Singapore Expats Forum

Advice/Experiences?

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
brendon_wilkinson

Advice/Experiences?

Postby brendon_wilkinson » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:03 am

I will arrive on the 1st July to start my 12 month contract with my company in Singapore. Having been to Singapore twice before I know a bit about what to expect however it will be my first working/living experience in Asia so I'm excited/nervous.

I am going to look for a place stay for a week or so when I first arrive so I can find somewhere more permanant to live. I am posting this in the 20's club forum as I am 23 and kinda hoping that the people here might be able to relate better when giving advice about the best area to live so I know where to start. It seems like a lot of the people I talk to are a bit older, on higher income packages or have family so while I appreciate there advice, they are looking for different things to me.

In Australia I live in Surry Hills (for those who've been to Sydney) so I am looking for a similar kind of area, young people, restaurants, cafes, bars, accessible to the city. Not sure if there is somewhere like this in Singapore but if there is please let me know. I am kind of leaning towards the East Coast just because I am trying to get into kiteboarding and it seems to be the best area for it.

If anyone has some advice for me i'd really appreciate it. Also if you can maybe share some of your experiences in different areas it would be good. If there's anyone who's looking for the same thing maybe we can team up and try to find a place...

mungbeans

Postby mungbeans » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:47 am

hey brendon, it all depends on your budget. living in the city area might be the best choice but the rent are pretty high and the space of the apartment might be slightly smaller, especially in the newer condos. proximity to MRT stations are a factor as well. i suggest you try finding apartments near your workplace so it's easier for you to commute to work. then i also suggest to get a roommate or two to share rent.

naughtbutwyn

Postby naughtbutwyn » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:54 pm

Hi Brendon. I agree with mungbeans. Proximity to MRT stations is probably the most important factor since it's (probably) the fastest way to travel. Also to note, if you're taking a company shuttle bus in the morning, there are probably set locations and/or times you have to catch the bus. Regarding East Coast, I heard that they've developed West Coast so that it's similar and has the same facilities (but less people). I'm not too sure though, so it's best to check with people who go there often.

ilws

Re: Advice/Experiences?

Postby ilws » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 1:18 pm

brendon_wilkinson wrote:I am kind of leaning towards the East Coast just because I am trying to get into kiteboarding and it seems to be the best area for it.

Hey Brendon, in Singapore it's pretty easy to get around, so you don't really need to stay near East Coast to get into kiteboarding, although it would help to know when the wind blows, as that's not very often here.

However, East Coast is not really the best place to learn as there are many trees just off the narrow beach and I've seen and heard of people whose kites get stuck in the trees. Usually they learn in Bintan/Bali/Phuket first, before kiting here. There is a small kiting community who gather at either Mana Mana Beach Club, or Water Venture East Coast every weekend. 2 or 3 of the guys teach as well & both places have pro shops that sell the equipment too. Hope that helps!

brendon_wilkinson

Postby brendon_wilkinson » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 9:42 am

Thanks for the responses. Really appreciate it. I have booked accommodation for a few days when I arrive so I guess I'll see whats available when I get there.

dojob1234

Postby dojob1234 » Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:23 pm

Do let us know if you need any further advice/help...
I believe people in here are more willing to help =)

majormajormajor

Postby majormajormajor » Sat, 03 Jul 2010 8:05 pm

hello mate.

i'm in the same boat. think i'm going to be looking for a place to live in the next couple of weeks as it looks like my company wants me to be here for a year too... at the moment i'm sleeping at my dad's (he's been here a couple of years, funnily enough). despite the free rent, there's only so long you can live with your old man... so keen to get out soonish.

this stupid message board won't me pm you as i haven't made enough posts or something. but anyway my thinking is it could be cool round up a few expats in the same situation to find a place to share or something if people are interested? about me? i've just turned 28, i'm australian but i've been in london for four years and a bit of a nomad before then. so i've not lived in melbourne properly for years and years. into bars, keeping fit, travel, rock'n'roll, gigs, good music and good films...

either way it's time to make some friends, i know nobody here and all the people in my office are older and local, so not so much into the binge drinking/sightseeing/hanging out sort of thing. i'm on stephen dot constantine at ipc dot com (facebook is on that e-mail too).