Our exlandlord has not given back the deposit

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply
morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 6:19 pm

Our exlandlord has not given back the deposit

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 5:00 pm

our landlord from hell has not given back our deposit..we have moved out because he said the apartment has been sold. since the apartment was divided into two parts (where the other part is occupied by the landlord and the family) they are moving out as well. SO we told him in advance that the day we move out we want to collect the deposit and he told us he will return it. The move out day, we were told he will give it the next day so we kept the keys..but up to now, we still have not collected the deposit. He also does not want to give us their new address...

if he ran away with our money, can we trace him with his IC no???can we report to the police or is it the small claims again?

Singapore Property Search

 

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39549
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 5:27 pm

I'm afraid it's probably the SCT again.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Our exlandlord has not given back the deposit

Post by ksl » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:36 am

morenangpinay wrote:our landlord from hell has not given back our deposit..we have moved out because he said the apartment has been sold. since the apartment was divided into two parts (where the other part is occupied by the landlord and the family) they are moving out as well. SO we told him in advance that the day we move out we want to collect the deposit and he told us he will return it. The move out day, we were told he will give it the next day so we kept the keys..but up to now, we still have not collected the deposit. He also does not want to give us their new address...

if he ran away with our money, can we trace him with his IC no???can we report to the police or is it the small claims again?
I'm not sure now, but i think he has 14 days to repay the deposit after you move out. If he doesn't pay take it to the small claims court, of course you will have to locate him though. if you have his IC its possible, though his old address will be on it. He may not pick his mail up if he's got bad debts, and will not notify the post office of his move. But he can still be found. Make a police report after 14 days, just to register the facts, then start the small cliams procedure.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 6:19 pm

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 8:20 am

okay we will see if he will pay us in 14 days...but i dont believe his promises.He has not paid us the previous expenses we incurred when we couldnt move in his house before..and he borrowed some money from my brother. He only managed to pay half of what he owed to him so his word is not credible. so il have to wait and see then.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 2:07 pm

morenangpinay wrote:okay we will see if he will pay us in 14 days...but i dont believe his promises.He has not paid us the previous expenses we incurred when we couldnt move in his house before..and he borrowed some money from my brother. He only managed to pay half of what he owed to him so his word is not credible. so il have to wait and see then.
Why on earth did your brother lend money to your landlord? :?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 1:42 am

morenangpinay wrote:okay we will see if he will pay us in 14 days...but i dont believe his promises.He has not paid us the previous expenses we incurred when we couldnt move in his house before..and he borrowed some money from my brother. He only managed to pay half of what he owed to him so his word is not credible. so il have to wait and see then.
Is it HDB or condo, if HDB you may catch him easy. Condo will be through an agent too, so he's traceable. We was able to trace the last owner of our property and they didn't want to be found, because of loan sharks. But we found them!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 6:19 pm

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 8:22 am

its an hdb ksl...how did u track him down?the police can help?

@jaycee well i suppose my brother wanted to be neighborly.we're just nice people.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:42 am

Unfortunately being nice doesn't get you very far in Singapore :(

It sounds like the landlord has money problems hence he doesn't want to give the deposit back, when he asked to borrow money from you that would have sent alarm bells ringing and you should have taken the money away from the next month's rent that you paid to him.

Good luck finding him, as it's an hdb then go to hdb and ask them for his details, if he's moved to another hdb then they will have details of that

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 11:49 am

JayCee wrote:Unfortunately being nice doesn't get you very far in Singapore :(
and it seems that machiavellian methods will. kiasu and office politics anyone? :(
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9856
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 1:23 pm

JayCee wrote:Unfortunately being nice doesn't get you very far in Singapore :(
Moreover, your courtesy will be often both unappreciated and abused. After almost a decade of living here I've been slowly learning to say cannotlah to any request that requires more than 30s of my private time. Oops, I'm complaining again :oops:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 1:27 pm

emphasis mine...
x9200 wrote:
JayCee wrote:Unfortunately being nice doesn't get you very far in Singapore :(
Moreover, your courtesy will be often both unappreciated and abused. After almost a decade of living here I've been slowly learning to say cannotlah to any request that requires more than 30s of my private time. Oops, I'm complaining again :oops:
you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9856
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Fri, 18 Jun 2010 1:36 pm

nakatago wrote:emphasis mine...
x9200 wrote:
JayCee wrote:Unfortunately being nice doesn't get you very far in Singapore :(
Moreover, your courtesy will be often both unappreciated and abused. After almost a decade of living here I've been slowly learning to say cannotlah to any request that requires more than 30s of my private time. Oops, I'm complaining again :oops:
you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.
:cry:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Sat, 19 Jun 2010 2:28 am

morenangpinay wrote:its an hdb ksl...how did u track him down?the police can help?

@jaycee well i suppose my brother wanted to be neighborly.we're just nice people.
We actually traced him through the agent that sold the house, becuase he acted for them, so he was quite upset that we was having so much hassle.

The guy was pulled in by the police and ordered to contact the people he had loaned money from or be prosecuted, for illegal loans. Problem solved, though two people that had loaned him money also called at the house asking for him, so I told them were to look for him, also took their pictures to be on the safe side.

HDB office is your best bet. He will be in big trouble if he's rented out to you illegally, as they have to get HDB permission.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 6:19 pm

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 7:59 am

as of today its the 9th day and the landlord isnt answering our calls and messages. We dont think his agent will help because previously the agent told us its between us and the landlord...

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 25 Jun 2010 8:50 am

...so I know a bunch of ninjas and their fees are very competitive with similar services. But if anyone except them asks, you did not get the information from me. :wink:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests