Starhub vs. Singtel, which to choose?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 1:12 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Starhub vs. Singtel, which to choose?

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 9:42 am

[quote="JayCee"]

I buy an IDT card for $8 which gives me 16 hours call time to UK landlines which works out just over 1 cent per minute.

Or if you sign up for their digital voice service and mobile plan at the same time, you get free calls to UK landlines and many other countries from your mobile. I've never paid 1c additional to call folks back in the UK, or family in Oz or USA...all the local call part is within my free minutes package.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Re: Starhub vs. Singtel, which to choose?

Post by JayCee » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:37 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
JayCee wrote:
I buy an IDT card for $8 which gives me 16 hours call time to UK landlines which works out just over 1 cent per minute.

Or if you sign up for their digital voice service and mobile plan at the same time, you get free calls to UK landlines and many other countries from your mobile. I've never paid 1c additional to call folks back in the UK, or family in Oz or USA...all the local call part is within my free minutes package.

Sounds pretty good if you want a contract for your mobile as I guess most people do. I don't personally as I don't use the phone that much so I have a prepay sim card combined with singtel 128 cards which costs roughly $25-26 for 50 days duration and I always end up with lots of unused credit when I top up

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Starhub vs. Singtel, which to choose?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:45 am

JayCee wrote:Sounds pretty good if you want a contract for your mobile as I guess most people do. I don't personally as I don't use the phone that much so I have a prepay sim card combined with singtel 128 cards which costs roughly $25-26 for 50 days duration and I always end up with lots of unused credit when I top up
...which you can use for web browsing and google maps! :D
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Re: Starhub vs. Singtel, which to choose?

Post by JayCee » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 12:35 pm

nakatago wrote:
JayCee wrote:Sounds pretty good if you want a contract for your mobile as I guess most people do. I don't personally as I don't use the phone that much so I have a prepay sim card combined with singtel 128 cards which costs roughly $25-26 for 50 days duration and I always end up with lots of unused credit when I top up
...which you can use for web browsing and google maps! :D
Really? I was never able to figure out how to use this sim card for web browsing, I thought because it was prepay and I was on the hot 128 card it wouldn't work, I'll have to investigate

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Starhub vs. Singtel, which to choose?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 1:01 pm

JayCee wrote:Really? I was never able to figure out how to use this sim card for web browsing, I thought because it was prepay and I was on the hot 128 card it wouldn't work, I'll have to investigate
you could search for instructions on how to set up web browsing (and MMS) on your phone in their sites. one method involves sending a formatted sms to them. the only caveat is that singtel won't let you use your 3G connection for browsing which can be painfully slow. if you're on prepaid, that is. but at least, it lets me use instant messaging (better than international SMS!) and google maps while on the go--wireless@SG is definitely no better than vanilla GPRS singtel prepaid is "offering"

it's 15 cents per kb, IIRC and will consume your "bonus" local top-up (the 100 portion of your 128).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 920
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 2:59 am

Post by Splatted » Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:05 pm

therat wrote:In term of broadband, I prefer Singnet , more stable. Con side is need to sign up a telephone line which need to pay $26.XX for every 3 mths. Even you didn't use it to make a call
Any naked adsl2+ options?

User avatar
SGBoyxxx
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 3:41 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by SGBoyxxx » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:09 pm

Splatted wrote:
therat wrote:In term of broadband, I prefer Singnet , more stable. Con side is need to sign up a telephone line which need to pay $26.XX for every 3 mths. Even you didn't use it to make a call
Any naked adsl2+ options?
:) just go to their websites

singnet , m1 and starhub to check.

There will be fibre optic connections soon but no news yet.

For the meantime is adsl/cable connections to choose .
mobile will be 3G.

jaema
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010 6:59 pm

Post by jaema » Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:56 pm

So ESPN moves to Singtel Mio at end of June/July as well? What about Star Sports?

I guess if we like sports and "drama" tv, we have to subscribe to both?

What about broadband - should I choose the 15mbps or 30mbps? I know this is a broad question, but not sure if I should pay up? Or maybe I should start at 30mbps and move up to 60 or 100 if needed? Hmmm....

openbox
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 12:01 pm

Post by openbox » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 1:19 am

it doesn't really matter btwn 15-30-60-100...
Unless you surf a lot of content heavy local sites. You're pretty much restricted to 2-5mb/s (and this is optimum conditions) when downloading anything overseas.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 1:27 pm

jaema wrote:So ESPN moves to Singtel Mio at end of June/July as well? What about Star Sports?
Same, Star sports and ESPN come as a package so both will be on mioTv and not Starhub.

The adverts on Starhub throughout the world cup coverage make me laugh, it starts with the cumbawumba song "I get knocked down but I get up again" and then they proceed to tell you how great their new sports package is going to be with NBA and, erm, WWE wrestling. The price for sports will reduce from 26 dollars down to 12 dollars, although in my house it will reduce from 26 to 0 dollars as there is no way I'm paying anything to watch NBA (I'd rather watch paint dry) or a bunch of long haired 'men' hugging eachother

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Jun 2010 1:31 pm

JayCee wrote:a bunch of long haired 'men' hugging eachother
they're not hugging each other; they're too busy trash talking, screaming into the mic.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests