Singapore Expats Forum

Incidents re: Children in Singapore - Urban Legend?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 3:44 pm

anneteoh wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Plavt wrote:Nakatago, the story around Bob Patefield is the kind of nonsense that happens all too frequently in Britain which is getting too much like America - ask a question or indulge in some hobby or favourite pastime and somehow your a number one terrorist suspect!


You're preaching to the choir; although I hear photographers are really treated badly in London. Hopefully, for all its unpopular views on governance, Singapore won't have something similar.


--- No one's badly treated by the police in London, Nakatago. But the police usually can't do anything until the court has decided. Britain is a nation proud of its civil laws. The police are sometimes frustrated - their stop and search rights are in a muddle. The public and the media are not too kind to the police here. In a few exceptions, like the photographer suspected of doing terrorist reconnoitre work being told off.


:o

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:32 pm

anneteoh wrote:It wasn't a scatty domestic lock-out. I was travelling, the brand new Buick was fully automated and I was in the middle of nowhere - imagine the size of the US. I was with my daughter who's six then, I had nothing with me as everything was inside the machine. And the keys were staring out from their position on the passenger's seat. It was scary and I still can never thank the kind American family enough whenever that confounding incident is remembered.


That doesn't change the fact that getting you back in your car, which you locked yourself out of, is not the job of the police.

missis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: Holland Road/6th Ave

Postby missis » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 5:54 pm

ksl wrote:
missis wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
ksl wrote:


As a side -track, when it comes to emergency situations, I found the police really inept. I once left my car keys in the Buick somewhere in the USA with the windows all shut except for one with a slight opening. I had everything inside the car. Luckily, I was in a rest area. Called the police and half a dozen turned up. They took notes, phoned etc, taking hours. After hours of consultations, they said I should walk to the nearest Buick master plant and ask for a copy of the key. Earlier on, I had spoken to a family in a travelling caravan - the guy came to help. He took a clothes hanger, inserted it through the top chink and pulled the door handle. Then he used the hanger to hook up the keys. He said the police never helps when help's needed.


You mean the police didn't fine you for completely wasting their time?


Sorry missis but i never said that, you have the wrong quotation :roll:


Oops, sorry KSL, wasnt aimed at you! I over-pruned the quote and messed it up! Quote was obviously anneteoh's.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 6:09 pm

Plavt wrote:That doesn't change the fact that getting you back in your car, which you locked yourself out of, is not the job of the police.


Who says that's not the job of the police? Especailly when there was a child too? Anyone in London facing a similar situation will get the police to help esp if they didn't have the AA or RAC subscriptions.

But I've side tracked and I apologise. The issue in this thread's about child abductors and what the community or police can do, isn't it? I can't ever forget the poor child Magdelene who was abducted from her bedroom in Portugal when she was four, never to be found again to this day.

This latest sickie in SG is either a scare story or someone's trying it out . I believe anything to do with abduction and esp of children should have everybody's vigilance.

Not just that, but a determination to get the criminals. It's never a joke.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 6:23 pm

anneteoh wrote: Anyone in London facing a similar situation will get the police to help


In London I dont even bother getting the police involved even if a stone was chucked through my car window, happened 4 times. The police are so understaffed if its not an emergency they will turn up about an hour or two later, then they will say if I didn't see anyone chuck the stone, it could have been thrown up form a passing car and thats it.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 6:29 pm

anneteoh wrote:Who says that's not the job of the police?


That should be obvious - they are concerned with criminal law and life-threatening and emergency situations, neither of which applied in your case.:roll:

But I've side tracked and I apologise. The issue in this thread's about child abductors and what the community or police can do, isn't it?


Try keeping your children safe - primarily the job of parents and carers.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 6:36 pm

anneteoh wrote:
Plavt wrote:That doesn't change the fact that getting you back in your car, which you locked yourself out of, is not the job of the police.


Who says that's not the job of the police? Especailly when there was a child too? Anyone in London facing a similar situation will get the police to help esp if they didn't have the AA or RAC subscriptions.

I don't think so and apparently you did not see the child as a factor as you did not mentioned it in your first post. More over if the situation was so dramatic as you try to paint it you would have done what I mentioned: smash a window and drive to the nearest place where you could have it fixed and not to expose the child to whatever was affecting her/him. And still you stayed there for a few hours.
Police may or perhaps even should help if they are at the spot already (as they pass by for example). Calling them for this sort of problems is simply irresponsible as there might be people that are REALLY in need for their help and their resources could be limited.

User avatar
ozchick
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
Location: Germany

Postby ozchick » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 7:26 pm

QRM wrote:Must be a Swiss national


Yeah what was that ? Why would a graffiti artist do this in Singapore? Sigh...mad buggers everywhere...
'Are you trying to tempt me because I come from the land of plenty?'

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 7:46 pm

x9200 wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
Plavt wrote:That doesn't change the fact that getting you back in your car, which you locked yourself out of, is not the job of the police.


Who says that's not the job of the police? Especailly when there was a child too? Anyone in London facing a similar situation will get the police to help esp if they didn't have the AA or RAC subscriptions.

I don't think so and apparently you did not see the child as a factor as you did not mentioned it in your first post. More over if the situation was so dramatic as you try to paint it you would have done what I mentioned: smash a window and drive to the nearest place where you could have it fixed and not to expose the child to whatever was affecting her/him. And still you stayed there for a few hours.
Police may or perhaps even should help if they are at the spot already (as they pass by for example). Calling them for this sort of problems is simply irresponsible as there might be people that are REALLY in need for their help and their resources could be limited.


--- So you know my situation today better than I did then myself. U know, I find your post here extremly trite. I reported what actually happened - and how do you now know it took 'hours'? Actually, there were people all around me - I had the good karma to have the support and care of the people around - some called the police - the police came instantly, everything happened and was it all over within less than an hour.

Why should I smash windows when there wasn't a need. Why, I can't understand how you can't appreciate some stranger's ingenuity in getting that window opened with a clothes hanger. That's the main point - an amazing feat by a stranger that could have helped save our lives.

And how was I not really in need - when I had nothing to go with - all my money , food, clothes, car keys, etc inside the car? As for my child, have you ever heard of accidents or travelling? I guess you keep your judgements to yourself. You obviously have a different culture and beliefs.

You do make a lot of assumptions for a reporter. Keep to the facts described in this event. You don't know better than I do what actually happened in this event.

I'd just say, some people live , some live on others and still some live on others to judge. HOW BORING and mean. Why don't you share your own adventures, if you have any.
Last edited by anneteoh on Mon, 21 Jun 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 8:02 pm

QRM wrote:
anneteoh wrote: Anyone in London facing a similar situation will get the police to help


In London I dont even bother getting the police involved even if a stone was chucked through my car window, happened 4 times. The police are so understaffed if its not an emergency they will turn up about an hour or two later, then they will say if I didn't see anyone chuck the stone, it could have been thrown up form a passing car and thats it.


Was that on the motorway? Or which part of London? I've lived here, off and on for 35 years and not once did anyone chucked anything on my car windows anywhere in London. But I'd had my windscreens smashed once -because some hooligans didn't like the Mini. On the motorway, there were little stones , perhaps a couple of times. But recently, there were a few cases of big stones and bricks being thrown to smash the windscreens - from the same spot on the motorway so that police can get the buggers.

I suppose there're no anti-social behaviour like this at all in SG. It's good karma to be living in SG.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 21 Jun 2010 8:23 pm

anneteoh wrote:
x9200 wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
Plavt wrote:That doesn't change the fact that getting you back in your car, which you locked yourself out of, is not the job of the police.


Who says that's not the job of the police? Especailly when there was a child too? Anyone in London facing a similar situation will get the police to help esp if they didn't have the AA or RAC subscriptions.

I don't think so and apparently you did not see the child as a factor as you did not mentioned it in your first post. More over if the situation was so dramatic as you try to paint it you would have done what I mentioned: smash a window and drive to the nearest place where you could have it fixed and not to expose the child to whatever was affecting her/him. And still you stayed there for a few hours.
Police may or perhaps even should help if they are at the spot already (as they pass by for example). Calling them for this sort of problems is simply irresponsible as there might be people that are REALLY in need for their help and their resources could be limited.


--- So you know my situation today better than I did then myself. U know, I find your post here extremly trite. I reported what actually happened - and how do you now know it took 'hours'? Actually, there were

My assumptions are based on yours statements only. Here is the one relevant to the above:

They took notes, phoned etc, taking hours. After hours of consultations, they said I should walk to the nearest Buick master plant and ask for a copy of the key. Earlier on, I had spoken to a family in a travelling caravan - the guy came to help. He took a clothes hanger, inserted it through the top chink and pulled the door handle.

I noticed the part "Earlier on" but then I assumed you would have notified the police if the problem was solved so they were not wasting more of their time. You did not actually? :shock:
[..]
And how was I not really in need - when I had nothing to go with - all my money , food, clothes, car keys, etc inside the car? As for my child, have you ever heard of accidents or travelling? I guess you keep your judgements to yourself. You obviously have a different culture and beliefs.

Obviously and you even can not imagine how I am thankful it is this way. Unfortunately whether you like it or not this is not up to you what I will do with my judgements.

You do make a lot of assumptions for a reporter. Keep to the facts described in this event. You don't know better than I do in this event.

Oh, it is again only based on what you have written.

I'd just say, some people live , some live on others and still some live on others to judge. HOW BORING and mean. Why don't you share your own adventures, if you have any.

Yes, correct here it starts again your small talk after loosing the nerves. I am truly sad for you as I guess it is never nice to be perceived as a selfish and irresponsible person. Please continue if this would make you feel better but unfortunately there is nothing I would like to share with you. This is more about the principles even if there is no hope the message will ever get through.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 2:00 am

missis wrote:
ksl wrote:
missis wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
ksl wrote:


As a side -track, when it comes to emergency situations, I found the police really inept. I once left my car keys in the Buick somewhere in the USA with the windows all shut except for one with a slight opening. I had everything inside the car. Luckily, I was in a rest area. Called the police and half a dozen turned up. They took notes, phoned etc, taking hours. After hours of consultations, they said I should walk to the nearest Buick master plant and ask for a copy of the key. Earlier on, I had spoken to a family in a travelling caravan - the guy came to help. He took a clothes hanger, inserted it through the top chink and pulled the door handle. Then he used the hanger to hook up the keys. He said the police never helps when help's needed.


You mean the police didn't fine you for completely wasting their time?


Sorry missis but i never said that, you have the wrong quotation :roll:


Oops, sorry KSL, wasnt aimed at you! I over-pruned the quote and messed it up! Quote was obviously anneteoh's.
No problem my dear! Those quotes take a little getting used to.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 2:24 am

ozchick wrote:
QRM wrote:Must be a Swiss national


Yeah what was that ? Why would a graffiti artist do this in Singapore? Sigh...mad buggers everywhere...


Maybe the Swiss role likes his bottom spanked and the UK cream bun, is still on the run, they are quackers! Reminds me of the naughty MP, being caught with their pants down and chained up in leathers, with a golf ball in the gob! S&M sunshine anything for a bit of pain! :roll:

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 2:45 am

x9200 wrote:[quote="anneteoh
They took notes, phoned etc, taking hours. After hours of consultations, they said I should walk to the nearest Buick master plant and ask for a copy of the key. Earlier on, I had spoken to a family in a travelling caravan - the guy came to help. He took a clothes hanger, inserted it through the top chink and pulled the door handle.[/i]


You do make a lot of assumptions for a reporter. Keep to the facts described in this event. You don't know better than I do in this event.

Oh, it is again only based on what you have written.

I'd just say, some people live , some live on others and still some live on others to judge. HOW BORING and mean. Why don't you share your own adventures, if you have any.


Yes, correct here it starts again your small talk after loosing the nerves. I am truly sad for you as I guess it is never nice to be perceived as a selfish and irresponsible person. Please continue if this would make you feel better but unfortunately there is nothing I would like to share with you. This is more about the principles even if there is no hope the message will ever get through.

X9200 [/quote]

Correction. I did not mean to mislead re my use of the word 'hours.' You're right to think I had taken much of the police time , but it did not run into hours; perhaps 30 mins at the most though they were busy consulting. I think I was interrupted at that time of writing that sentence - I meant after what seemed like hours.

Regarding the sharing, that was only a general suggestion and meant for you to put your interest elsewhere. You are free to speak for yourself. As for your sarcastic sympathy, it is really misplaced. You can put your messages across, but count me out. That'll be a relief.

To be honest, I only replied to your post as I did not want anyone to think that I chose to ignore them, nothing personal that I can be bothered with unless you step into my shoes.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 22 Jun 2010 5:47 am

ozchick wrote:
QRM wrote:Must be a Swiss national


Yeah what was that ? Why would a graffiti artist do this in Singapore? Sigh...mad buggers everywhere...


I can answer that for you

1. Temporary Insanity ?
2. Loss of self control ?
3. Mental Dehydration ?
:P
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests