Singapore Expats Forum

Will we get an PR renewal(atleast a yr extension)?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
joram
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 03 Jun 2010
Location: NJ, US

Will we get an PR renewal(atleast a yr extension)?

Postby joram » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:28 pm

:???: Hi all .....
Am new to the forum but not to SG ....had lived their for almost 3yrs & A PR HOLDER ...but left SG within a yr's time we got PR...so hv been in the US for the past 4 yrs. Our PR renewal is coming in sep'2010. But we hv plans to move bac to SG at any cost this yr end. But what are the chances of getting atleast an yr's extension ? Hv anyone done like this b4 ? can u share ur views plz .....
Jo :o

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:59 pm

Chances? Slim to zero. They will want to see your last three years Singapore Tax when applying for the REP. No tax returns for the last three years? I wouldn't bet one red cent on the outcome. But you are from the Sub-continent aren't you.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 8:02 am

If you were in the US studying full time you may have a slim chance at getting a renewal for a year. Then you move back to Singapore year end, and share all that new knowledge in Singapore for the benefit of local companies. :)

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 8:32 am

Can't see any reason why your REP will be renewed as Singapore hasn't been your permanent residency for 4 years. looking up what PR actually stands for will surely answer your question?

It's cases like this where people are trying to abuse the PR system purely for their own benefit that has triggered the Gahmen to take a very close look at the whole PR system in the way they issue REP renewals and new PR approvals.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 9:54 am

wcs wrote:If you were in the US studying full time you may have a slim chance at getting a renewal for a year. Then you move back to Singapore year end, and share all that new knowledge in Singapore for the benefit of local companies. :)


wcs, I beg to differ on this. Those that were allowed to reapply for PR for further studies are usually on student visa studying in NUS or NTU when they were offered PR. Or on local scholarship. They were offered a place in overseas Uni for further studies and they give up their PR upon recommendation by ICA and comes back to SG after their MBA or PHD .
Even that their Overseas studies were at recognised Uni by SG Gahmen.
I have NOT come across whereby one was offered or apply PR thru work or living here BUT went overseas after that to work somewhere else and were given REP when the first one expired while living or working overseas all the time of his PR period.
Overseas work for that matter assigned by parent company in Singapore is a valid reason provided Income Tax are paid here in SG.
CPF contribution , owning a HDB house is NOT seen as contributing to SG economy and socio-benefits.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

joram
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 03 Jun 2010
Location: NJ, US

Postby joram » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 10:19 pm

:shock: Hey all ....
There are few things I wld like to clarify ...
First ....We got our PR right @ the time when my DH had commited himself for a job in the US. We cldn't backtrack then .So we left. We always wanted to settle in the SG but certain commitents had to be finished b4 that.
Second we did start contributing to the CPF, beginning this yr(it was a friend's idea.) Dunno will that atleast earn an extension atleast !! :roll:

See our concern now is that we get just the extension for a year, becos by then we wld surely be bac in the SG. I hv heard stories frm few friends that they hv got an yr's extension but that was in the old time . I dont know whats happening now !!

BTW, I never really expected such harsh answers frm friends arnd :shock:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Jun 2010 11:01 pm

You aren't getting harsh answers. You are getting the unvarnished truth. Which is more than it would seem than you are giving us.

Go back and read your own post. You applied for PR because you wanted to settle in Singapore. But this jobbie in the US came up so you figured PR could take a back seat, or you could somehow do both and abuse the system. How'm I doin' so far? Now the job in the US is withering on the vine and you want to come back to your last bolthole because your US chances are running out.

If you wanted PR to settle down here, then as far as I can see, you shouldn't have taken the US job. The fact that you did, has already indicated to the gahmen here that you aren't serious about residency so they are gonna do the right thing and disallow your REP. Permanent Residence is for Permanent Residents. You are not.

Why do you think pumping money into CPF is going to help? It's your money and again, the gahmen isn't stupid. Where else can you get the same returns, risk on risk? And giving up you PR gets it all back plus the interest. Nah. You've burned your bridges.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Tue, 26 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby wcs » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 1:12 am

Mad Scientist wrote:wcs, I beg to differ on this. Those that were allowed to reapply for PR for further studies are usually on student visa studying in NUS or NTU when they were offered PR. Or on local scholarship. They were offered a place in overseas Uni for further studies and they give up their PR upon recommendation by ICA and comes back to SG after their MBA or PHD .


I am happy to defer to your wisdom! You are the local who has seen a lot more scenarios play out than myself! :) It seems the going away because of further study did not even apply in their situation either. :)

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 4:09 am

joram wrote::shock: Hey all ....
There are few things I wld like to clarify ...
First ....We got our PR right @ the time when my DH had commited himself for a job in the US. We cldn't backtrack then .So we left. We always wanted to settle in the SG but certain commitents had to be finished b4 that.
Second we did start contributing to the CPF, beginning this yr(it was a friend's idea.) Dunno will that atleast earn an extension atleast !! :roll:

See our concern now is that we get just the extension for a year, becos by then we wld surely be bac in the SG. I hv heard stories frm few friends that they hv got an yr's extension but that was in the old time . I dont know whats happening now !!

BTW, I never really expected such harsh answers frm friends arnd :shock:


Joram

We just tell you the way it was and has always been. White is white , black is black. You cannot muddied the water and say it is brown now.
Like I said, CPF contribution is NOT a factor for your REP extension.
Whatever your reason for leaving SG and working in US is YOUR PERROGATIVE.
If you do not believe us, why don't you try online application at www.ica.gov.sg for your REP extension.
If you got it , good on you and congrats !! If you don't , well, at least I can say "I told you so"
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

joram
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 03 Jun 2010
Location: NJ, US

Postby joram » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:40 am

hmm..........ok...thanks for all ur inputs ....
jus one quick Q - are u all PR's or citizens ? :wink:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:19 am

MS is a Former Singaporean Citizen with one hell of a good network here! :wink:

I'm a very, very long time PR and there are other types here of all flavours in between.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:23 am

A proper PR :cool:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:26 am

Ta! :wink:

joram
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu, 03 Jun 2010
Location: NJ, US

Postby joram » Wed, 09 Jun 2010 9:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:MS is a Former Singaporean Citizen with one hell of a good network here! :wink:



:-k thats a pretty interesting status thou ....

meetraj
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 30 Jul 2010

Re: Will we get an PR renewal(atleast a yr extension)?

Postby meetraj » Fri, 30 Jul 2010 5:08 am

joram wrote::???: Hi all .....
Am new to the forum but not to SG ....had lived their for almost 3yrs & A PR HOLDER ...but left SG within a yr's time we got PR...so hv been in the US for the past 4 yrs. Our PR renewal is coming in sep'2010. But we hv plans to move bac to SG at any cost this yr end. But what are the chances of getting atleast an yr's extension ? Hv anyone done like this b4 ? can u share ur views plz .....
Jo :o


Hi,
I am in the exact situation.Just that me PR renewal is in the Oct. So are you going back to Singapore and try to renew it ? or will be doing online?

Do share your experience though,thx


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests