Singapore Expats Forum

Will my wife-to-be PR be approved?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
quarkz

Will my wife-to-be PR be approved?

Postby quarkz » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:17 am

Hi,

I've been working in Taiwan for 1 yr, where I met my wife-to-be. We're going to get married soon. However, after that I should be going to Europe for maybe a yr for work, with her following me.

We'll be in Singapore for a while after we register our marriage and I'm thinking of applying PR for her.

Is there any chance of it being approved? It seems that nowadays, it's much harder to get PR.

We're thinking of coming back to Singapore after 1 yr and by the time we're back, she'll be a PR already.

Thanks!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 12:23 pm

Do not bother to apply for PR now, it is a complete waste of time.

LTSVP is the first step if you intend to stay put here, then go from there

It may take longer that you expected especially you are working overseas and have not set your roots here
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

quarkz

Postby quarkz » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 4:43 pm

Btw, I forgot to mention that I'm a singaporean and I'm born here. Have been living in Singapore until last year. Wonder if that helps.

Also is there a point to apply for the LTVP now since we'll be going to stay in Europe for a year?

Thanks

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:53 pm

The big question is why do you want permanent RESIDENCE status when you won't even be living here?

I don't get this. PR gives a right of legal abode not offered to a standard EP... the ability to remain without a job. Yet you don't even plan on living here in the next year.

If I was ICA, I'd be laughing as I put your application in file 13.

Try it when you're actually ready to live here.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 6:06 pm

OP

PR can only be applied after you have been living here for sometime. On the average it ranges from 2 to 5 yrs living here. Most of them will be on LTSVP prior to application.
If you not living here, working here and having your family here, you would not possibly get it . Even LTSVP will be impossible.
ICA will view your case as marriage of convenience, tax not paid in SG, newly married etc as their contentions to deny you though they may not state it specifically.
To be PR in SG is a privilege not a right under the constitution. You have the right to be a citizen of Singapore if you are born here but you are not automatically a citizen of SG if you are born overseas from a SG parent hence it becomes a privilege to apply to be a Sger by descent
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 8:46 am

Mad Scientist wrote:OP

PR can only be applied after you have been living here for sometime. On the average it ranges from 2 to 5 yrs living here. Most of them will be on LTSVP prior to application.

Not neccessarily

If you not living here, working here and having your family here, you would not possibly get it . Even LTSVP will be impossible.

Not neccessarily

ICA will view your case as marriage of convenience, tax not paid in SG, newly married etc as their contentions to deny you though they may not state it specifically.

Would agree, you'll need to convince the ICA that this isn't just a marriage of convenience so give it at least a couple of years, probably longer to be safe.

To be PR in SG is a privilege not a right under the constitution. You have the right to be a citizen of Singapore if you are born here but you are not automatically a citizen of SG if you are born overseas from a SG parent hence it becomes a privilege to apply to be a Sger by descent

quarkz

Postby quarkz » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 11:01 am

Hi thanks everyone.

I was a little confused. thanks for the clarification

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:23 am

quarkz wrote:Hi thanks everyone.

I was a little confused. thanks for the clarification
Culture shock for wife :roll: integrate her slowly