Singapore Expats

So ARE there any Full Time Working Moms out there?

Juggling family and work is never easy. Discuss about it here.
fentonge

Post by fentonge » Sat, 22 Jan 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks for the number. Called her but unfortunately she is currently not available. :cry:

mumfromOz

Post by mumfromOz » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 8:00 pm

wow, so much good info here that i could have really used when i moved over in 2009...! i'm a full time working mum - have 2 kids currently in nursery/prenursery from 9-5pm - i pick them up at 5pm and head home.

the helper is great when i'm cooking and assists with the cleaning but needs direction constantly. she's really sweet though and nice to the kids which is important to me.

you can try this place - maranatha - they helped me find a nanny for a short while.

hope this helps!

beltim

Post by beltim » Mon, 07 Mar 2011 7:25 pm

Hi everyone... this is a great forum. I wondering if any of you know of any full time nannies who would be available from mid-June onwards? I'm currently on mat leave with my 2nd baby and will be heading back to full time work in July. Need a nanny to look after my baby at home. We have a helper, but she is fully occupied with the housework and picking up my toddler from day-care.

Any leads would be much appreciated... cheers

Ogdred Weary

Another newbie

Post by Ogdred Weary » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 7:59 am

Hi,

I'm another FTWM who has just found this forum. We moved over in Oct last year and still feel like we're settling in. I do a 40 hour week (on a good week, longer if not) and my husband also works FT.

We don't have a maid, but we really need a babysitter - my husband and I haven't been out without the kids since we got here! Does anyone know how to find someone who's happy to just do the occasional evening/night for us?

OW

aurorasig

Post by aurorasig » Sun, 27 Mar 2011 10:12 am

Hi...So glad to see this forum. I will be a full time working mom as well come June 2011 and need a daycare for my 1 yr old. Any suggestions? I haven't even considered which locations to live in yet but I will be working in the central business district...Any help would be great!!

ChrisTToph

can

Post by ChrisTToph » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 3:11 pm

Dear FTWMs,

you have my fullest respect...thumbs up!
I was alone with my kids for (only) 14 weeks while my wife was in hospital and know how tough it is to combine full time work and young child education.

Warmest regards
Chris
Last edited by ChrisTToph on Mon, 05 Sep 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 3:48 pm

Does she have the proper credentials to work legally in Singapore on a second job or self employment? If she's currently working on a EP or Letter of Consent she can't work at another job as well as she will be in violation of the LoC or EP.

We wouldn't want to see you all get yourselves in a bind with the MOM.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ChrisTToph

Post by ChrisTToph » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 4:42 pm

###########################
########## old post ###########
##########################

text is deleted...as my wife is not available as nanny anymore
Last edited by ChrisTToph on Mon, 05 Sep 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 5:43 pm

Then that begs another question.

Does she know of any like minded, similarly legals persons who would be interested in doing nanny duties?

Not that I need one, although in a couple more years I might, but in case there are other readers out there who would be interested. It could become a viable business as long as those with eligible residency could be found.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ChrisTToph

Post by ChrisTToph » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 9:32 pm

###########################
########## old post ###########
##########################

text is deleted...as my wife is not available as nanny anymore

Last edited by ChrisTToph on Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Last edited by ChrisTToph on Mon, 05 Sep 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wee Dram

Post by Wee Dram » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 1:54 pm

Hi

I would just like to introduce myself to the forum. My name is Liz and I have been working full time in Singapore for 6 months. I am mum to 5 year old boy and a 3.5 year old girl. We live on the east coast.

I am enjoying my time here and would like to meet more people outside of work.

:D

susanandmichael

Post by susanandmichael » Mon, 11 Apr 2011 3:17 am

Hi Liz

My name is Susan and I'm moving to Singapore in 2-3 months time. My partner is already over there working and myself and our little girl who is 2 will be moving very soon. I am just in the process of looking for a job as I intend to work full time also, would prefer to live on East Coast as well. I am presuming from your profile name you are scottish too. We are from Ayrshire and would love to get to know some people before I move. Let me know if your interested and I can send you my email address.

Susan

Wee Dram

Post by Wee Dram » Mon, 11 Apr 2011 9:08 pm

Hi Susan

We moved over to Singapore 6 months ago and so far so good. The kids seemed to have settled well - I think the nice weather and the pool in the condo has helped! We live on the east coast and really like it here but we are pondering a more central location when our lease is up for renewal.

At the moment the kids attend a local, private, bilingual kindergarten (similar prices to UK child care). The name of the school is Pat’s school house and I can highly recommend it. They attend the centre in Siglap and so far have had no issues with the Chinese language - I cannot believe how quickly they are picking it up! We are now looking at International Schooling for the kids but so far have not chosen a school yet.

We moved from a town in East Lothian and the kids sometimes ask for home or to go home but we just tell them that Singapore is now home and we have nice weather and a swimming pool! My husband works in IT project management and I am a Podiatrist in a local hospital. We are also in our 30’s :)

How is your partner settling in? How long has he been here? Does he want to meet up anytime?

My email address is [email protected]. Please feel free to contact me anytime and I look forward to meeting you when you move over.

Liz

tpchappers

Hi

Post by tpchappers » Mon, 11 Apr 2011 9:24 pm

Hi Guys,

We're moving to East Coast next week. We have two children (3 and 2) and both work full time. We've been here since August 2010 and have made some nice friends but not so many with kids, we're always looking for new friends for play dates, beer in the garden and chilling out at weekends!

Feel free to email [email protected]

Susan, I believe we are already friends on FB - looking forward to meeting up when you get here :-)

Theresa

susanandmichael

Post by susanandmichael » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 3:32 am

Hi Liz - I've sent you an email.

Hi Theresa - fancy meeting you here! :D Looking forward to meeting up soon.x