Singapore Expats Forum

better than sex coffee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

better than sex coffee

Postby Splatted » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:57 pm

I'm interested to find the very best coffee in Singapore. ie cafe or restaurant that serves insanely great coffee.

It MUST be better than starbucks or it doesn't count!

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:03 pm

coffee o kopi?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:14 pm

hehe.. no, not kopi. Not that there's anything wrong with kopi

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:24 am

Its all relative, we stopped for a nice coffee at that cafe in the middle of Tanglin mall on the ground floor, (some say its one of the best coffee /cake joints) Our helper thought the coffee was horrible and much rather have her nescafe 3-1.

The loewen (sp) garden Pantry does nice coffee as well.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 1:05 pm

QRM wrote:Its all relative, we stopped for a nice coffee at that cafe in the middle of Tanglin mall on the ground floor, (some say its one of the best coffee /cake joints) Our helper thought the coffee was horrible and much rather have her nescafe 3-1.

The loewen (sp) garden Pantry does nice coffee as well.

Nescafe. Gag me.

I haven't yet found one place that I like. I used to swear by sbux at home, but I've found they don't keep the same strict brewing/freshness practices here, probably because no one knows enough about good coffee to demand it. I buy sbux beans and brew at home. It's the best I can do.
What are you used to? Do you have preferences re: growing region, brewing method, roast? Do you take your coffee black or dress it up?

I personally think purchasing a grinder and french press are worth the money and effort it takes to brew your own at home. Maybe there are some shops out there that offer french press on the menu? Starbucks does in North America, but I haven't asked for it here, so I don't know yet. Maybe I'll try that today and report back to you.

Good luck!

Update:

I went to a couple Starbucks yesterday: the lower level at Vivo City and the one in Harbourfront Centre. The first one agreed to make me a french press, but only of the coffee of the day (which happened to be Komodo Dragon, an Asia-Pacific blend I am not particularly keen on) and refused to let me choose a different bean, so I left. The second one had a girl who was a little confused about what I wanted at first, but she went and asked her manager for help, who graciously said I could choose whatever beans I wanted from the display (I chose my favourite, Organic Shade Grown Mexico) and made me a delicious 32oz french press. This, plus a donut came to $8.80, which is rather steep, but it is enough coffee for two people, and even though I was one, the coffee was good enough to pay extra for. Although it was prepared properly (appropriate grind, good proportion of coffee:water, steeped 4 minutes before the plunger was pushed) it was apparent that they don't do this often, so you may have to be a little insistent. Starbucks Co. has a "just say yes" policy where the employees are obliged to honour any reasonable request. Opening a new bag of beans to make a french press (thus leaving the rest of the beans behind unused in the store) is considered a reasonable request.

That said, ordering a french press takes time, as the barista needs a good 5 minutes or more to prepare it, but we know that good things come to those who wait :-)

To those who have a hate on for Starbucks, keep an open mind and give this a try and see how you like it!
Last edited by poodlek on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Re: better than sex coffee

Postby carteki » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 3:13 pm

Splatted wrote:better than sex coffee

are you not getting enough?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 3:39 pm

carteki wrote:

can't just get enough :P :P :P

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:46 pm

carteki wrote:

[-X
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:56 pm

He he...the ex-rooster has a nostalgia thing going with Coffeebean at H.V. even though he doesn't live within cooee of there anymore. And he pretends he doesn't see me when he's sitting there drinking his double espresso and reading the paper.
So of course just to make his day I go up to his table and crouch down and stick my head in his newspaper and with a big happy smile say, "Hullo!" :P
I can tell he really loves this! :lol:
I'd happily settle for ANY coffee over the OP's alternative right now!!
Moving countries ain't a job for the faint-hearted. Just time for livin' and breathin' and that's about it. Whoo!
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 7:55 pm

For me it's from Hediard (Tudor Court next to Tanglin mall).

ex-pat
Regular
Regular

Postby ex-pat » Wed, 30 Jun 2010 9:23 pm

Im a coffee addict... :???: