US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the House?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
agoodfella
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 3:53 am

US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the House?

Post by agoodfella » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 9:07 pm

OK, we've got a bunch of US kitchen appliances we are reluctant to just keep in the cupboard.

First, here are the electrical profiles for them (as far as we can tell):

Electric Grill: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Oven Toaster: 120v / 60Hz / 1090W
Water Boiler: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Coffee Maker: 120v / 60Hz / 1025W
Blender: 120v / 60Hz / 4.8amps (~528W)

So the question is, since most of these appliances don't need continuous plugging -- i.e. some will get less use (Grill / Boiler) some will get more (Coffee Maker):

Is there ONE single voltage transformer that will allow me to utilize all of the above appliances?

If so, what specifically should I ask for (and for bonus points, how much roughly am I looking to spend here)?

Many thanks in advance.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8352
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:42 pm

go with the highest power rating (wattage)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39633
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:55 pm

Actually, the best advice is "if it's got an electrical plug on it, and it doesn't have dual voltage built into it" don't bring it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8352
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Thu, 10 Jun 2010 11:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, the best advice is "if it's got an electrical plug on it, and it doesn't have dual voltage built into it" don't bring it.
well, yeah, but op seemed intent on bringing them. or has them here already.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39633
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:08 am

I love FT! Arrive without doing any homework. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sadhish
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:36 am

I wouldn't bother if I were you

Post by sadhish » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 5:44 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forum as I will be moving to Singapore soon (from Malaysia). But I am sort of a Electrical engineer so I'll throw in my two cents.

Anyway, SMB is right. Don't bother with it. Most of the appliance stated are very high wattage equipment. Even if you could find a transformer that met your requirements, the transformer itself would generate as much heat and sound as the equipment itself, if not more.

And you'll be using way more electricity which cost more money anyway so I would go ahead just buy local compatible appliances. The equipment listed is pretty generic anyway..


So bottom line is just because it can be done, doesn't mean that it should.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3524
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 2
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the Ho

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 7:00 am

agoodfella wrote:OK, we've got a bunch of US kitchen appliances we are reluctant to just keep in the cupboard.

First, here are the electrical profiles for them (as far as we can tell):

Electric Grill: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Oven Toaster: 120v / 60Hz / 1090W
Water Boiler: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Coffee Maker: 120v / 60Hz / 1025W
Blender: 120v / 60Hz / 4.8amps (~528W)

So the question is, since most of these appliances don't need continuous plugging -- i.e. some will get less use (Grill / Boiler) some will get more (Coffee Maker):

Is there ONE single voltage regulator transformer that will allow me to utilize all of the above appliances?

If so, what specifically should I ask for (and for bonus points, how much roughly am I looking to spend here)?

Many thanks in advance.
In Singapore the hz is 50 hz/60 hz hence it is switchable on AC . The Voltage is AC 230V.
In layman term, if the machinery is on 50 hz only and you are set up for 60 hz, it will slow the equipment dramatically vice versa. Hence in SG it is 50/60 hz.
You need to go for a step down VOLTAGE REGULATOR NOT STEP DOWN transformer AC 230 to AC 100>120 V. Rating should be at least 2000 W with voltage regulator if you are needing to use you a few simultaneously. Make sure the amps is 13 Amps on the stepdown and has several Two Flat Pin Output that is similar to US .
There are a few makes in SG and readily available. You have to shop around base on your budget
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

agoodfella
Member
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 3:53 am

Re: US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the Ho

Post by agoodfella » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:56 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
agoodfella wrote:OK, we've got a bunch of US kitchen appliances we are reluctant to just keep in the cupboard.

First, here are the electrical profiles for them (as far as we can tell):

Electric Grill: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Oven Toaster: 120v / 60Hz / 1090W
Water Boiler: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Coffee Maker: 120v / 60Hz / 1025W
Blender: 120v / 60Hz / 4.8amps (~528W)

So the question is, since most of these appliances don't need continuous plugging -- i.e. some will get less use (Grill / Boiler) some will get more (Coffee Maker):

Is there ONE single voltage regulator transformer that will allow me to utilize all of the above appliances?

If so, what specifically should I ask for (and for bonus points, how much roughly am I looking to spend here)?

Many thanks in advance.
In Singapore the hz is 50 hz/60 hz hence it is switchable on AC . The Voltage is AC 230V.
In layman term, if the machinery is on 50 hz only and you are set up for 60 hz, it will slow the equipment dramatically vice versa. Hence in SG it is 50/60 hz.
You need to go for a step down VOLTAGE REGULATOR NOT STEP DOWN transformer AC 230 to AC 100>120 V. Rating should be at least 2000 W with voltage regulator if you are needing to use you a few simultaneously. Make sure the amps is 13 Amps on the stepdown and has several Two Flat Pin Output that is similar to US .
There are a few makes in SG and readily available. You have to shop around base on your budget
Many thanks to all the replies.

Mad Scientist (or anyone else) any recommendations as to where to find this item and roughly how much am I looking at? Obviously if its going to be over 100+, need to re-examine if its all worth the hassle...

Thanks again

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8352
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the Ho

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 11:17 am

try simlim, the upper level shops.
agoodfella wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
agoodfella wrote:OK, we've got a bunch of US kitchen appliances we are reluctant to just keep in the cupboard.

First, here are the electrical profiles for them (as far as we can tell):

Electric Grill: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Oven Toaster: 120v / 60Hz / 1090W
Water Boiler: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Coffee Maker: 120v / 60Hz / 1025W
Blender: 120v / 60Hz / 4.8amps (~528W)

So the question is, since most of these appliances don't need continuous plugging -- i.e. some will get less use (Grill / Boiler) some will get more (Coffee Maker):

Is there ONE single voltage regulator transformer that will allow me to utilize all of the above appliances?

If so, what specifically should I ask for (and for bonus points, how much roughly am I looking to spend here)?

Many thanks in advance.
In Singapore the hz is 50 hz/60 hz hence it is switchable on AC . The Voltage is AC 230V.
In layman term, if the machinery is on 50 hz only and you are set up for 60 hz, it will slow the equipment dramatically vice versa. Hence in SG it is 50/60 hz.
You need to go for a step down VOLTAGE REGULATOR NOT STEP DOWN transformer AC 230 to AC 100>120 V. Rating should be at least 2000 W with voltage regulator if you are needing to use you a few simultaneously. Make sure the amps is 13 Amps on the stepdown and has several Two Flat Pin Output that is similar to US .
There are a few makes in SG and readily available. You have to shop around base on your budget
Many thanks to all the replies.

Mad Scientist (or anyone else) any recommendations as to where to find this item and roughly how much am I looking at? Obviously if its going to be over 100+, need to re-examine if its all worth the hassle...

Thanks again
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9894
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the Ho

Post by x9200 » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:43 pm

nakatago wrote:try simlim,

...tower
nakatago wrote:the upper level shops.

the basement shops :)

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the Ho

Post by durain » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 6:19 pm

agoodfella wrote:
Electric Grill: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Oven Toaster: 120v / 60Hz / 1090W
Water Boiler: 120v / 60Hz / 1500W
Coffee Maker: 120v / 60Hz / 1025W
Blender: 120v / 60Hz / 4.8amps (~528W)
you can get most of these for silly money in singapore if you are not bother about branded ones.

btw, the higher the wattage the step down transformer will take, the more expensive they are! and they are not very energy efficient!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5989
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:32 pm

not worth the hassle, give them to charity or some poor person so they can make a $ selling them on. Though I really doubt they are worth much to anyone in Singapore unless they have a the step down voltage.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 12 Jun 2010 7:24 pm

Just to point out... all of the appliances are resistive heating devices except the blender, so being 50 Hz versus 6 Hz won't matter much... they just eat up electric juice to get hot.

The blender will work with approximately 15 percent slower speed... and might be subject to premature failure depending upon the nature of the motor in it... the current an electric motor draws is dependent upon a number of things including load and speed.

I agree with the rest. Unless you are talking about a $2000 expresso/latte machine, buy them here. A sufficiently decent transformer will be well north of S$100, will hum, be heavy, take up space, and will reduce your electrical efficiency.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3524
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 2
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: US appliances: Is there an Electrical Engineer in the Ho

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 14 Jun 2010 6:55 am

agoodfella wrote: Mad Scientist (or anyone else) any recommendations as to where to find this item and roughly how much am I looking at? Obviously if its going to be over 100+, need to re-examine if its all worth the hassle...

Thanks again
OP

Look for this kind if you want to proceed. See link

http://www.international-electrical-sup ... ers13.html
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests