Singapore Expats Forum

French resistance remembered.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

French resistance remembered.

Postby ozchick » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 7:18 pm

Watched this on BBC tonight and its related references to the Nazis.
It's great that such things are commemorated. But I feel so terribly sorry for the German people, when they already have had to carry the burden of their country's awful history for so many years. I know a lot of German people, wonderful people, and I feel for them when publicity throws it back at them time and time again. And I know it's not thrown at them personally. I'm not saying that atrocities are best forgotten it's just ....I don't know.....so damned continual in some form or other....... :cry:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:20 pm

yeah, dont mention the war to the german. oh... and also how serbia beat them in the world cup! :P :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:24 pm

Don't the Japanese have the same problem?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:41 pm

Just imagine, Had Germany and Japan won the world war, what would have happened. Probably, I would be writing in either Japanese or German now :lol:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:18 pm

So let's say, the Germans now rule the world. The trolls we get here would be like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSbh2MsxdNs

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:19 pm

durain wrote:yeah, dont mention the war to the german. oh... and also how serbia beat them in the world cup! :P :D

Shhhh! Vaucluse may go ballistic :lol:

revhappy wrote: Just imagine, Had Germany and Japan won the world war, what would have happened. Probably, I would be writing in either Japanese or German now.

Well, most likely .My Dad was forced like others to learn Japanese during the Japanese occupation .Their drilling was so good that he still understands it till today :P

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:28 pm

how about the communist resistance in malaysia? will they be remembered too?

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 7:53 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Don't the Japanese have the same problem?

Yes sms. Same problem. My uncle, a very elderly man in country NSW back home refuses to be where Japanese people are present. He recently reported to the family how he walked out when half way through his fish and chip order because some Japanese people had come into the shop. Knowing him he may well have said "I'll come back in when these people have left"
Sigh ..........the thing is that he wouldn't know a Japanese citizen from any other Asian citizen!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 10:49 am

Dare to say this is more political issue than something what affects real people. Do you feel personally guilty hearing any stories from the past about different kinds of discrimination, well, often extermination of Africans, Aborigines, American Indians? Not a long time ago, right? You must hear such stories frequently. Perhaps the burden in case of Germany is somehow higher but it is not that small neither for majority of the developed countries.