Singapore Expats Forum

The chance to get S-Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 2:05 pm

I.e. if you are able to train very well in Bahasa Indonesia, then it's valuable.

Many people may know how to speak the language, but not everyone can train well. I.e. be sure there is learning, transfer of learnign to the workplace, evaluation, etc.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 3:34 pm

Yes but... you can tell the same almost about any single subject being taught so the skill set lays within the teaching not B-I. This is the official language of Indonesia a very very big neighbour of Singapore so there is probably zillion ppl with such skill and many of them are already residing in SG being SPR or SC. Dunno, but this line of arguments sounds to me like anybody from any surrounding country could use it because either this is a foreign language to SG or even with the official languages hardly nobody speaks it right here.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 6:03 pm

SMS:If you want to know the truth, you will be lucky to get 1800/mo. (If you get that S-pass in the first place). And, yes, I know that the minimum is 1,800/mo. I'll say no more, but I know how the local SMEs operate here.

Normally I would tend to agree with SMS, though the quality of applicants and employment positioning is of great importance, we started one on 1800 plus commission, its not easy to get good people with commonsense, what we look for is the ability to grow with the company, otherwise these employees are just a waste of time, cheap labour is no good for us, when we are delivering a quality service, probation period is a must.

Get your foot in the door first is the best, you will not have great difficulty finding employment in sales and marketing especially into Malaysia, and Indonesia and surrounding areas, the more dialects the better. Though like you say, your performance is relevant.

You can PM your CV if you like! We are also interested in Indonesian market, in case you do not settle in your new position.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 7:25 am

irvine wrote:I.e. if you are able to train very well in Bahasa Indonesia, then it's valuable.

Many people may know how to speak the language, but not everyone can train well. I.e. be sure there is learning, transfer of learnign to the workplace, evaluation, etc.

:???: :???: :???: I failed to understand the relevance of your comment. This is NOT rocket science which I will agree with you wholeheartedly
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:42 am

Someone was saying there are many Bahasa Indonesia speakers here in Singapore, that I agree. However, to be able to train well in the language is another issue.

Just like, many people know how to speak English. But not everyone can train well in the English language.

Hence, if OP is very good in training using B.I., then s/he may be worth more.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 7:04 am

irvine wrote:Someone was saying there are many Bahasa Indonesia speakers here in Singapore, that I agree. However, to be able to train well in the language is another issue.

Just like, many people know how to speak English. But not everyone can train well in the English language.

Hence, if OP is very good in training using B.I., then s/he may be worth more.

That someone is me. You do not have to go around and reply in "a third person" conversation. I agree with what you say if the OP is a linguist or language as a profession. Not to offend OP , but OP background is a teacher/trainer . Read OP post. Moreover the salary that OP is being offered does not reflect it true market value if OP is "trained" in BI , hence my comment "rare talent". There are many here in BI including myself who train and guide my staffs in BI as such I do not see it as a rare talent . It is more of a necessity . I do not dare to say myself train in BI although I am half Indo , Portugese, Chinese , Thai into one. My speaking and writing in these few language just pass the passing mark. However I will survive in this complex world.
FYI I speak or write in Arabic, Jawi, Japanese, Hokkien, Thai and German too. Can I count myself as rare talent.? I doubt so, just enough to get by.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!