Singapore Expats Forum

Incidents re: Children in Singapore - Urban Legend?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 1:47 pm

okay, so as an answer to my original question - i've received information from a very good friend that the story is in fact accurate (kids are in same play group). while elements may have been added to - it happened. she also mentioned an incident at changi this weekend that has also not been reported.

i also rec'd notice from my daughter's school (and like that from my son's) they said the incidents have been reported to police. whether or not it was sinister in nature... it's still an eye opener.

when i was a kid i was terrified of getting snatched by "moonies" and forced to sell roses on the highway in southern california. suppose like any crimes - it will always be there.

anyhow, if anything - it's made me (and my family) more aware.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 2:47 pm

QRM wrote:Maybe I should start one about a friend of a friend experience with a deranged Ang Mo who attacks Singaporeans for not holding doors open and waiting till the people in the lift get out. Ask all to be on a look out and send this warning to every one they know.

Seems a lot more effective than any courtesy campaign

lmao that's awesome! :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 4:04 pm

That's actually about one of our members of this forum and it did happen! :o :lol:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 5:00 pm

Uhm, I heard from "a friend" that "someone" went chasing after all those people... :lol:

raden888
Chatter
Chatter

Postby raden888 » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 5:21 pm

I heard from a ' very good friend' there was a Sasquatch sighting in AMK.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 5:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's actually about one of our members of this forum and it did happen! :o :lol:

hehehe That could have been me if I didn't practice yoga and meditation :D

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 1:46 pm

Read the newspaper article, so yes it appears to have happened more than once

eechim

Postby eechim » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 5:48 pm

i just read about it in the ST, surely that must mean it is all true :D

who knew singapore could be so exciting, what with the swiss vandal & now this...i was hoping to have a quiet life here....

x9200

Postby x9200 » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 8:20 pm

Is it anything else in the paper version? In the online one is just what was said here. BTW, interestingly there is also a news about the phone kidnap scam being on rise - scammers call and claim the kid was kidnapped and demand ransom. Coincident?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 11 Jun 2010 8:51 pm

the good thing about these rumors is that it will keep people in singapore from being complacent. not that it's a good thing in itself but remember, for every silver lining, there is a dark cloud.

--wait, what?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 17 Jun 2010 6:19 pm

A warning from the POLICE in the newspaper! There is no evidence to substantiate the truth, mistaken identity is common. The police will prosecute anyone spreading malicious gossip! As it causes panic in the community :-|

anneteoh

Postby anneteoh » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 5:24 pm

ksl wrote:A warning from the POLICE in the newspaper! There is no evidence to substantiate the truth, mistaken identity is common. The police will prosecute anyone spreading malicious gossip! As it causes panic in the community :-|

It's counterproductive for the police to issue warnings and arrests, turning it all into a police state.

Children's safety is a serious issue - I remember when my grandkids first came over from the pine forests of Sweden ( they did have a psycho who knived their PM), London being so full of things from the dark side, I was quite paranoid about their safety e.g. when some rough-looking fellows or weird stangers kept looking at the two beautiful blondes with Oriental traces, 3 and 6 years old. I prepared some kungfu chops!

Everyone should be armed with a camera and shoot the child abductor. If anyone heard anyone trying to abduct any child, they should just pin that person to the ground and phone the police. Easier said than done?

In the days when there were gangsters in SG, members of my friend's family were kidnapped twice. First, they kidnapped the grand old man but he escaped. Then they took her uncle and demanded a ransom of over $700,000. They paid , but he never returned.

However, SG's been cleaned up for good. Many will have PM LKY to thank for. I think if anyone smells a rat, they should speak up and raise public awareness. That's similar to neighbourhood crime watch. It's most appropriate for chavasi to ring the alarm bells.

As a side -track, when it comes to emergency situations, I found the police really inept. I once left my car keys in the Buick somewhere in the USA with the windows all shut except for one with a slight opening. I had everything inside the car. Luckily, I was in a rest area. Called the police and half a dozen turned up. They took notes, phoned etc, taking hours. After hours of consultations, they said I should walk to the nearest Buick master plant and ask for a copy of the key. Earlier on, I had spoken to a family in a travelling caravan - the guy came to help. He took a clothes hanger, inserted it through the top chink and pulled the door handle. Then he used the hanger to hook up the keys. He said the police never helps when help's needed.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 6:56 pm

anneteoh wrote:It's counterproductive for the police to issue warnings and arrests, turning it all into a police state.

:roll:

Everyone should be armed with a camera

any londoners want to chime in?

As a side -track, when it comes to emergency situations, I found the police really inept.

oh you should see japanese cops in action.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 8:04 pm

From what I have read of anneteoh's post it seems like so many she has fallen prey to the media-hype. There is no need for everybody to arm themselves with a camera. Look at the statistics, most child abuse is committed by people known to their victims, the same being true of rape and knife as the police should well know! Random attacks by strangers although they have occurred are mercifully rare in Britain.

Nakatago, the story around Bob Patefield is the kind of nonsense that happens all too frequently in Britain which is getting too much like America - ask a question or indulge in some hobby or favourite pastime and somehow your a number one terrorist suspect!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Jun 2010 8:06 pm

anneteoh wrote:
As a side -track, when it comes to emergency situations, I found the police really inept.

I doubt that many police forces in the world would consider somebody locking themselves out of their car an emergency, hardly life threatening is it? :roll: