Singapore Expats Forum

This coming Friday - Night out, have a little fun?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
tonny13

This coming Friday - Night out, have a little fun?

Postby tonny13 » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 4:16 pm

Am a Danish (20) guy living in Spore atm and thought it would be good to organize a night out with some expats that are interested!

Pretty new to this forum even though I've lived here for some time, but figured it'd be a good way to get some people together for a fun night out at w/e pubs/clubs/bars we like.
Both gents and ladies are welcome so if you and/or your friends are interested please do chuck in a reply!
It can be a bit difficult to just "go" out and meet people straight away if your new here, so for the newcommers as well, just jump on the wagon and see what you think :D

Personally, I have some areas/venues I've been to that I think are okay settings for a good night out: Zouk area, Attica, Circa, China One?
Just a few that leaped to mind and if you have some yourself don't hesitate to shout out.

So this topic is open for suggestions of venues we could hit! :twisted:

If you need further details or anything just PM me.

naughtbutwyn

Postby naughtbutwyn » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:09 pm

Hi! I'm a 22 year-old gal who just got back to Singapore after studying in Australia. While technically Singaporean, I probably know less of Singapore than most expats. For example, I have heard of those places which you mentioned, but I have no idea where they are (and I'm also guessing they are clubs, but I could be wrong). :oops: I guess that's what happens when you turn legal away from home. I hope you don't mind if I tag along, though I'm not really an expat.

Having just started working and not having many friends here, I'm in dire need of a social life, so I'm fine with wherever you decide to go. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:42 pm

Why don't you just attend the FNDC? That's what it's been doing for the past 6 years! That's a very good start.

tonny13

Postby tonny13 » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 9:11 pm

@sundaymorningstaple:

Well I just figured I'd try this out instead hehe, where is the FNDC going this weekend (presuming they are going somewhere)? :-|

@naughtbutwyn:

Lucky you, getting to spend that much time in Australia! Going there myself in a few months for the first time to visit a mate :)
Yeah most of them are clubs seeing as I don't know that many great bars around hehe (was why I was open for suggestions!). But yeah your welcome to join and hope others decide to as well, we will see :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:16 pm

Did you bother to read any of the current threads in the FNDC sub-forum? The new venue for this coming Friday is already posted. :roll:

tonny13

Postby tonny13 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 1:20 am

@sundaymorningstaple:

Nah to be honest not really :) Just me personally, not fancying a massive get together, which is why I started this as an alternative. Maybe some would like a small group of people (say 5-10 people w/e) to go out with hehe. At least that's what I had in mind! :roll:

naughtbutwyn

Postby naughtbutwyn » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 8:42 am

I kind of agree with tonny13. Massive gatherings aren't really my cup of tea. Also, I don't really drink much, I mostly go to clubs and stuff for the dancing and (if you can hear yourself over the music) the conversation. Otherwise, just hanging out with someone other than yourself is always cool. :D

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:18 am

naughtbutwyn wrote:I kind of agree with tonny13. Massive gatherings aren't really my cup of tea. Also, I don't really drink much, I mostly go to clubs and stuff for the dancing and (if you can hear yourself over the music) the conversation. Otherwise, just hanging out with someone other than yourself is always cool. :D

The thing is, a lot of people post duplicate stuff. Nothing against OP but it would greatly help if a call for a gathering is enticing and distinct enough from all the others.

We have so many posts here that go: "hey, I'm new here and thought I'd like to have a night out." Then a hundred people would reply with: "Love to join you. Please email me..." And nothing happens with these threads except take up space and provide e-mail addresses for spammers. Some groups have been successfully formed (Culture X, Lady Expats, International Young Adults, "Any Singles?") but these are the exceptions rather than the rules.

So, just a clarification, if you're inviting people (esp. strangers), please do take some effort to make your event worthwhile and stand out (and give the impression that you've exhausted the existing threads already). If you do it correctly, the regulars, the mods or even the cranky, curmudgeon, "damn-noisy-kids-GET-OFF-MY-LAWN" SMS won't sass on you.

rjh512

Postby rjh512 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 4:33 pm

Hey Tonny13, I'd be interested in meeting up on Friday. I'm 20 and from the US and just got here 2 weeks ago. havent posted enough to be able to pm but my email is ryanhelfrich17@gmail.com

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 5:52 pm

:tongue: :lol: :wave:

tonny13

Postby tonny13 » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 7:03 pm

@Nakatago:

Before you post this reply, saying that my topic could be taking up space etc. Please do let it stay on for some days to see if this gathering could turn into something? And if nothing happens, you can start saying I didn't put enough effort into it.

Your reply poses to me as pretty negative and after friday or w/e a moderator can delete this topic (?) if it's too much hassle to have it here.

:-|

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 7:22 pm

tonny13 wrote:@Nakatago:

Before you post this reply, saying that my topic could be taking up space etc. Please do let it stay on for some days to see if this gathering could turn into something? And if nothing happens, you can start saying I didn't put enough effort into it.

Your reply poses to me as pretty negative and after friday or w/e a moderator can delete this topic (?) if it's too much hassle to have it here.

:-|

If you read through my post carefully, I didn't direct any negativity at you. I said that most people duplicate stuff. Yours sounded like one at the onset but a clarification on your part was needed, which was affirmed later by naughtybutwyn.

I only explained what's the problem with most people's posts when they want to have a night out, as most regulars have probably observed. Your initial post was open-ended and very similar to the FNDC gatherings: you either want something different (which wasn't apparent) or ignore the FNDC postings. Drive-by posters here usually are the latter.

If you took offense at what I said, sorry, but it's also not my problem since I was just giving constructive criticism.

tonny13

Postby tonny13 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:09 am

Perhaps I misinterpreted your objective then.

It seemed rather hasty though posting that, perhaps you could've waited a day or two. It's just a small (that's how it differs from FNDC etc) gathering of people, or at least I would like it to be, that are going out together. Also it was directed at people who perhaps just have arrived or are looking for social activities but not a big fan of massive gatherings.

However before assessing my efforts and deciding whether anything will happen as to the event itself, lets just see after the weekend. If nothing has taken place you are in your right mind to say what you did in your first reply.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:52 am

Frankly, you did start out exactly like the last 763 newbies here who wanted to have a get together. Probably 761 of them flopped. It's much easier as the FNDC isn't 50 or a 100 people but a small grouping usually of no more than 20 and usually less than that. And if a number of regulars are there, then it usually makes the newbies easier to assimilate as everybody isn't wary of everybody else as there are usually known quantities there.

But we were only trying to help you out the confirmed easiest way (FNDC was actually responsible for a wedding between two regulars here a number of years ago). But, please, nobody is stopping you from trying to organize something. Wish you luck. :wink:

sms

tonny13

Postby tonny13 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 3:35 pm

Sigh, might as well sod this. It's gone from get2gether to a debate which I find unnecessary.

Go with the FNDC w/e.