Singapore Expats Forum

Kerry vs Busy Celebrity Circus

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Concerned Voter

Kerry vs Busy Celebrity Circus

Postby Concerned Voter » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 9:15 am

Although I am a firm believer in freedom of speech and appreciate the freedoms Americans experience in their own homeland (even though some pervert their freedoms by disgracing their Country with flag burnings, none-the-less, I find it hard to swallow when celebrities start trying to push their candidate of choice down my throat, and expect me to open wide and swallow because, hey, well...they are a celebrity.

I do agree they are entitled to their opinion and of course their vote, (great thing: votes are equal, whether they come from a star or a garbage collector, doesn't matter) but to suddenly be an expert on politics just because you can rap, act, draw or whatever is the most ludicrious thought. And yet, many of these celebrities see themselves in that light and throw their views out there like we, (the general public) should suddenly cheer and of course committ our mindset to theirs. Embrace my beliefs because after all, I can rap about beating my wife, doing drugs and oh yeah, the world in general. I'm rich now so even if you would have never considered me back at the trailer park, I am now qualified to advise Americans on how they should vote.

Personally, the only eminims I will be purchasing in the future will be the green ones (with or without nuts--but it will be my choice). And in case you are wondering, Dixie Chicks Who? Punked will not be seen on my wide screen nor will I patronize any film that Ashton Kutcher stars in...Bruce Springsteen is a has been anyway, does he ever produce music anymore? And it's not because I favor one candidate over another it is simply this:

It is a disgusting display of abuse of celebrity recognition and manipulation of the less intelligent general public. Unethical and unprofessional and what is so amazing is that these people have such HUGE egos that they never consider the fact that it could actually hurt their own careers, they believe they are untouchable and God like and if anything is good enough for them it most certainly should be good enough for the common people.

They live their lives their way and enjoy the riches and priveleges most will not ever know, great! But don't try to sit there and dictate how I (member of the general public should vote)--what would be much more impressive is to put your money and efforts where your mouth is by making donations to Iraq's rebuilding, donations to the parentless children of 9/11, actually get your hands dirty and volunteer to help instead of standing around spouting off at the mouth...hmm...I guess you are only interested in politics that require minimal efforts.

I saw this quote in a newspaper today addressing the influx of celebrities in the 2004/05 Election and it goes:

When asked why they were bringing so many celebrities on-stage with Kerry during his speeches:

"Have some fun, add to the great energy, excitement and momentum that surrounds this campaign right now," said Mark Kornblau, an Edwards spokesman. So with our Country at stake, does the Circus ringleader really put YOU at ease? Not me. Is this a game of fun...hmmm...a Country at war but big time political represenatives have the nerve to blow it off and have a little fun, know why? Because it isn't reality for them, they aren't living in the same world as the common people, they are removed from normal reality and enjoy a more celebrated existance obviously...

Final thought:

While I will not push my candidate of choice on you...I certainly won't have an uneducated, trailer park gangster like Eminmen who spreads hate for women, gays and most anyone wiith morals, (I thought the candidate he endorses--Kerry is for homosexual rights so I can't understand how Eminem goes public with his endorsements)?

Thank goodness the election is almost here and gone, at least it will be over and we will have whoever it is we will have but at least the circus will have ended and the clowns departed and if Kerry is in the white house they can all put on their serious masks and pretend to care about the state of our world while the camera's are on and do flips behind the scenes and turn our Country into a reality freak show. God help us all.

ChickyBaka

Closed minded

Postby ChickyBaka » Tue, 02 Nov 2004 2:50 pm

There is so much I could respond to..... I try and keep it brief.

1. Why are politics involving celebrities? Duh the same reason the Gap is...... MARKETING!!! The same reason advertising uses pictures of beautiful people because the simple fact it that for some reason the general American population listens to them. Welcome to our world.

2. I have a hard time listening to you complain about musicians expressing their political view, ummm it may be Eminem or the Dixie Chicks, people have given them enough shit for using the their 1st amendment right. And if they want to use their popularity to try and help a cause, good for them. I'm more scared by the people who don't care.

3. Music like paintings or photography is art just because a photographer my take a picture of a dead baby in a starving country doesn’t mean that this is their goal. Much like a singer may sings about gay bashing or beating women, it doesn’t mean that that is one of their pass times.
One of my favorite songs (by a small Texas band) is about a girl that kills an ex-boyfriend..... I think it is a great song with out having to berate the singer about the immorality of murder.

My 2 cents
B
(yes I voted) :twisted:

All the way from Texas?

Postby All the way from Texas? » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 5:33 am

LOL!

I can hear "she'll be coming round the mountail, when she comes," already.

Not to fret, the backwoods babe, I mean Hick Chick can listen to the Dixie Who and remain oblivious to the real world. Why wouldn't she share her postal code? In her mind, it's the postal codes that matter...LOL! :lol:

ChickyBaka

what are you taling about

Postby ChickyBaka » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 7:57 am

What the hell are you talking about?

Umm just because i'm "from" Texas does not mean I am oblivious to the rest of the world. I'm sure I have my eyes open to more of the world than 99% of it's population. If you actually have have something to comment on towards the topics I'll listen, but if you are just going to try to take cheap shots at me by making inaccurate statements on who you think I am..... Grow up.
And what's this about postal codes?

Listen Hick Chick

Postby Listen Hick Chick » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 8:21 am

Get a Clue! You did not even read the OP accurately. YOU probably should spend your time vegging out with the Dixie CHicks, I think they speak your language (in a way that you can U N D E R S T A N D). Ws that slow enough for you?

And just what makes you think anyone cares where you are from, where you currently live or what you think? Just post your thoughts and get on with your life, no make assumptions that you are important... :twisted:

ChickyBaka

Closed minded

Postby ChickyBaka » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:27 am

Dear "guest" I would PM you but you left no address.
You DID seem to mind where I'm from. The whole concept behind this site is that we are from many different places and that becomes much of who we are.
What is your problem with me? I mean your actual problem with me. You seem to have issues with something that has nothing to do with me. I was just trying to offer someone my side of things and you enjoy just being rude. One, I don't listen to the Dixie Chicks but was commenting on how much of the USA gave them a hard time after they made comments while on tour in London about how they may be from Texas but did not support Bush.
I believe the original subject of this post was why are celebs becoming so involved in politics. I'll stick with that. If you want to go off on some sort of bigotry towards anyone that happens to be from texas or like a certian type of music, save it for Jerry Springer....... I'm not in to those small minded arguments.

Singers have to live in the same would we do and have evey right to try to create change where they see it is needed. Some may not go about it the right way but as I said befor I'm glad to see them at least trying.

Unfortunately now after alot of work (by famous and non-famous alike) to try and create change we are stuck with another 4 years of embarrassment. So much of the circus is over.

I don't feel the need to hide who I am. I don't attack people based on where they are from. I'm sorry you do.

Best of luck
b

To the Above Poster

Postby To the Above Poster » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:02 am

I think what the other poster was stating is that it is highly unusual for users to list their physical address on these forums (not that it matters, I guess, it really wouldn't matter) or be of any relevance.

I do however have to disagree with you on a few points, just expressing my freedoms now:

I also understand that celebrities are entitled to their opinions, and that having celebrities endorse your campaign is definitely a marketing scheme as you've said, but it almost takes credibility away from a candidate who over uses this tool and one would begin to wonder, why not just address the issues rather than focus so heavily on your marketing.

For me, the direct, simpleton method is the best. And I also did not find the celebrities who did come out in support of Kerry to be impressive, not that their appearance affected my vote in anyway, it did not.

And you also state, that celebrities who come out are simply using "their popularity to try and help a cause" I would agree with you if they were speaking out for HIV awareness, Cancer, or any other legitimate cause.

However using their stardom to manipulate the American people could hardly be volunteering for a cause and just to point another fact out that is perhaps not that well known:

Most of President Bush's campaign centers were manned by volunteers, Kerry's on the other hand were hired help. Not that it matters. I feel for Mr. Kerry and the Democratic supporters for their disappointment and I think in another 4 years Mr. Kerry should try again, the timing is just all wrong right now.

ChickyBaka

Thanks

Postby ChickyBaka » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 3:18 pm

Thank you for posting an educated response!
I agree that a platform that focused on the topics would work best for me too. I think that the campagins where just trying to reach a younger crowd and know how hard it is (sadly enough) to get younger voters just to sit down and listen to the issues.
b.

Oh and if anyone else cares I posted my location because of another post I did trying to find a training partner and was wanting to find someone who lives close to me.