Singapore Expats Forum

Foreign Student to Work in SG after graduation. EPEC?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
NhyCjy

Foreign Student to Work in SG after graduation. EPEC?

Postby NhyCjy » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:23 am

Hi all,
I am a foreigner under a double M.A.degree programme with a local institution NUS and my country's institution PKU. I am planning to work in SG after my graduation.
I would like to know whether I need to apply for EPEC so I can apply for LTVP for purpose of employment or I do not need to do so.
I still have a valid SG student pass and can enter and leave Singapore.
Thanks for reading.

nakatago

Re: Foreign Student to Work in SG after graduation. EPEC?

Postby nakatago » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:30 am

NhyCjy wrote:Hi all,
I am a foreigner under a double M.A.degree programme with a local institution NUS and my country's institution PKU. I am planning to work in SG after my graduation.
I would like to know whether I need to apply for EPEC so I can apply for LTVP for purpose of employment or I do not need to do so.
Thanks for reading.

The EPEC is optional; it only gives you a one-shot, for one-year (IIRC) privilege to stay in Singapore to look for a job. No guarantees of a job or employment pass.

NhyCjy

Postby NhyCjy » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:33 pm

nakatago wrote:
Thanks for reading.

The EPEC is optional; it only gives you a one-shot, for one-year (IIRC) privilege to stay in Singapore to look for a job. No guarantees of a job or employment pass.

I know that there are no guarantees of a job/employment pass. What I am concerned with is whether a foreign student who has a degree here need EPEC to get LTVP in order to stay here to find employment.
You said that EPEC is optional, do you mean that EPEC is optional for the application of LTVP for employment purposes, hence you can apply for LTVP regardless of whether having EPEC.
My student pass will expire when i receive my conferment letter and I can't stay long in SG and I can only extend it for 2 weeks so it is too short a time to find employment.

Frankienus

Postby Frankienus » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 10:49 am

NhyCjy wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Thanks for reading.

I know that there are no guarantees of a job/employment pass. What I am concerned with is whether a foreign student who has a degree here need EPEC to get LTVP in order to stay here to find employment.
You said that EPEC is optional, do you mean that EPEC is optional for the application of LTVP for employment purposes, hence you can apply for LTVP regardless of whether having EPEC.
My student pass will expire when i receive my conferment letter and I can't stay long in SG and I can only extend it for 2 weeks so it is too short a time to find employment.

We both have the same problem.. nice question you ask...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:34 am

I believe you will need the EPEC in order to apply for the LTVP for up to one year (it's not automatically one year and can be given for as little as 3 months - at ICA's discretion). This will only happen though, if you went to an approved Tertiary Institution. Following are the institutions qualified here (The list can be found on the link for the EPEC on the MOM site...

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... tions.aspx

Digipen Institute of Technology (Singapore campus)
ESSEC (Singapore campus)
India Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB) (Singapore campus)
INSEAD (Singapore campus)
Nanyang Technological University
National University of Singapore
National University of Singapore
Singapore Management University
Singapore Institute of Management University (UniSIM)
Tisch School of Arts - New York University (NYU) (Singapore campus)
Chicago Booth School of Business
The Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Singapore - Professional Examination
S.P. Jain Center of Management, Singapore {formerly SP Jain Institute of Technology (Singapore campus)}

The list is up to date as of Friday 25 June 2010

nb123

Postby nb123 » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 6:08 pm

Hi, will add to what has been said above as I had an EPEC when I first came back here as well. So Nhycjy, it's useful to get the EPEC so you don't have to keep renewing your visa. As you rightly mentioned, after your student pass expires, you'll probably just be on a visit pass after that right? In that case you'll have to keep renewing it (every 2 weeks / other period depending on your passport I think) while you look for a job and this is really not an ideal situation

Therefore, apply for the EPEC online, which is a breeze and granted almost immediately if you're eligible, then you can be at ease while looking for a job here in Singapore, instead of worrying about residency status. Btw, not sure what LTVP is. But if you're looking for an Employment pass, then you don't need an EPEC before you apply for an Employment Pass. However, like I did, you can get your EPEC first before getting your employment pass.

Also, if your university is not in the list as given by sundaymorningstaple, don't worry, just apply anyway, my cousin was granted the EPEC despite have a masters degree from a university that wasn't in the list

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 10:49 pm

nb123 wrote:
Also, if your university is not in the list as given by sundaymorningstaple, don't worry, just apply anyway, my cousin was granted the EPEC despite have a masters degree from a university that wasn't in the list

Was your masters degree obtained in Singapore? If it was not, then I would suggest you go back and read the thread more carefully. If it was obtained in Singapore, let us all know as currently the list I furnished was from the MOM site and they may have added additional schools/degrees since that page was put up. The poster was referring to schools in Singapore that would qualify for the EPEC, not outside of Singapore (there are hundreds).

sm

nb123

Postby nb123 » Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:31 pm

Hi Sundaymorningstaple, no need to bite :-) - I was just providing the information in this thread for everyone's reference. I did notice that nhycjy's MA was from NUS.

And please read my post carefully, I never mentioned I got a masters degree in Singapore. Was just trying to be helpful

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 6:07 am

nb123 wrote:Hi Sundaymorningstaple, no need to bite :-)

SMS bite ??? Nah!!! he licks and gulped !! :lol:
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 16 Jul 2010 9:22 am

nb123 wrote:Hi Sundaymorningstaple, no need to bite :-) - I was just providing the information in this thread for everyone's reference. I did notice that nhycjy's MA was from NUS.

And please read my post carefully, I never mentioned I got a masters degree in Singapore. Was just trying to be helpful

I usually don't bother to bite, I just inhale! :P

Anyway, my other response was typed incorrectly as I was actually asking about your cousin's masters by forgot to type the word cousin after "your" (sometimes my mind, slow as it is, is still faster than my typing). :oops: