Singapore Expats Forum

The chance to get S-Pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
smiley_smiling

The chance to get S-Pass

Postby smiley_smiling » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 9:31 am

Hi all..

I'm Chinese Indonesian. I got a job offer from SG employer as a trainer. This position requires particular skill : Bahasa Indonesia.

They asked me to scan my passport n education certificates and email it to them. My passport is in progress. They will apply S-Pass for me

I'm holding S1 degree from a well-known university in Indonesia and have 3 year experience as teacher/trainer

I'm nervous about my chance to get S-Pass... I'm eager to work there.

What do u think ? Will it approved by MOM ?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 9:38 am

No way of knowing. How long is a piece of string?

There is a good possibility but at the same time don't quote me on it.

smiley_smiling

Postby smiley_smiling » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 9:43 am

desperately want to live and work in SG...

They offer me $1800 ...the minimum requirement to apply for S-Pass

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carlsum1986 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:31 am

smiley_smiling wrote:desperately want to live and work in SG...

They offer me $1800 ...the minimum requirement to apply for S-Pass

is it by any chance this job is in bukit batok..seems very familiar...

smiley_smiling

Postby smiley_smiling » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:56 am

it isn't in bukit batok :)

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 1:42 pm

Even if you didn't get the S-Pass this time, please move on.

Just my opinion, $1800 trainer job with Bahasa Indonesia skill is a little low. You may check how much more that's worth. But again, that's just my opinion.

observer
Regular
Regular

Postby observer » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 1:51 pm

I don't understand why there so many of these type of posts. What good is it to know one way or the other from random forumers about your chances? Are you going to move here ahead of time because a forumer says your chances are good? Or are you going to reject the job because a forumer says your chance are slim? It makes no sense to me.

Just be patient for the result.

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Postby carlsum1986 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:28 pm

I think u will get the s pass as u may have read from many forum postings that MOM has one criteria that they check before handing out S Pass is that they try to see if your position can be filled by local talents...Obviously it would be rare to find a local talent with bahasa indonesia skills....well 1800 for a salary is a bit on the low end as there are other similar trainer jobs offering 2300-2500 a month for people who know bahasa indonesia...

smiley_smiling

Postby smiley_smiling » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:49 pm

irvine wrote:Even if you didn't get the S-Pass this time, please move on.

Just my opinion, $1800 trainer job with Bahasa Indonesia skill is a little low. You may check how much more that's worth. But again, that's just my opinion.

Currently, I'm still working in Indo as Accounting Staff
Still waiting for my S-pass before submitting my resignation letter to my current employer.

About the salary offered.. in my opinion, it's no problem..because I realize that I must show my best performance to them before asking for the raise. I'm willing to learn and to start from the bottom

smiley_smiling

Postby smiley_smiling » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 3:58 pm

observer wrote:I don't understand why there so many of these type of posts. What good is it to know one way or the other from random forumers about your chances? Are you going to move here ahead of time because a forumer says your chances are good? Or are you going to reject the job because a forumer says your chance are slim? It makes no sense to me.

Just be patient for the result.

Thx.. :D Just want to hear opinion from members here.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 4:21 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:Obviously it would be rare to find a local talent with bahasa indonesia skills....well 1800 for a salary is a bit on the low end as there are other similar trainer jobs offering 2300-2500 a month for people who know bahasa indonesia...

':roll:'':shock:'
And where did you hear this from "rare talent" ? The Malay Language in Singapore is Based on Bahasa Indonesia FYI. The only difference is some of the vocab is meant for different things. The Malay language is a combination of Malay and Bahasa Indonesia. So you get the best of both world
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

smiley_smiling

Postby smiley_smiling » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 5:31 pm

carlsum1986 wrote:I think u will get the s pass as u may have read from many forum postings that MOM has one criteria that they check before handing out S Pass is that they try to see if your position can be filled by local talents...Obviously it would be rare to find a local talent with bahasa indonesia skills....well 1800 for a salary is a bit on the low end as there are other similar trainer jobs offering 2300-2500 a month for people who know bahasa indonesia...

thx for your info. 1800 as a starting salary is no problem for me. Of course I will ask for the raise after showing my best performance :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 5:50 pm

If you want to know the truth, you will be lucky to get 1800/mo. (If you get that S-pass in the first place). And, yes, I know that the minimum is 1,800/mo. I'll say no more, but I know how the local SMEs operate here.

Facts be know, there are a hell of a lot of Indonesian Chinese here in Singapore. Most are coming over with Landed PR and taking jobs as accountants or jr. accountants and working for 1400/mo. I've had several work for me as well. Also, do you have any idea of the numbers of Indonesian Chinese that go to the Universities here in Singapore? And up till this past year, most were offered PR upon graduation if they wanted it.

KittyJules76

Postby KittyJules76 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 6:10 pm

Well you can ask something like if the company have probation period, negotiate with them first the salary you want after your probation (if they satisfy with your performance).

Otherwise it will be like my boss said "Jules I know you work really hard and of course we are more than satisfied with your performance. However the economy is still down and sale is also slow so I promise you next year". That was last year words. This year economy is picking up but still slow ..ya da ya da ya da...so may be end of this year? :shock:

x9200

Postby x9200 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 6:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:Obviously it would be rare to find a local talent with bahasa indonesia skills....well 1800 for a salary is a bit on the low end as there are other similar trainer jobs offering 2300-2500 a month for people who know bahasa indonesia...

':roll:'':shock:'
And where did you hear this from "rare talent" ? The Malay Language in Singapore is Based on Bahasa Indonesia FYI. The only difference is some of the vocab is meant for different things. The Malay language is a combination of Malay and Bahasa Indonesia. So you get the best of both world

Thank you MS. After reading few initial posts this is a question I wanted to ask but thought that perhaps I did not get something...what is so unique to be a trainer and know Bahasa Indonesia.