Singapore Expats Forum

Will EPEC application will affect the LPR progress?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nixau

Will EPEC application will affect the LPR progress?

Postby nixau » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:03 pm

Hellow all,

here's my brief condition. I applied for LPR since Oct last year, hoping that my LPR will be granted on Jan'10, since my SMC agent told me that it usually takes about 3-4 months to get it done. So in January 2010, I was preparing to move and live here in Singapore, by quitting my job and moving my things here. At that time, I dont know about the PR issues in Singapore.

But the situation have changed when I was arrived by the end of January. PR become a hot topic in Singapore and even Stratis Times wrote the issue for their headlines. PR became hard-to-get for foreigners, since citizen complaining about too many foreigners here.
On the other hand, my LPR still not being approved by now, I got 2 letters from ICA (feb and june) told me that they still process the LPR.
But because I already had prepared my migration here and for me there's no turning back, all I can do is waiting.

But when I got the second interim letter from ICA (with exactly the same info with first one), I decided to try applying job with EP (6 months without working, it surely enough). Being worried that it will affecting my LPR process, I ask my agent whether I can apply for EP or not without affecting my LPR - and they said ok. I even came to ICA and make sure with them; they only said that it's up to the agent answer. Any opinions on this matter?

The other issue, since I'm still using the 30 days visit pass, it's very hard for me to maintain the validity by going in/out Singapore. Last Sunday, I heard that one can apply for EPEC and get 1 year Long term visit Pass. Asking MOM whether I eligible for that, yesterday MOM nicely call me back and told me it is ok with them if I appying for one. But it's still up to the ICA whether it will affecting with my current LPR progress or not.
Anyone experienced with this similar situation? Will it affecting my current LPR process? Is there any chance for me to get the LTVP using EPEC?
I'm very appreciated for any information from you guys. Thanks a lot.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:20 pm

Confucius say "man who keep trying to swap horse in middle of stream eventually get wet and drown".

nixau

Postby nixau » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:31 pm

hai, SMS =)

so, what do you suggest for me is just faithfully waiting for the LPR result?

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:33 pm

Ppl do not stop to amaze me. How can one quit a job and move to a different country without securing anything? IMHO only this could be already enough not to grant PR to somebody. Afterall they typically look for people with extended skill set not for the ones without the most rudimentary ones.
Great agent BTW.

nixau

Postby nixau » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:43 pm

truthfully I didnt know the issue at that time; even the agent didnt advised me anything. I'm intending to move here since my fiance already work as an SPR, and I want to make living here. She even encouraged me to move. Maybe base on her experience that only waiting for 3 months to get the PR.

I know my mistakes now, I really do :( . But all I need now is solution from you guys..

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 1:26 pm

At least you have somebody in Singapore.
I would wait and I would consider leaving the country after your pass is expired. You do not know how long is it going to take with your PR application and doing border jumping to extend your visa is not seen as a plus. I guess you can do it safely once. If you apply for any form of EP I would expect your PR application to be more likely rejected as EP gives the gament better control over you and PR is in fact a privilege.
My speculations only. SMS and MS are the experts.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 1:57 pm

Frankly, if he gets pulled up for visa runs, he will have probably put the final nail in his coffin. So far OP hasn't shown the stuff that will endear him to the gahmen here. I would have stayed in my home country until there was, a) a job and an IPA for an S or higher employment visa; or b) until he received the IPA for PR from SMC Consultants. I wouldn't stay in Singapore, unemployed and having to dash across the causeway every couple of weeks as they are gonna nail him for sure.

nixau

Postby nixau » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 3:05 pm

thanks for the quick response guys.
i really appreciate it

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 4:39 pm

nixau wrote:truthfully I didnt know the issue at that time; even the agent didnt advised me anything. I'm intending to move here since my fiance already work as an SPR, and I want to make living here. She even encouraged me to move. Maybe base on her experience that only waiting for 3 months to get the PR.

I know my mistakes now, I really do :( . But all I need now is solution from you guys..

I will throw some lose change here and see if this suits you.

First of all LPR is thru ICA and EPEC is thru MOM. MOM will canvass for ICA on both issues but ICA word is final.
I would not advise you to stay here and do visa run as it is easily detectable and when you submit LPR , your visa run is link.If you are caught a border control and forwarded to their supervisor, then that is the end of you. Your kiss your LPR , EPEC whatever goodbye. So..... go back to your home country for a wee bit. I would be incline for you to stay there until you get your LPR.
At the meantime submit any other supporting documents that shows that you are ready to submit yourself to the regime of SG Gahmen. Things like financial stability, income earned in your home country and even getting married but your gf must get permission from MOM first b4 you tie the knot.
It is no point running around like a blind man . If you get caught for overstay , you are done for. Your life , your marriage and do not talk about the inconveniences arise from your stupidity after all you knew it is an offense to overstay. Your gf will understand , If she doesn't, well it speaks alot about herself. Do not jeopardize this opportunity
So please think carefully
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 4:49 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: even getting married but your gf must get permission from MOM first b4 you tie the knot.

Just a quick query, why would gf need to get permission to marry from MOM seeing she's a PR?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 5:03 pm

Saint wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: even getting married but your gf must get permission from MOM first b4 you tie the knot.

Just a quick query, why would gf need to get permission to marry from MOM seeing she's a PR?

OP has no pass yet, LPR is pending. So just to cover his bases, yes gf is SPR. There was one case here too , gf is SPR but bf comes to apply. so gf ask MOM and got it in writing to go ahead with marriage. Just to make sure not to fall into any pitfall
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 8:45 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
Saint wrote:

OP has no pass yet, LPR is pending. So just to cover his bases, yes gf is SPR. There was one case here too , gf is SPR but bf comes to apply. so gf ask MOM and got it in writing to go ahead with marriage. Just to make sure not to fall into any pitfall

But still not a legal requirement in respect of Singapore Law. If a person feels they need to get clarification from MOM they will do. Someone on a 30 day SVP can even get married without the need of any permission from a Singapore Government body.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 9:27 am

Saint wrote:Someone on a 30 day SVP can even get married without the need of any permission from a Singapore Government body.

Not necessarily true. If that person on the SVP had EVER worked in Singapore in the past on a WP, they still need the written permission from MOM. That's the problem my Nephew has faced for the past 3 years.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 9:33 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Saint wrote:Someone on a 30 day SVP can even get married without the need of any permission from a Singapore Government body.

Not necessarily true. If that person on the SVP had EVER worked in Singapore in the past on a WP, they still need the written permission from MOM. That's the problem my Nephew has faced for the past 3 years.

Ok, meant to say a bog standard tourist on a 30 day SVP

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 9:43 am

Nothing to prevent to get married legally but in some cases there are consequences of doing this. Nothing to prevent from renouncing citizenship but then unlikely you will ever get it back. Things like this. One way ticket.
Last edited by x9200 on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.