Singapore Expats Forum

To leave A/C on or not over the summer?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 7:47 pm

ozchick wrote:
nakatago wrote:@OP: just buy several of those dehumidifiers that come in those plastic canisters. They're pretty cheap in the major supermarkets. Spread them across your house where you don't want mold. When the canisters are done, you could have them recycled.

Yep these are great- 'thirsty hippos' or 'camel' , there are lots of brands around BUT you do need a couple of these in every cupboard and maybe one in each room as well. Ideally if the maid or a friend could run your AC even for an hour each week with the cupboards open that would help.
I don't use my AC much these days. I turn the bedroom one on for 30 minutes before I go to bed just to call the room down and after that it's a fan. I'm saving my pennies right now and since I've stopped using taxis and the AC I'm saving about a $700-800 a month. Mind you I feel a bit silly hanging around my apartment wearing a towelling headband. But so long as I don't tell anyone, it's all good!!! :wink:

When it's not enough, scale up! Five in every room, one in every cupboard...with enough numbers, the house will be nearly as dry as the Atacama desert... :roll:

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 9:55 pm

I keep my aircon at 27 degrees and only at night. Nowadays since it rains the room temperature itself is around 27-28 degrees. So the aircon is most of time in the cut off mode.

Thats why my utilities bill is always 80-100$.

Those of you who keep your AC on when you are away are K-I-A-S-U! :lol:

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Postby snowqueen » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 9:29 pm

I think if I left my AC units on that long my apartment will be flooded by the time I got back from all my leaking units.

I have a friend of mine who goes back for several weeks in the summer and at Christmas and they buy a load of those dehumidifier thingies and set them over the house and in the wardrobes. She seems to think it works.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 9:43 pm

snowqueen wrote:I think if I left my AC units on that long my apartment will be flooded by the time I got back from all my leaking units.

I have a friend of mine who goes back for several weeks in the summer and at Christmas and they buy a load of those dehumidifier thingies and set them over the house and in the wardrobes. She seems to think it works.

Another mod will probably need to delete this as being irrelevant, and...

Each time I see your handle, I am reminded of a song by David Allen Coe...

"They say you are a snow queen,
But I don't think that's true.
Why don't we get drunk and sc...w!"

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:19 pm

irrelevant? I was thinking more along the lines of irreverent! :cool: