Singapore Expats Forum

To leave A/C on or not over the summer?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

shugs

To leave A/C on or not over the summer?

Postby shugs » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:42 am

Hi there, I was just wondering what others do about their A/C when going on holiday.
We'll be in the UK for about 6 or 7 weeks, I'm not sure if I should leave our units on or not.
Many Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:12 am

Only if you can set it on a timer to come on for a specified length of time. Otherwise, think of the electrical bill. Or do you run it all the time already? :o

I now, pretty much, know why the earth is running out of resources. :(

shugs

Postby shugs » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:18 am

Thanks for your reply. That's the problem, we've got a timer function, but it only works once, as in I can't set it to go on and off everyday. We don't run it all day, made that mistake when we first moved in!
Guess I'll leave it off, I was just worried about mould. .
Don't get me wrong I'm very concerned with recyling and doing my part in reducing my carbon footprint and do as much as I can to save the Earth.
Leaving the A/C on was suggested to me by someone, and I just thought I'd check what other people did.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:35 am

Only use mine for sleeping! Set for 1 hr and i'm in heaven, the rest of the day in hell :lol: Having a Chinese wife doesn't help, I switch the air con on, she switches it off! Anybody made a refrigerated chair yet! I guess my body overheats as i have had heat rash 3 times in 5 years

shugs

Postby shugs » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:41 am

Now, there's an idea! You should get onto that, You could make millions!

vidya463

Postby vidya463 » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 2:30 pm

Hi Shugs,

Sorry for asking a silly question.

How on earth did you get the idea to
leave the aircon on for 6-7 weeks while you were in UK?
Keep smiling like a flower
Which never bothers about its death.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 2:43 pm

@OP: just buy several of those dehumidifiers that come in those plastic canisters. They're pretty cheap in the major supermarkets. Spread them across your house where you don't want mold. When the canisters are done, you could have them recycled.

shugs

Postby shugs » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 3:00 pm

Vidya463, One of the ladies at my son's school says she does this when she's away for the summer, she sets her units on at 25C. I had my concerns, hence I thought I'd ask what the majority of people do here, seeing as it's my first time to go back home.
Thank you for the suggesting the dehumifier thingmibobs nakatago, seems like a good idea, as I said my main worry was the mould, so that's what I'll be doing.

x9200

Re: To leave A/C on or not over the summer?

Postby x9200 » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 3:07 pm

shugs wrote:Hi there, I was just wondering what others do about their A/C when going on holiday.
We'll be in the UK for about 6 or 7 weeks, I'm not sure if I should leave our units on or not.
Many Thanks

Keep it off. Leave some windows open. Never went for 6-7 weeks away but for 2-3 weeks dozen of times and it was always ok. The disaster will happen if you have the apartment sealed. As long as there is some reasonable movement/exchange of the air from the apartment everything should be fine.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 3:17 pm

We always leave the aircon on when we go away its so the paintings/artwork, clothing and heaven forbid my wifes handbag collection :shock: etc do not get damaged by mold.

You just leave all the internal doors open in the house except bogs and kitchen, set one main air-con on dehumidify mode, TEARDROP icon on most remotes and leave it running.

If you have nice linen sheets and duvet etc dont leave them on the bed just hang them loosely over furniture so they can air out as well.

ksl wrote: Having a Chinese wife doesn't help, I switch the air con on, she switches it off! Anybody made a refrigerated chair yet!

Funny I found it the total opposite, Chinese wife/mother in law etc likes arctic like conditions, I have been colder here and Hong Kong on a day to day basis than in the UK, in the UK you are dressed for the part.

Even going boating if you go with some expats flip flop and shorts, If a Chinese asks you on his boat take a hot-water bottle and some lemsip they have the boat wall to wall tinted glass with little or no outside space and aircon on max.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:26 pm

Concur with QRM on the coldness as well as the air con setting, but was glad to see this topic come up as I was away for a month and didn't do this, to find mold growing on a lot of things.

The dehumidifier only works a room at a time so that's not a solution, but for the air con I'm concerned about the electric bill.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:39 pm

EADG wrote: The dehumidifier only works a room at a time so that's not a solution, but for the air con I'm concerned about the electric bill.

The last time I forgot to turn it on and came back to find some non removable black mold on my other half leather handbag and some shoe that is so fancy I have never heard of the designer.

Trust me the cost of getting a replacement bag and shoes far exceeds any electricity bill.

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:44 pm

nakatago wrote:@OP: just buy several of those dehumidifiers that come in those plastic canisters. They're pretty cheap in the major supermarkets. Spread them across your house where you don't want mold. When the canisters are done, you could have them recycled.

Yep these are great- 'thirsty hippos' or 'camel' , there are lots of brands around BUT you do need a couple of these in every cupboard and maybe one in each room as well. Ideally if the maid or a friend could run your AC even for an hour each week with the cupboards open that would help.
I don't use my AC much these days. I turn the bedroom one on for 30 minutes before I go to bed just to call the room down and after that it's a fan. I'm saving my pennies right now and since I've stopped using taxis and the AC I'm saving about a $700-800 a month. Mind you I feel a bit silly hanging around my apartment wearing a towelling headband. But so long as I don't tell anyone, it's all good!!! :wink:
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 5:57 pm

OZchick:Mind you I feel a bit silly hanging around my apartment wearing a towelling headband.
Mmm and i was imaging you looking cool and sexy :o

QRM yes normally i would agree, though my wife is frugal when it comes to air con, water too, though she falls asleep with the TV and light on everytime ha!

ozchick
Editor
Editor

Postby ozchick » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 7:36 pm

ksl wrote:
OZchick:Mind you I feel a bit silly hanging around my apartment wearing a towelling headband.
Mmm and i was imaging you looking cool and sexy :o

QRM yes normally i would agree, though my wife is frugal when it comes to air con, water too, though she falls asleep with the TV and light on everytime ha!

TV and lights are zilch compared to the AC. She's not silly your wife.You keep your mits off that AC remote Kayser. Now thers'a a good boy, and I'll send you one of my old towelling headbands when I leave Sing!! :P
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'