Singapore Expats Forum

I thought I was homesick...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

I thought I was homesick...

Postby poodlek » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:39 pm

And then I found out that my closest friend back home got badly injured by a hit and run driver last night. I feel so helpless and far away... Now I'm *really* homesick.

I'm trying not to make this all about me...he's the one that's hurt...but how do you guys cope when you get bad news from home?

PS The homesickness and the spicy sambal fried rice had me in tears at the food court. :?

missis
Chatter
Chatter

Postby missis » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 3:04 pm

It's tough and really frustrating when you are so far from home and bad things happen - makes you feel further away!
If you haven't already, send him a present e.g fruit, flowers, good book or DVD (Amazon, etc!) Just so they know you are thinking about them. Will make you feel a bit better too.
Not much but I hope this helps.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Jun 2010 3:32 pm

Well, as an old Oilfield hand who spend 60 days away from home at a time, one of the first things you learn is it's no sense fretting over it. Feeling badly? Why? Was it you fault? Will your being there make the problem go away? If not, then it's no sense dwelling on it. There was nothing you could have done to prevent it and there is nothing you can do to change it. Send get well wishes and if you can keep in touch fine. Had you been there and it had happened, you would have felt even more helpless wouldn't you.