am not the one to judge if you can get it or not. BUT I DO KNOW ALOT ABOUT ICA REQUIREMENT AMONG OTHER THINGS !!!:cool:
You asked for advise right?
So I gave you what I know but you can decide to take it or not. It is free
Read all my posts and you will know what I am talking about. I do not BS nor do I point to the wrong direction. What I do know are facts.If I am made error in advise, I will be the first to apologise. You do not have to ruffle me as I am too old for that
If you do not like what I said, it is your choice, thanks for nothing

Good Luck

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 6:53 pm

reality1,

I must admit, you take the cake. You come here, hat in hand, asking for our best advice. MS has fistfuls of contacts here both from his military career and business networks and other government agencies. We collect as much data as we can and in MS's case he even spends time on the phone touching his network for information and well as spending, like myself, countless hours trying to help. Often we cannot. We are not miracle workers - if one has screwed it up badly enough there is SFA we can do about it, and when we cant we tell you to be prepared for the worst.

What we do, costs us a lot of personal time and we don't get paid for it at all. The most we get for it is the satisfaction of helping others and, albeit even rarer, a thank you when his/our advice produces fruit. So rather than coming on here all righteous like, you ought to be grateful that somebody actually takes the time out of their weekends/evenings/workdays to try to help you. Have a good weekend.

reality1

Postby reality1 » Sat, 26 Jun 2010 10:07 pm

MS, sorry if I sounded rude as I was totally shut down by the discouraging advice (I can't wait to move back to SG as we have a home there). I am feeling so overwhelmed that the info you have can't be found anywhere else and even the officer in ICA did not advice us on what to do. Nevertheless, thank you so much for your advice. There isn't anything I can do now but to wait for the outcome.