Singapore Expats Forum

Japanese in Iraq

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Japanese in Iraq

Postby briceloh » Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:39 pm

hey guys, just very curious about this thing after knowing that the japanese who got beheaded is a tourist??? What do u guys think about touring in that part of the world during these times? Aren't there better place to go to instead of taking the big risk?

Just wondering

Postby Just wondering » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 9:43 am

do you think it is possible this guy (since the news reported he did not have financial resources, came to the Country with very little monies and no accomodations) do you think could have been in search for work and thought to go there due to the crisis situation (he figured he could land a good paying job)? I don't know, this is just a shot into the dark guess but the paper I read said he'd traveled to Iraq on a bus from Jordan.

I feel for him (and all of the people who've been beheaded~it is really scary that our world has come to this) and yes, Iraq is not the ideal tourist spot, infact, I wouldn't go there for any amount of money.

And when you look at how these extremists plot destruction all over the world it is even scarier. I don't think anyone knows the answer to this situation but I heard a religious leader say this and I think it is quite true:

"Terrorism will only stop once the terrorists begin to love thier own sons more than they hate us."

I pray that this day comes soon, for my and your children's sake. The world is so different now than from when I was a child and it continues to grow progressively in the way of evil but I believe there is hope yet.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 3:04 pm

I would go to Iraq to work - The money would be good and I would also like to show these animals that this aort of rubbish does not work...

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Mon, 01 Nov 2004 8:05 pm

yeah, the times we live in now and our childrens' time in the future is so diff from when we grew up. i really hope these wouldn't last long too. it's so scary to have to bring our children into a world so uncertain....

jpatokal

Re: Japanese in Iraq

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:59 pm

briceloh wrote:hey guys, just very curious about this thing after knowing that the japanese who got beheaded is a tourist??? What do u guys think about touring in that part of the world during these times? Aren't there better place to go to instead of taking the big risk?

Traveling to Iraq right now is suicidally dangerous, in the most literal sense of the word.

But "that part of the world"? :roll: I'd be happy to travel in Israel, Syria, Jordan, Iran, pretty much any country in that region... although Gaza I'd skip for the moment. (I've been there once and don't exactly have a burning desire to return.)

Remember folks, there's a violent civil war raging just a short hop by plane or boat away from Singapore -- in Aceh, Indonesia. Does it make life in Singapore more dangerous?

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 9:38 pm

hmm...i think if the danger is well contained in a certain area, it'll be ok to travel to it's neighbouring countries. yeah rite, u best skip gaza for a while. lets hope there wouldn't be more problem with arafat not in power there. u think there'll be internal fighting over who to take over him if anything just happen to him now?