Singapore Expats Forum

Will we get an PR renewal(atleast a yr extension)?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Will we get an PR renewal(atleast a yr extension)?

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 5:11 am

meetraj wrote:
Hi,
I am in the exact situation.Just that me PR renewal is in the Oct. So are you going back to Singapore and try to renew it ? or will be doing online?

Do share your experience though,thx

If you have not being residing or paying tax for the last three year prior your renewal in SG, please be prepared for rejection. Look it up at www.ica.gov.sg on PR application and renewal. There are certain criteria you need to adhere to.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Alternate thought.......

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:02 pm

Just wondering if a person could volunteraily pay tax on foriegn income just to retain their PR and apply for REP.......... can you still pay tax even if you do not get sent an IR8 tax assessment?? :roll:

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: Alternate thought.......

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:18 pm

FaeLLe wrote:Just wondering if a person could volunteraily pay tax on foriegn income just to retain their PR and apply for REP.......... can you still pay tax even if you do not get sent an IR8 tax assessment?? :roll:

You can pay but it wont be considered positive for the REP renewal. ICA will clearly know it has been done just for the REP renewal

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:49 pm

voluntary contributions are just that. You have to submit that yourself and even then it is not material to the granting of the REP. Anyway, a foreign employer couldn't contribute anyway as they don't have a Singapore UEN and without that, they are SOL and so are you. Contributing CPF is only putting your own money into long term savings. Income taxes put it in the gahmen's coffers.

If you have been out this long, without pre-arrangement with ICA for schooling purposes, you may was well stick your head between your legs and kiss it goodbye.

FaeLLe, It would be difficult as you would need to obtain an IR8A from the employer and they couldn't do that because they wouldn't have a UEN. 'fraid it wouldn't work.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 8:28 am

meetraj wrote:
joram wrote::???: Hi all .....
Am new to the forum but not to SG ....had lived their for almost 3yrs & A PR HOLDER ...but left SG within a yr's time we got PR...so hv been in the US for the past 4 yrs. Our PR renewal is coming in sep'2010. But we hv plans to move bac to SG at any cost this yr end. But what are the chances of getting atleast an yr's extension ? Hv anyone done like this b4 ? can u share ur views plz .....
Jo :o

Hi,
I am in the exact situation.Just that me PR renewal is in the Oct. So are you going back to Singapore and try to renew it ? or will be doing online?

You cannot do it online. You must submit in person. If outside Singapore, submit at the nearest Singapore mission. Oh, and do bring proof of 3 years of Singapore employment.

You really ought to read the website ICA has put up. And, I'm with the others... folks like you have really made it tougher for folks like me who got PR with the intention of staying in Singapore, long term.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Postby curiousgeorge » Thu, 19 Aug 2010 5:39 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
meetraj wrote:
joram wrote::???: Hi all .....
Am new to the forum but not to SG ....had lived their for almost 3yrs & A PR HOLDER ...but left SG within a yr's time we got PR...so hv been in the US for the past 4 yrs. Our PR renewal is coming in sep'2010. But we hv plans to move bac to SG at any cost this yr end. But what are the chances of getting atleast an yr's extension ? Hv anyone done like this b4 ? can u share ur views plz .....
Jo :o

Hi,

You cannot do it online. You must submit in person. If outside Singapore, submit at the nearest Singapore mission. Oh, and do bring proof of 3 years of Singapore employment.

You really ought to read the website ICA has put up. And, I'm with the others... folks like you have really made it tougher for folks like me who got PR with the intention of staying in Singapore, long term.

As I understand it, you can now renew REP online at http://erep.ica.gov.sg/erep/index.do

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 20 Aug 2010 4:04 am

CG

Yes you can do it online but you need a singpass to go forward

Alternatively this is another link to get done

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152

BTW the applicant will ask if they are currently being employed in SG or NOT. Alarm bell will rings if NOT working here.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Tue, 24 Aug 2010 6:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:FaeLLe, It would be difficult as you would need to obtain an IR8A from the employer and they couldn't do that because they wouldn't have a UEN. 'fraid it wouldn't work.

What if you continue receiving income in singapore but are non resident... ie. perhaps 11 out of 12 months in a year out of the country; receiving only per diem allowance for stay outside singapore.

Then the person should be ok for REP right?

Also I have heard somewhere that if you transferred outside Singapore but still working with the same firm out of the country for an extended period of time due to which you are not paying SG taxes then a REP is granted by ICA.

What if you are working for an MNC that has branches in Singapore but is now using you elsewhere, of course you were working in SG for them when you took up PR and paid SG taxes.

Does this still apply in this case? Will a mere letter from HR department work saying that they have now deployed you overseas suffice?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Aug 2010 9:23 pm

At the moment all that is academic as it's not the poster's situation. He took up another position with another company overseas and boogied off figuring he could screw the system by coming back just in time to renew his REP. Hopefully, we have one less PR abuser.

On the other hand if you are working for a Singapore Company and they have placed you temporarily overseas I believe it still will be considered as working in/for Singapore but would have to research it further with regard to the details/duration allowable.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 5:03 am

FaeLLe wrote:What if you continue receiving income in singapore but are non resident... ie. perhaps 11 out of 12 months in a year out of the country; receiving only per diem allowance for stay outside singapore.

Then the person should be ok for REP right?

Yes and no since he has to be in SG three years prior his REP in order to reapply as stated in the ICA website.
Also I have heard somewhere that if you transferred outside Singapore but still working with the same firm out of the country for an extended period of time due to which you are not paying SG taxes then a REP is granted by ICA.

Not sure on this , my staff assigned overseas all pay their taxes in SG. No brainer as SG tax is much lowered compare to their overseas placement country

What if you are working for an MNC that has branches in Singapore but is now using you elsewhere, of course you were working in SG for them when you took up PR and paid SG taxes.

If you go this route, then I said yes as what my staff has done.Supporting letter is necessary in the event ICA requested it

Does this still apply in this case? Will a mere letter from HR department work saying that they have now deployed you overseas suffice?

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 25 Aug 2010 2:04 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
FaeLLe wrote:Also I have heard somewhere that if you transferred outside Singapore but still working with the same firm out of the country for an extended period of time due to which you are not paying SG taxes then a REP is granted by ICA.

Not sure on this , my staff assigned overseas all pay their taxes in SG. No brainer as SG tax is much lowered compare to their overseas placement country

So the salary must be paid in Singapore and the employee's only income overseas should be a per diem allowance or monthly overseas allowance of some sort right.

Basically the entire salary must be paid out in Singapore to an account in SG so that the firm can generate an IR8 which allows you to pay Income Tax....